Employment law as target practice area for 3L job search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employment law as target practice area for 3L job search

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Does anyone have any idea about the hiring needs for employment law? I have heard the advice that a good way to job search as a 3L is to gain expertise/interest in a specific practice area and am doing some work related to employment law this summer. If I were to seek out firms with employment law practices (or focused entirely/mostly on employment like Jackson Lewis) as a way to target my mass mailing/networking, would I find people hiring?

In general, what practice areas tend to be good ones to "target" or show a particular interest in?

I am still torn between seeming completely rudderless versus expressing interest in a practice area for which the firm is not hiring. This seems to be a danger if firms are hiring 3Ls but not specifying for which practice areas.

Return to “Legal Employment”