Law school law firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Platinum

Law school law firm

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:30 pm

So ASU is creating a law firm to hire its recent graduates: http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/PubArt ... %20Lawyers

I personally think this is a great idea, and would love to see a top school get in on the action.

chrisbru

Gold

Re: Law school law firm

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:33 pm

My first thought was "this would never work."

But, you know, if done right this actually might be a decent idea. I wonder if it would affect how law firms in the area would go about hiring though? Why train new attorneys if this non-profit firm will do it for them and spit trained attorneys out after 2 years?

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Great idea or sign of how bad things really are?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:35 pm

heeloftar wrote:Great idea or sign of how bad things really are?
A return to how lawyers used to be trained back before JD programs became all about taking fluffy electives for three years?

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:36 pm

This is a great idea actually. I think law schools should have residency programs. This would also increase legal access for the poor. This is how the medical field works. You go to med school and then your residency is set up under a university hospital.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gsean2013

New

Post by gsean2013 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:22 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:This is a great idea actually. I think law schools should have residency programs. This would also increase legal access for the poor. This is how the medical field works. You go to med school and then your residency is set up under a university hospital.
Agree 100%, I've always wondered why law schools don't do this. Medical school does and it helps the quality of doctors we have in this country, why not do the same for law?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:18 pm

gsean2013 wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:This is a great idea actually. I think law schools should have residency programs. This would also increase legal access for the poor. This is how the medical field works. You go to med school and then your residency is set up under a university hospital.
Agree 100%, I've always wondered why law schools don't do this. Medical school does and it helps the quality of doctors we have in this country, why not do the same for law?
Because law schools have completely abdicated their role as gatekeepers of the profession. They a run for the benefit of the tenured profs, and there are a dozen reasons why the current pedagogical model benefits tenured law professors who barely practiced and if they did practice, worked jobs like federal clerkships, biglaw, and prestigious policy positions that most lawyers will never do.

gsean2013

New

Post by gsean2013 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:09 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
gsean2013 wrote:
Because law schools have completely abdicated their role as gatekeepers of the profession. They a run for the benefit of the tenured profs, and there are a dozen reasons why the current pedagogical model benefits tenured law professors who barely practiced and if they did practice, worked jobs like federal clerkships, biglaw, and prestigious policy positions that most lawyers will never do.
True those are some good reasons why they wouldn't do it, but if they did for any reason I still see it as a good idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”