Top 33-40% at T20 - What Can I Expect?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fingersxd

Top 33-40% at T20 - What Can I Expect?

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 am

Looking to work in NY. Any chance in biglaw? Almost 4yr WE. Above average, but unexceptional softs. Any suggestions on targeting bidding?

de5igual

Re: Top 33-40% at T20 - What Can I Expect?

Postby de5igual » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am

Depends which T20.

UCLA/USC/UT/Vandy - a shot
Minnesota/WUSTL/etc - not so much

Peg

Postby Peg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:57 pm

f0bolous wrote:Depends which T20.

UCLA/USC/UT/Vandy - a shot
Minnesota/WUSTL/etc - not so much

+1

It really depends on what firms you target in NYC though. That's where I want to work as well (native New Yorker) and I come from a similarly ranked school as the OP. Different firms in New York have different rank cutoffs, plus check to see if you have UG or law school alumni at the firm who are senior associates or partners. Call them and try to establish connections.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:56 am

Looks like Vandy.

OP, poast your actual GPA. I bet your rank is higher than you think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Not OP but same question, similar background, but worse ranking (3.25 GPA). I have no idea what Vandy's actual median is but I've seen guesses of 3.15-3.25 so I guess I'll be looked at as a median student at OCI. Any advice/strategy for NYC?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP but same question, similar background, but worse ranking (3.25 GPA). I have no idea what Vandy's actual median is but I've seen guesses of 3.15-3.25 so I guess I'll be looked at as a median student at OCI. Any advice/strategy for NYC?

Median is probably like a 3.17. You're somewhat above median. NYC chances are blah. What other markets you have ties to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not OP but same question, similar background, but worse ranking (3.25 GPA). I have no idea what Vandy's actual median is but I've seen guesses of 3.15-3.25 so I guess I'll be looked at as a median student at OCI. Any advice/strategy for NYC?

Median is probably like a 3.17. You're somewhat above median. NYC chances are blah. What other markets you have ties to?

Nashville, Houston, ATL, NOLA - all have to be long-shots, right?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Nashville, Houston, ATL, NOLA - all have to be long-shots, right?

People with your grades who get biglawlz (and it's tough to know because people don't talk about grades) tend to have WE/IP/URM. If you have that, awesome.

Some people get jerbs by having ties to a small, insular market. I don't know what ties you have to NOLA, but if you grew up there, that might fit the bill.

Don't waste time bidding on Nash at OCI, unless you have strong Nashville ties. People with insane GPAs bid those. With 50/50 lottery/preselect, you have to use all your top spots to get interviews with those firms if you don't have strong ties. Nashville firms are also grade-sensitive. They're pretty competitive.

Houston seems to want 3.3 and above (so roughly top third), but it's probably worth pursuing. Don't know much about Houston.

ATL big firms like really high GPA. They aren't that sensitive or amenable to just people w strong ties. Those big firms like to take the top of the class at Southern schools.

Return to “Legal Employment”