3.4 at NYU, any chance at V20

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Re: 3.4 at NYU, any chance at V20

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:53 am

...and asking for an interview.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 am

Bump down STB, DPW, Cravath, S&C, maybe Cleary (very popular at NYU but they are still out of many people's range and have a ton of spots). Bump up Mofo, Ropes, Sidley. Make sure to keep Debevoise, Kirkland and Weil ranked high, they will fill up fast.

This isn't your whole bidlist is it? Doesn't look like 50 to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
WODKilla123 wrote:All flaming aside, can I get some real quick advice on my bidlist. (Bay Area native)

NYC (in order)

Skadden
Weil
Kirkland
Latham
Cleary
Debevoise
Milkbank
Ropes
Cahill
White & Case
STB
DPW
Shearman
Cravath
S&C
Schulte
MoFo
Hughes Hubbard
Fried Frank
Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
Proskauer Rose
Sidley Austin
Jones Day
GDC

San Francisco (no IP background)

Wilson Sonsini
Latham
MOFO
Orrick

Los Angeles (no ties other than from San Fran and brother lives there)
Latham
GDC
OMM

San Diego (no ties other than from San Fran)
Latham

I'm not sure if this is your bid order, but here are a few anecdotes from my EIW experience last year:

STB was underbid, and I got DPW, Cravath, Cleary and S&C in the 20s. CWT I wouldn't bother with inside of 20. You will have to bid Kirkland, Weil and Skadden 1 or 2 to get them, unless they drastically increased the amount of interview slots this year. I lost out on Sidley had them at 10ish (I think they had around 60 interview slots). I schmoozed my way into interviews at JD and Fried Frank (didn't bid either).

Also, your height will matter inasmuch as it is indicative of your interview skills. Your undergrad means jack shit unless you went to HYP or have a B.S. in a hard science and are IP-bound (which you are not).

Can you talk about how you "schmoozed" your way into 2 interviews? Just showing up and... what?

...and talking to Associates, Partners, and recruiting folks in HR. It's not rocket science.

Be personable, demonstrate knowledge about the firm, have a story to tell as to why Firm X, why law school, why you didn't get a screener. Talk about work experience. Have a decent transcript and resume.

Also, I sent resumes/cover letters to firms that I didn't get interviews with before EIW; in many instances the HR people recognized my name when I walked through the door and introduced myself.

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:32 pm

any firms that I should drop off from the list entirely. Like Cravath/S&C. Not sure I even have a shot there..

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:35 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:any firms that I should drop off from the list entirely. Like Cravath/S&C. Not sure I even have a shot there..

You probably don't, which is why you should stick them toward the bottom of your list. Don't use up more valuable bids on them. Because most people don't think they have a shot, they won't bid. If you end up with a Cravath interview after you bid them at 40-something, then that's great, it's worth a shot, but don't prioritize them over a firm that's a good fit.

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:23 am

Update: we got our interview list back and I luckily secured screeners at the four firms I want to work most at: Skadden, Latham, Kirkland NY, Weil.

Any tips to getting a seat at one of these firms? Is it appropriate to mention that I'm really drawn to their "work hard, play hard" fratty culture- since it's true and one of the main reasons I'm drawn to these firms via a vis peer firms who are staffed on similar caliber deals?

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Bump

Return to “Legal Employment”