Good stock answers for “Why litigation?” or

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly

Re: Good stock answers for “Why litigation?” or

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is that anon.

I've had experience working in a law firm before (this summer, 1L, is my 4th summer working at a firm).

So I do have some basis for it.

Not saying you don't, but it might induce some eye-rolling for an associate or a partner to have someone who's been a summer associate (or summer college intern) talk about how passionate they are about litigation because of their summer work. I'm completely clueless as a 2L summer associate--the only thing I know is that what I'm doing during the summer is not very representative of what it is like to be an actual associate. (I sincerely doubt even the firms with the reps of having the more realistic summer program experiences are very like actual real life practice.)

I am at one of those "most realistic" summer programs, 90% of my assignments are researching topics supporting current/pending litigation in various stages. Usually a secondary argument that they don't want to devote a lot of time to when the brief/motion is due in a few days. I wouldn't go as far as saying I am experiencing actual real life practice personally, but my assignments/schedule follow the deadlines of the actually attorneys who are writing/submitting the motions and briefs, and I can see what real life daily practice is like as a litigator. I am certain that I now have a decent grasp of what litigation practice is like for a junior, both highs and lows. I was lucky enough to help out on some doc review, and I don't think it's very bad if it's not all you do. I think if you are on 2-3 cases and only one is in discovery, doc review is a decent way to bill some steady hours, as long as you are at other stages for the other cases so it's not all you do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I've had experience working in a law firm before (this summer, 1L, is my 4th summer working at a firm).

Not saying you don't, but it might induce some eye-rolling for an associate or a partner to have someone who's been a summer associate (or summer college intern) talk about how passionate they are about litigation because of their summer work. I'm completely clueless as a 2L summer associate--the only thing I know is that what I'm doing during the summer is not very representative of what it is like to be an actual associate. (I sincerely doubt even the firms with the reps of having the more realistic summer program experiences are very like actual real life practice.)

Fair enough. Of course, I wouldn't be suggesting that I understand the intricacies of litigation, but I feel (and I acknowledge that I could be wrong) that I've seen (and done) enough of the process to know that I enjoy researching to solve a problem and then molding that research into a solution, which is what (i assume) the heart of litigation is.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, I just find it hard to believe that what I said there would come off as disingenuous. but if it does I'll think about going another route

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:18 pm

tagged

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

I am at one of those "most realistic" summer programs, 90% of my assignments are researching topics supporting current/pending litigation in various stages. Usually a secondary argument that they don't want to devote a lot of time to when the brief/motion is due in a few days. I wouldn't go as far as saying I am experiencing actual real life practice personally, but my assignments/schedule follow the deadlines of the actually attorneys who are writing/submitting the motions and briefs, and I can see what real life daily practice is like as a litigator. I am certain that I now have a decent grasp of what litigation practice is like for a junior, both highs and lows. I was lucky enough to help out on some doc review, and I don't think it's very bad if it's not all you do. I think if you are on 2-3 cases and only one is in discovery, doc review is a decent way to bill some steady hours, as long as you are at other stages for the other cases so it's not all you do.

I wasn't trying to say that summer associates can't have a good understanding of what life at the firm would be like--I was just saying that telling associates and partners at a firm that you are passionate about something you really haven't fully experienced can come off as weird.

Anonymous User wrote:
Fair enough. Of course, I wouldn't be suggesting that I understand the intricacies of litigation, but I feel (and I acknowledge that I could be wrong) that I've seen (and done) enough of the process to know that I enjoy researching to solve a problem and then molding that research into a solution, which is what (i assume) the heart of litigation is.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, I just find it hard to believe that what I said there would come off as disingenuous. but if it does I'll think about going another route

Yeah, just maybe go with restrained optimism? "I feel like I've gotten some great exposure to what litigators might be doing on a daily basis, and I believe it is something that I would be good at as well as something that I would really enjoy doing."

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I love everything there is about litigation, but trying to explain my passion for litigation is like trying to explain what ice cream tastes likes.

Plagiarized, but nevertheless.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I wasn't trying to say that summer associates can't have a good understanding of what life at the firm would be like--I was just saying that telling associates and partners at a firm that you are passionate about something you really haven't fully experienced can come off as weird.

How do you propose to a woman you haven't lived with for 20 years?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I wasn't trying to say that summer associates can't have a good understanding of what life at the firm would be like--I was just saying that telling associates and partners at a firm that you are passionate about something you really haven't fully experienced can come off as weird.

Not sure if the partner you've talked to for anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes will trust what you're saying as much as said woman. (Now, if you propose to a woman you've talked to for a total of 10 minutes, she might think that's weird too.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Not sure if the partner you've talked to for anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes will trust what you're saying as much as said woman. (Now, if you propose to a woman you've talked to for a total of 10 minutes, she might think that's weird too.)

Ok that's not a perfect analogy. I was just trying to say that you can be passionate about something before fully experiencing something. I was passionate about several things previously, and years later I still have not experienced fully, but it doesn't mean I can't be passionate about it.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:26 pm

tagged

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Ok that's not a perfect analogy. I was just trying to say that you can be passionate about something before fully experiencing something. I was passionate about several things previously, and years later I still have not experienced fully, but it doesn't mean I can't be passionate about it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was just trying to explain why it may come off as insincere like the previous posted had mentioned happened.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Tagged

Return to “Legal Employment”