significant jump in 2L grades ---> Job prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

significant jump in 2L grades ---> Job prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:56 am

After 1L year I was slightly above median at a school ranked 25-40 (median is approx. 3.1). The first semester of my 2L I didn't take any graded law classes (for a variety of reasons that I will not explain). However, for spring semster I changed my study and exam techniques. I have two grades back so far (A- and A+). I don't think I did any worse on my other exams. At the very worst my class rank after this semester will jump to top 1/3, at the very best (in my opinion) it will jump to just shy of top 25%. Either way it is a pretty drastic change. I am also on a secondary journal and have/will have some good summer experiences (small law firm, State Supreme Court, and corporate legal intern). Even with my prior median grades I still had 9 interviews last fall at OCI.

My question is do I stand even a remote chance of landing a good firm job as a 3L at OCI or by mass mailing? Will firms look at my significant grade increase as a better indicator of my potential than my overall GPA? I am not even looking for a biglaw gig I would be perfectly happy with a midlaw job in a secondary or even smaller market. Any thoughts would be helpful.

wiseowl

Re: significant jump in 2L grades ---> Job prospects

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:30 pm

The curve rises for everyone 2L year. While you've done well, a lot of your friends may have as well, and may have done it for two semesters.

It can't hurt to target as many firms as possible, particularly the ones from OCI, but I wouldn't be expecting much.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:45 pm

what makes you think the curve gets easier in 2L? I know electives are easier and (random law class)2 is easier since you know the basics of level 1 of it now and the other classes build on eachother (crimlaw to crimpro,etc)

I don't think they ease up on the grading curve though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Op here. At my school the curve only moves up slightly after 2L year because in classes above 30 students the curve is the same as it is for all 1L classes. At the end of 1L year median is 3.11 at the end of 2L year it is 3.14. The difference is very small and not very significant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Also the classes that I have grades for so far are required courses. So they are not just some random easy course that people will take to raise their GPA.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Your grades will help, but 3L OCI is a bloodbath. People with solid grades going into 2L struggle at 3L oci so you're certainly better off but far from a shoein.

Return to “Legal Employment”