scarinci hollenbeck

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

scarinci hollenbeck

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Has anyone ever heard of this NYC/NJ firm? The professor who wrote my law school letter of recommendation just was named a partner there and put in charge of one of their practice groups. I'm going to reach out about 2L employment, but I don't even know if they have a SA program. Seems midlaw(ish) from their number of attorneys (around 75).

Any info somebody could pass along would be great.

abc12345675

Re: scarinci hollenbeck

Postby abc12345675 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Never heard of it, sorry.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 pm

They don't seem to have an NALP card and their most recent grad is from the C/O 2008

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:18 pm

So mostly laterals do you think?

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Sounds like it, yeah. Also could just be a relatively small firm without much hiring. Some "old guards" so to speak. And then they just hire a new associate when needed, probably every few years, and probably for not much money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 pm

abc12345675 wrote:Sounds like it, yeah. Also could just be a relatively small firm without much hiring. Some "old guards" so to speak. And then they just hire a new associate when needed, probably every few years, and probably for not much money.

Hmm. So probably no prospects at all, huh? Maybe this guy being head of an entire practice group can decide he likes me and would like an associate in that particular group? Which is actually a subject matter than I have a fairly extensive background in. Or am I being irrationally optimistic?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:Sounds like it, yeah. Also could just be a relatively small firm without much hiring. Some "old guards" so to speak. And then they just hire a new associate when needed, probably every few years, and probably for not much money.

Hmm. So probably no prospects at all, huh? Maybe this guy being head of an entire practice group can decide he likes me and would like an associate in that particular group? Which is actually a subject matter than I have a fairly extensive background in. Or am I being irrationally optimistic?

you miss all the shots you don't take, brodog

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:46 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's very true. Can't hurt calling the guy up and expressing interest in working there and maybe having some points prepared for why you could contribute. If you have a background as you said, maybe you can come up with something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:54 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's very true. Can't hurt calling the guy up and expressing interest in working there and maybe having some points prepared for why you could contribute. If you have a background as you said, maybe you can come up with something.

So how exactly would I approach this?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SH Employee

Postby SH Employee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone ever heard of this NYC/NJ firm? The professor who wrote my law school letter of recommendation just was named a partner there and put in charge of one of their practice groups. I'm going to reach out about 2L employment, but I don't even know if they have a SA program. Seems midlaw(ish) from their number of attorneys (around 75).

Any info somebody could pass along would be great.

Hi! I am an SH Employee. Maybe I can shed some light onto your question.

Yes, we are a midsize firm with new growing practice groups and offices. We have three locations, two in Jersey and one in NYC. We are headquartered in Lyndhurst (Around the block from Medieval Times). It is correct that there are some Laterals, but overall our firm has done some considerable hiring since January of 2011. Mostly in the new partner/counsel positions, since we are repositioning ourselves and expanding our services. Our Associate’s base pay is actually not bad. A story from one Counsel here once said to me "I really love working for Scarinci Hollenbeck. The work-life balance they offer here is unlike other firms I have been to in the past. They really care about the cultivation of an Associate and it shows true in me. I work closely with the partners, I attend trials, am given opportunities some of my friends I graduated with, who where hired by big firms did not get..." I have to agree with the work-life balance. Obviously, times can be stressful in the midst of a big case, but overall the firm has a good atmosphere and the partners are engaged. "The Old Guard" here still has a few tricks which is nice to see being a younger less experienced employee.

My suggestion would be to follow up on the lead. If your professor was elected as a new partner here, than most likely he/she is one of our new mover and shakers and helping shape the expanding groups. It never hurts to test the water. It is true we haven't had many associate hires recently, but as the firm grows the prospect of hiring a good associate becomes more likely. If I may ask, are you looking to be a New Jersey Lawyer or a New York? Our New York office is growing and their could be opportunity there in the near future.

Hope this helps

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Thank you VERY much for the helpful information. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I would be more interested in New York. But would be okay with New Jersey. Just want to be in the tri-state area.

SH Employee

Postby SH Employee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 pm

No problem. Glad I could help. If you have any other questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 pm

When you said that the New York office is growing, how so?

Also, you stated that the associate pay is "not bad." How does it compare to the market rate at big firms of $160K?- Is it 50% of that? 75% of that?

Thank you very much.

SH Employee

Postby SH Employee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, these are questions I can not discuss here. All I can say is our New York Office will be on the move and growing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:53 pm

So guys, after reading the above thread, how do you suggest I go about this? Say something like "hey remember me? I really am interested in your firm and I hear the firm is growing. I'd love to discuss any opportunities you may have."

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:13 pm

I would just send a package to him with all the stuff you'd normally put in a mass mailing. It will just be a lot more personalized.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 am

Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Bump. I'd really like to hear from some others

Postby 005618502 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 pm

That is crazy that a SH employee happened to see that, creat an account, and answer your questions. If its legit that was very nice of them. Either way I would contact him and ask him about the firm and if they are expanding. Show you are interested. Then ask him what someone would have to do (grades, process, etc) to get the chance at a position there.

Hope this works out for you!

SH Employee

Postby SH Employee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:That is crazy that a SH employee happened to see that, creat an account, and answer your questions. If its legit that was very nice of them. Either way I would contact him and ask him about the firm and if they are expanding. Show you are interested. Then ask him what someone would have to do (grades, process, etc) to get the chance at a position there.

Hope this works out for you!

It was legit :D and still watching :D I wish I could offer you more advice or help. I think the quoted above is a best case scenario approach.

Return to “Legal Employment”