Finding and contacting firms and the "mass mailing" process

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BoomBoom1986

Finding and contacting firms and the "mass mailing" process

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:24 am

I'm a rising 2L at Penn, slightly above median and with work experience. I'm doing the whole OCI thing (obviously) and am using the traditional slots for NYC and Philadelphia firms. However, I am also interested in getting some interviews with San Francisco, Pittsburgh, and even London firms (or firms with London offices). There will be firms from those cities coming to Penn's OCI, but not as many as I'd like. Further, Penn has a regional OCI program for San Francisco which I will be attending. Unfortunately, only three firms do the regional SF program (the second week in August and before campus OCI starts), so I was hoping to setup some more interviews out there since I'm paying on my own dime to fly out there. Thus, I was wondering how I should go about contacting firms and getting interviews with them in those three cities mentioned? Especially San Francisco. And when should I start this process.

Any and all advice is MUCH appreciated.

BoomBoom1986

Re: Finding and contacting firms and the "mass mailing" process

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 am

Anyone?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:53 am

Mass mail?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 am

For SF, just email all the firms that you would work for with your resume, cover letter, and transcript. In your cover letter, include a sentence or two about why you want to be in SF. Then, let them know that you will be in town for x until y and would like to meet with them to speak about their summer associate positions for next summer. Many will not accept, but some might.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Law Sauce wrote:For SF, just email all the firms that you would work for with your resume, cover letter, and transcript. In your cover letter, include a sentence or two about why you want to be in SF. Then, let them know that you will be in town for x until y and would like to meet with them to speak about their summer associate positions for next summer. Many will not accept, but some might.

Thanks for the advice, I GREATLY appreciate it!

Three questions though:

1.) Is it best to just email your information right away or send a preliminary email first to test the waters? And who do I email if the firms don't make it explicit on their websites (run into this already)?

2.) When should these be sent? Me thinks right around or shortly after July 4th?

3.) Email is better than a nice and pretty snail mail package?

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Also, what are the best sites to research firms? I've used martindale, et cetera, but are there any other ones I should be tapping into?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:37 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:Also, what are the best sites to research firms? I've used martindale, et cetera, but are there any other ones I should be tapping into?

Amateur hour brah

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157633

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:For SF, just email all the firms that you would work for with your resume, cover letter, and transcript. In your cover letter, include a sentence or two about why you want to be in SF. Then, let them know that you will be in town for x until y and would like to meet with them to speak about their summer associate positions for next summer. Many will not accept, but some might.

Thanks for the advice, I GREATLY appreciate it!

Three questions though:

1.) Is it best to just email your information right away or send a preliminary email first to test the waters? And who do I email if the firms don't make it explicit on their websites (run into this already)?

2.) When should these be sent? Me thinks right around or shortly after July 4th?

3.) Email is better than a nice and pretty snail mail package?

I would
1.) Just send the email, short body saying that you would like to apply for the position etc. Email the recruiter, find it through NALP
2.) Mid July to early august is what I have heard, too early is not a problem, but they are still busy with their current summers now
3.) It probably does not matter

Return to “Legal Employment”