Big Law Prospects? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law Prospects?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:56 am

JD/MBA student at T-25 school. Safely within top 25%, outside chance at top 20% (not yet known), law review.

Want to work in DC preferably, interested in corporate law, what firms should I be focusing on?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Big Law Prospects?

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Want to work in DC preferably, interested in corporate law, what firms should I be focusing on?
NYC firms.

XM3045

New

Post by XM3045 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:25 am

rad lulz wrote:NYC firms.
This. Plus maybe Latham DC.

Why do you want to be in DC if you are interested in corporate law?

.375 H&H Mag.

New

Post by .375 H&H Mag. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Want to work in DC preferably, interested in corporate law, what firms should I be focusing on?
NYC firms.
Please elaborate. Better chances there?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:50 am

.375 H&H Mag. wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
NYC firms.
Please elaborate. Better chances there?
That's where the corporate work is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:53 am

XM3045 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:NYC firms.
This. Plus maybe Latham DC.

Why do you want to be in DC if you are interested in corporate law?
Mostly because it's where I would prefer to live. I was more trying to get an idea as to what level of firm I would be competitive for rather than what firms offer the best corporate law work.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:06 pm

It depends on what T-25

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:07 pm

1. DC firms are all about litigation. Corporate practice exists there, but it's marginal. The real action happens in NY.

2. DC firms are also significantly more competitive than NYC firms. While I can't speak to your specific odds at landing NYC BIGLAW, they're certainly much better than landing DC BIGLAW. For instance, when I was going through recruiting as an HLS 2L (grades were roughly top 15-20% at the time), I got callbacks/offers at virtually every NYC firm to which I applied, and those were all in the V20 or higher range. In contrast, I only got two callbacks of the six DC firms with which I interviewed. To be fair, though, the six firms were at the top of the DC heap (i.e. W&C, Sidley, Gibson, etc.).

Keep in mind that these were my results as someone with strong grades from HLS. The bar will be higher for someone coming from a T25.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. DC firms are all about litigation. Corporate practice exists there, but it's marginal. The real action happens in NY.

2. DC firms are also significantly more competitive than NYC firms. While I can't speak to your specific odds at landing NYC BIGLAW, they're certainly much better than landing DC BIGLAW. For instance, when I was going through recruiting as an HLS 2L (grades were roughly top 15-20% at the time), I got callbacks/offers at virtually every NYC firm to which I applied, and those were all in the V20 or higher range. In contrast, I only got two callbacks of the six DC firms with which I interviewed. To be fair, though, the six firms were at the top of the DC heap (i.e. W&C, Sidley, Gibson, etc.).

Keep in mind that these were my results as someone with strong grades from HLS. The bar will be higher for someone coming from a T25.
Thank you for the feedback. I was not aware that my chances were better in NYC, in fact I was thinking the opposite (although I did plan on applying to firms in NYC in addition to DC, Philadelphia, and DE).

For the record, in addition to corporate law, I also have interest in Bankruptcy, M&A, and potentially Securities or any other field of the law that will enable me to use my finance background. I'm not sure whether that will change people's opinion that NYC is clearly a preferable destination, but I figured that I should expand on my legal interests.

At any rate, thanks to all for their feedback. Any additional feedback on where I may be competitive or where my MBA may enhance my profile beyond my JD rank would be much appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:08 pm

As others have mentioned, NYC is generally better for corporate, M&A and bankruptcy, but there are firms in DC with strong practices in those areas. You should also consider Big Fed (which is just as competitive) with an emphasis on finance and securities. But it'll get you DC in an area you are interested in and can sell yourself because of your background.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:20 pm

DCDuck wrote:As others have mentioned, NYC is generally better for corporate, M&A and bankruptcy, but there are firms in DC with strong practices in those areas. You should also consider Big Fed (which is just as competitive) with an emphasis on finance and securities. But it'll get you DC in an area you are interested in and can sell yourself because of your background.
Correction. Big Fed is more competitive than BIGLAW, whether in DC or elsewhere. Fewer positions + hiring freeze = almost impossible to get a Big Fed job these days. Better luck in a few years with some experience elsewhere and a (hopefully) improved economic atmosphere.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I don't remember off the top of my head (nor can I currently look it up) but some firms give preference to JD/MBAs
During thè heyday, those firms gave signing bonuses for JD/MBA, or would pay scale as a second year associate; not sure if they still do

.375 H&H Mag.

