UG GPA on resume for 1L SA, douche or beneficial?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Flips88

Re: UG GPA on resume for 1L SA, douche or beneficial?

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I plan to keep my UGPA on my resume for OCI (1) because it looks good and (2) we aren't allowed to list our law school GPA on our initial resumes for OCI (something about wanting employers to have a untainted impression of you when you walk in the interview).

If they really believed in that lie they would use a lottery system.

We also have a lottery system lol

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:Is that good or bad? I rather like that transcript other than the C-

sorry my new years resolution was to stop explaining my own jokes

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:22 pm

fatduck wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Is that good or bad? I rather like that transcript other than the C-

Your new years resolution should be learn to tell jokes. Wait, you had a new years resolution? Nevermind, carry on.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Your new years resolution should be learn to tell jokes. Wait, you had a new years resolution? Nevermind, carry on.

guess i won't be repeating as FUNNIEST TLSER this year

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:29 pm

fatduck wrote:guess i won't be repeating as FUNNIEST TLSER this year

That's laughable all itself. You should be embarrassed when TLS finds you funny. It's like a bunch of first graders calling you smart.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:32 pm

So to tack on to this, how does a 0L approach the possibility (even if virtually zero) of getting a 1L SA assuming I don't have diversity or connections working for me? Send out a bunch of apps and hope?

Forgive me if this is way to early to even think about this, just curious and I'd like to know if it's something I need to jump on early on in 1L.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I plan to keep my UGPA on my resume for OCI (1) because it looks good and (2) we aren't allowed to list our law school GPA on our initial resumes for OCI (something about wanting employers to have a untainted impression of you when you walk in the interview).

Does Penn do pre-select? I thought UVA was the only T14 school that had a system like that.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 pm

bdubs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Does Penn do pre-select? I thought UVA was the only T14 school that had a system like that.

No we use lottery.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 am

PriOSky wrote:I know that the chance of getting an 1L SA position is close to 0%. For the purposes of applying to 1L SA positions, should an UG GPA far above the summa cum laude threshold but just a bit low to qualify for the salutatorian distinction go on the resume?

Just FYI, if you're coming from a top school, while a 1L SA is definitely tough to snag, it's far from impossible, especially if you have excellent grades and/or highly marketable skills (and FWIW, good work experience seemed to be a much stronger factor).

Return to “Legal Employment”