is this lying/ or acceptable?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

is this lying/ or acceptable?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:17 pm

I am a 1L interning at a small general practice law firm that has an international/foreign practice among its several departments. Having spent 2 weeks here I have not done any work on international practice and do not expect anything much to do with it in the coming weeks, except maybe our partner will have meetings with foreign investors aiming to set up companies in NYC.
I am very interested in international trade and hope to develop my career in this area of the law.
Would it be deceitful for me to emphasize on my resume that it is a firm specializing, among other things, in international transactions, just as the the firm's website has done? I believe that should at an interview, I should be able to spin my experience.... because my boss has told me quite a bit about it. Nevertheless I probably won't have the good fortune to work on it, and this practice does not appear to be the main practice of our firm at the moment.

swc65

Re: is this lying/ or acceptable?

Postby swc65 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:38 pm

What do you mean "emphasize?" Just tell the truth. You got to know people who do what you want to do and you really want to do what they do. There's no need to stretch the truth or anything. Don't in any way attempt to make your itnerviewers believe you did anything other than what you actually did. Having talked to/gotten to know people who work in the area in which you want to work is a plus in its own right.

If you try to make them think you did substantive work, they will probably have follow-up questions which you probably won't be able to answer. You will get outted quickly. Whereas if you just say that you got to know people and their practices you will be easily able to answer their follow-up questions.

tl;dr, if you have to ask, don't do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:42 pm

i mean, suppose I say a few words describing my law firm on my resume (the type of law it practices) - shall I describe it like the way its website describes it, or do I just focus exclusively on what I have done this past summer? or should I do both?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i mean, suppose I say a few words describing my law firm on my resume (the type of law it practices) - shall I describe it like the way its website describes it, or do I just focus exclusively on what I have done this past summer? or should I do both?

I am confused. In what resume format do you describe the law firm? Is it not customary to describe what YOU did at the law firm?

So, yes, you describe your work at the firm on your resume, not the law firm itself (otherwise janitors would describe the interantal legal stuff).

You can explain what the law firm does in your interviews and your familiarity with its practice and why you want to build your practice around that area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:51 pm

oh, one of the standard resume provided by our school: the law firm's name, followed by a line of description of its practices.
what I have done and will do this past summer does not cover all its works.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Bluntly:

If you have to ask this question, you should NOT attempt it. You don't know where the line is, and it's a very dangerous line to cross. Don't ever give an interviewer a chance to call you on bullshit.

Also...get your own resume format. Seriously. That's a much better way to distinguish yourself than lying.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:oh, one of the standard resume provided by our school: the law firm's name, followed by a line of description of its practices.
what I have done and will do this past summer does not cover all its works.

If the firm is not well-known, I do not see the harm in having a line item similar to Firm Name (specializing in international mumbojumbo).

There's nothing wrong with highlighting something on your resume to ensure that it comes up in interviews or to demonstrate your interest in the area. DO NOT try to convince anyone you have done anything substantive though.

As a general point- your itnerest is very narrow. You might be limiting yourself come OCI/EIP/ODI or whatever your school calls it.

You other option is to reach out and try to get some substantive experience, anything at all that you can put as the first line item in your description of the work you did this summer.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bluntly:

If you have to ask this question, you should NOT attempt it. You don't know where the line is, and it's a very dangerous line to cross. Don't ever give an interviewer a chance to call you on bullshit.

Also...get your own resume format. Seriously. That's a much better way to distinguish yourself than lying.

cr. anytime you have to say "am I fudging too much?" you are.

experts in international trade unicorn leprechaun law or whatever it is will be familiar with the firm. if they aren't familiar with the firm, it likely wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 pm

I agree that it is bad to lie.

However, I don't believe that an 'unknown" firm is unnecessarily offering experience any less useful.

I don't believe this firm is well-known. Yet it had some important transactions:
http://www.yoonkimlaw.com/international.html

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Besides whether its ethical, its just a terrible idea.

"Oh, that firm does international XYZ, can you tell us what work you did in that field while you were there?"

You will look silly in an interview if this happens, and it probably will.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:08 am

That you are asking if it is lying suggests the answer is closer to lie than not. Also, I'll just say it - yes, what you suggest is lying. You had to ask this???? You'd be better off begging for one assignment - even fucking doc review - then you could say "gained experience in . . ." But holy lord, this question was actually asked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:15 am

I'll beg for assignment related to my desired practice then. whatever it/they may be. meeting up with foreign clients with my boss, or helping to review documents/draft contracts.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:20 am

Or you could just put this in your cover letter when describing your motivation to work at whatever firm next summer, just say something about the exposure and contacts you got this summer at this firm where they specialize in international trade and how it inspired you somehow.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 am

The sublime idiocy of TLS never ceases to astound.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 am

Teoeo wrote:Besides whether its ethical, its just a terrible idea.

"Oh, that firm does international XYZ, can you tell us what work you did in that field while you were there?"

You will look silly in an interview if this happens, and it probably will.

Answer: "Well I didn't do any work in that area per se; but my boss told me a lot about it."

-Interview ends-

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:52 am

No, I don't think that this is an acceptable form of advertising.

Return to “Legal Employment”