What should my approach be for the approaching 3L Year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What should my approach be for the approaching 3L Year?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:05 pm

I feel like I'm at a bit of an impasse here. I'm currently attending a school in the top 25 and I just finished my 2L year. I just got my 2L second semester grades back and I ended up getting quite a few mediocre grades and a few good ones. Even though I will still be above median at my school, this knocked me out of the top third (which I thought was my only real selling point in the grand scheme of things). It's even more frustrating since I only ended up getting into the 1/3rd at the close of the fall 2L semester (by the time the OCI rush was already done with). Now it just feels like I'm back to square one at this point.

I'm currently working with a federal prosecution office for the current summer (don't want to give too much away here, but it shouldn't be too hard to narrow down) and I worked with a non-profit organization last summer. I got -close- to getting an associate position for one of my local firms, but I ended up losing out. It stings even more that the partner was like "well with your grades, you should be able to go a lot of places!"

So basically I have to wonder how to approach 3L year in general now. Should I attempt to bust my ass off to get my grades back up, or has the boat long sailed on that one? Should I just start mass mailing and hope for the best? I would have an interest in working in Public Interest, but beggars cannot be choosers in this economy; I'll take anything at the moment just so I can have some food on my plate, metaphorically speaking. The only other real "strength" I feel I have at this point is that my LR note got selected for publication. Should I just try to pimp the hell out of that?

Re: What should my approach be for the approaching 3L Year?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Start mass-mailing, but don't slack 3L. At this point, you might be searching for a job post-grad, and if you can get back to a better ranking, it can't do anything but help.

Return to “Legal Employment”