how to hustle for 3l oci when you're currently a sa

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how to hustle for 3l oci when you're currently a sa

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:49 pm

i don't need to go into the reasons in detail, but i'm pretty sure i do not want to stay at the firm i'm currently working at...though of course i am still going to bust my ass and try to convince myself otherwise for the rest of the summer.

i do want to simultaneously prepare for 3l oci, however, so basically my question is this: how does one network and hustle when currently a sa? obviously i don't want to shoot myself in the foot and still want an offer from my current firm in my back pocket...something tells me it's not the best idea to be contacting alums at other firms (or is it?). also, seeing as how 3l oci is pretty sad, is it worth mailing in resumes to firms (say v15-20) that aren't coming? how should i be timing this?

advice appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: how to hustle for 3l oci when you're currently a sa

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:31 pm

As much as you probably don't want to get into it, more info would be helpful here. Don't take any offense to anything that doesn't apply, but without at least knowing some of the reasons it's kind of hard to say what your options could be.

Why exactly do you not want to work at the firm where you're a SA? Unless it's truly a personal thing, like a personality conflict between you and those you work for, chances are the firm you're at is much like any other firm.
Are you currently at a V20 or are you trying to use your summer position as a stepping stone? What kind of market is your school in? Do you have a lot of local options? Do you wan to stay local?

If it's something about firm life you don't like maybe you don't really want to be at a V20. 3L OCI is a complete fallacy. It just doesn't really happen. Of course, maybe at your school it's different. How many 3Ls do you know that landed a firm job (let alone with a V20) from 3L OCI? Any firm is going to be reluctant to hire you if they've never had the chance to work with you. They're going to be even more suspicious if you worked at a firm and didn't accept the offer. They're going to want to know why. It's not like most people are carrying around dozens of offers and they have to pick one job from many. You applied for a coveted SA spot, landed one, and now you don't want it (speaking from the devil's advocate position). Why would another firm hire you now?

Have you totally waived off government work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:52 pm

OP here. if it helps, a bit more info--i'm in a major market, v20, going to a t6. why i don't want to stay is maybe 50% personality and 50% the fact that the practice areas i'm truly interested are either nonexistent or seem pretty dry. gov't work is def not for me.

i honestly know nothing about 3l oci, other than the fact that yes, it's usually a joke. landing a position for 3l oci isn't unheard of, though...just looking for advice on the best strategy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 pm

was in very similar position to you, and was successful at 3l oci. also went to a top6, and knew towards the end of my 2l summer i didn't want to stay. bravo for figuring this out what i assume is only your second or third week on the job.

there's no way to really "hustle" for this, as in there are no roundabout ways to get this. its very similar to 2l recruiting. i participated in 3L oci, and sent resumes to firms that didn't come to campus around july i think. got some interviews from both methods and had more than one offer in the end. just treat this the same as 2l oci and have a credible story for why you want to switch (i.e. personality was also a big reason for why i wanted to switch but didn't mention it in interviews, i focused on the practice groups reason).

most important thing for you to do now is make sure you get an offer from your current firm. this is crucial, and will be the first thing every firm will ask. i do know other people at my top6 who were unsuccessful at 3l oci though, even with offers in hand from their 2l firms. it does some pretty competitive, and even random and not a guarantee but can certainly be done. my interview skills are about average (am friendly and dont say anything stupid, but also don't establish any "unbelievable" connections with interviewers as i am naturally more quiet), my 1L grades put me prob about top 15%, with 2L grades dropped me to top30-35% and i have banking background

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:32 pm

OP again. thanks for the reply. i sort of figured that was the case (that is, 3l oci strategy being like 2l), but am i crazy for being nervous about mailing resumes or contacting alums at other firms before i've secured an offer? maybe i'm just paranoid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:37 pm

yea i was also pretty paranoid. i can't quite remember but i think i waited till i had an offer in hand before applying. i might have sent out some apps during my last week or so, but certainly i wasn't sending anything out early july or anything. i dont know if this was too late or not, as i did get plenty of rejections as well, but that could be for other reasons than timing.

Return to “Legal Employment”