Ranked 2nd at UofIllinois. Lock for chicago biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ranked 2nd at UofIllinois. Lock for chicago biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Will I score an OCI big law job for sure, even if I'm not good at interviewing? Or do I need to spend time mass mailing too?

Anonymous User

Re: Ranked 2nd at UofIllinois. Lock for chicago biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Very good shot, but nothing is ever a sure thing. Work on your interview skills and do targeted mailings.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm

I would be shocked if no, but you still need to prepare like it is your job, not like the job is yours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very good shot, but nothing is ever a sure thing. Work on your interview skills and do targeted mailings.

What do you mean targeted? Tailored specifically to whatever firm I'm mailing? How much detail does one need to go into when doing this?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:17 pm

That's funny that you're second because actually a person ranked second at Illinois last year struck out. But I wouldn't worry too much. You are essentially a lock unless your personality is as bad as that person's, and that seems doubtful

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:That's funny that you're second because actually a person ranked second at Illinois last year struck out. But I wouldn't worry too much. You are essentially a lock unless your personality is as bad as that person's, and that seems doubtful

Wow. So mass mailing is a definite yes. Good to know

attractive_NUisance

Postby attractive_NUisance » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Write 2-3 sentences of a good cover letter that takes your background and tailors it to the particular firm you are applying to, the rest can be the same. You can use "mail merge" to make the process go faster.

It is always worthwhile to mass mail no matter where you are ranked and to get such a high rank you are probably not averse to going the extra mile.

Remember not to be a jerk who hoards offers though - so email to withdraw from places you applied to but would not consider as soon as you get an offer from a firm you like more to free up interview slots for your classmates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:26 pm

By targeted mailing, I meant sending materials to firms for which you can articulate a reason as to "why X firm." Practice area you can demonstrate interest in, preferably backed up with experience. But if not, just make it sound like you have looked at the firm and understand what they do. Makes it easier to sell yourself to them if you know what they're looking to buy. If you're interested in litigation, don't send to a firm that does almost exclusively corporate work. If you have absolutely no interest in and cannot demonstrate an interest in family, don't mail the largest family law firm. Common sense. You want to get the most bang for your time, so target the firms you have the best chance of selling yourself to.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Grades shouldn't be an impediment to success, but you still can't take any interviews for granted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 pm

IIRC a few years ago the number 1 student at UTA struck out at OCI. Maybe the number 1 student at Harvard is a lock. Less than that, and things seem kinda dicey.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 pm

If you interview as if you think that you're a lock, you probably won't get a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:That's funny that you're second because actually a person ranked second at Illinois last year struck out. But I wouldn't worry too much. You are essentially a lock unless your personality is as bad as that person's, and that seems doubtful

Lul, I was going to post the same thing.

There were 5-6 people in the top 10% who struggled, but almost everyone eventually found a job. If you don't have an enthusiastic, outgoing personality, fake it.

Return to “Legal Employment”