Anonymous User wrote:
Of course, it's an approximation -- it might be off by 5 or so percentage points in either direction, but that's not really pushing OP that far above or below. It won't be off by 15%, unless professors widely failed to adhere to the curve. They aren't allowed to do that for 1L classes.
That determines the mean, not the median. You could have a bimodal distribution where the mean is 3.3 but there is no GPA reported between 3.2 and 3.4.
Think of it this way:
If all the A and A- went to everyone who only got A and A- (that means 30% of the class get nothing but A/A-, but no one else did). And the rest 70 % split between B and B+. That means for 70% of the people, their GPA would have a mode of 3.17, while the 30% of the people they would have a mode of 3.88. The median will be around 3.2.
Not that such a thing would happen, but just saying, grade distribution between people's 8 grades would determine the median, and it doesn't have to mimic the mean.