New

Post by .375 H&H Mag. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:31 pm

dingbat wrote:I don't remember off the top of my head (nor can I currently look it up) but some firms give preference to JD/MBAs
During thè heyday, those firms gave signing bonuses for JD/MBA, or would pay scale as a second year associate; not sure if they still do
Paul Hastings. Goodwin Procter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote: For the record, in addition to corporate law, I also have interest in Bankruptcy, M&A, and potentially Securities or any other field of the law that will enable me to use my finance background. I'm not sure whether that will change people's opinion that NYC is clearly a preferable destination, but I figured that I should expand on my legal interests.
no offense, but how can you have a finance background, be an MBA student, and think that any legal market even approaches NYC in terms of opportunities for bankruptcy, M&A, and securities? NYC has by far the most biglaw jobs. it has the most banks. it is the financial center of the country and the world. it has wallstreet. it has a huge number of f500 companies. if you want to do traditional transactional work, NYC will almost always be your best bet (with few exceptions, ie for VC/start up work, go to SF/SV).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:39 pm

shmoo597 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: For the record, in addition to corporate law, I also have interest in Bankruptcy, M&A, and potentially Securities or any other field of the law that will enable me to use my finance background. I'm not sure whether that will change people's opinion that NYC is clearly a preferable destination, but I figured that I should expand on my legal interests.
no offense, but how can you have a finance background, be an MBA student, and think that any legal market even approaches NYC in terms of opportunities for bankruptcy, M&A, and securities? NYC has by far the most biglaw jobs. it has the most banks. it is the financial center of the country and the world. it has wallstreet. it has a huge number of f500 companies. if you want to do traditional transactional work, NYC will almost always be your best bet (with few exceptions, ie for VC/start up work, go to SF/SV).

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. DC firms are all about litigation. Corporate practice exists there, but it's marginal. The real action happens in NY.

not to derail this thread but I wouldn't consider Sidley and Gibson to be elite in DC

the elite in DC are W&C, Covington, Wilmer, and to a lesser degree Arnold & Porter......these are the words of a partner (at another firm not in this group) in DC that I interviewed with

Gibson is only elite in the sense of their appellate practice but if we're going by just one practice group then Jenner & Block would also be elite.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Magnificent wrote:

not to derail this thread but I wouldn't consider Sidley and Gibson to be elite in DC

the elite in DC are W&C, Covington, Wilmer, and to a lesser degree Arnold & Porter......these are the words of a partner (at another firm not in this group) in DC that I interviewed with

Gibson is only elite in the sense of their appellate practice but if we're going by just one practice group then Jenner & Block would also be elite.
Despite the fact that Magnificient is generally an unbearable troll, TITCR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vegeta

New

Post by vegeta » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 pm

What's Big Fed? I'm guessing DOJ, but what else?

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm

vegeta wrote:What's Big Fed? I'm guessing DOJ, but what else?
not really

Big Fed are the elite legal offices in the government (not all are in DOJ). The top ones are Office of Legal Counsel in DOJ, Office of Legal Adviser in State, and the Solicitor General's Office. Getting hired at one of those offices is the equivalent of getting a feeder clerkship in terms of credentials. Others departments like DoD and the SEC have credited legal offices as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:16 am

Magnificent wrote:
vegeta wrote:What's Big Fed? I'm guessing DOJ, but what else?
not really

Big Fed are the elite legal offices in the government (not all are in DOJ). The top ones are Office of Legal Counsel in DOJ, Office of Legal Adviser in State, and the Solicitor General's Office. Getting hired at one of those offices is the equivalent of getting a feeder clerkship in terms of credentials. Others departments like DoD and the SEC have credited legal offices as well.
OLC and OSG aren't equivalent to feeder clerkships, they're equivalent to SCOTUS clerkships. More realistic (i.e., they actually make entry level hires) and elite are Civil Appellate and Federal Programs.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:17 am

Would this anon pm me please. Thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 pm

How would top 20% at W&L/W&M/GMU do in Richmond/DC? Secondary Journal. Still trying to figure out what type of law I want to practice and open to most, but leaning towards Corporate/M&A?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would top 20% at W&L/W&M/GMU do in Richmond/DC? Secondary Journal. Still trying to figure out what type of law I want to practice and open to most, but leaning towards Corporate/M&A?
I don't suspect there is much corporate/M&A work in Richmond

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Ya from what I've looked at so far it seems McGuire/Woods does corporate law in Richmond and LeClair Ryan does M&A. But I'm new to this game and really don't know where to start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How would top 20% at W&L/W&M/GMU do in Richmond/DC? Secondary Journal. Still trying to figure out what type of law I want to practice and open to most, but leaning towards Corporate/M&A?
I don't suspect there is much corporate/M&A work in Richmond
There's plenty of corporate/M&A work in Richmond, just not any big deals. Hunton and mcguirewoods have substantial corporate practices in Richmond. FWIW - Harris Williams, a Richmond based i-bank, does a lot of mid-caps work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”