What to do if I just can't find work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dingbat

Gold

Re: What to do if I just can't find work

Post by dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 pm

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:59 pm

dingbat wrote:Image

Lol nice. Hey, debtors prison=food and shelter. amirite?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:02 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Image
Lol nice. Hey, debtors prison=food and shelter. amirite?
Once upon a time i had acquaintances who, when they were in dire straights would get themselves busted on a disorderly charge, or some other nonsense charge, so they could get a free meal (or a cot for a few nights, in one case)

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote: Online classes DO pay living costs. I speak from experience.
I've known people who havn't but perhaps it varies by the school. Which did you attend? How much did they approve? I ask since it is the school who decides how much you "need" and many don't think you "need" it if it is only for an online college.
Local state school. Admitted it is also a brick and mortar, so maybe that is the difference, but their financial aid department just added up COA exactly the same whether I took classes in person or online. I even got me some grants back when I was in UG.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_162- ... s-prisons/

(MoneyWatch) How did breast cancer survivor Lisa Lindsay end up behind bars? She didn't pay a medical bill -- one the Herrin, Ill., teaching assistant was told she didn't owe. "She got a $280 medical bill in error and was told she didn't have to pay it," The Associated Press reports. "But the bill was turned over to a collection agency, and eventually state troopers showed up at her home and took her to jail in handcuffs."

Although the U.S. abolished debtors' prisons in the 1830s, more than a third of U.S. states allow the police to haul people in who don't pay all manner of debts, from bills for health care services to credit card and auto loans. In parts of Illinois, debt collectors commonly use publicly funded courts, sheriff's deputies, and country jails to pressure people who owe even small amounts to pay up, according to the AP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:21 pm

jurisx wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_162- ... s-prisons/

(MoneyWatch) How did breast cancer survivor Lisa Lindsay end up behind bars? She didn't pay a medical bill -- one the Herrin, Ill., teaching assistant was told she didn't owe. "She got a $280 medical bill in error and was told she didn't have to pay it," The Associated Press reports. "But the bill was turned over to a collection agency, and eventually state troopers showed up at her home and took her to jail in handcuffs."

Although the U.S. abolished debtors' prisons in the 1830s, more than a third of U.S. states allow the police to haul people in who don't pay all manner of debts, from bills for health care services to credit card and auto loans. In parts of Illinois, debt collectors commonly use publicly funded courts, sheriff's deputies, and country jails to pressure people who owe even small amounts to pay up, according to the AP.

I remember this story. And I also remember after digging further there is a lot more to it then a simple unpaid bill. the press has a habit of sensationalizing things while leaving very important details out. It's really really annoying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:35 pm

yeah but she isn't the only one, that's the problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”