How many markets is too many?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many markets is too many?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm

How many markets is too many for the 3L job search and mass mailing, assuming one intends to hustle like mad?

Here are my possibilities:
NC - home state and state where school is. Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston Salem, Greensboro, other cities if better small firms are specifically hiring 3Ls (looking through Symplicity, word of mouth)
DC - Ties there; worth it at all for 3L job search if one has average stats from what is not a top school?
Baltimore and surrounding - Ties to MD, not Baltimore specifically
NYC - Ties.
Mid-Atlantic corridor in general - DE - No ties but really like Wilmington and the Chancery; Philly - Ties, not compelling ones; Family from DC up to NY so happy living in any midsize city between them
NJ - No ties, don't mind living there but seems too difficult without ties to be worth it?
Atlanta - No family ties, but like it a lot, and a useful legal connection there (someone who doesn't necessarily have a lot of pull but many contacts and friendships in the legal community)
Any resume collects posted specifically for my school that don't take much extra work to apply for, even if not in these markets
Boston - Went to school there, would not be my favorite place to live at this point but will go for a job

Are there any drawbacks to applying to so many markets assuming I can articulate a compelling reason to want to be in each one for cover letters/interviews?

Is it ok to white lie and make each market sound like top choice when asked where I'm applying and only mention applying to a couple related markets depending on who asks?

Thanks!

Re: How many markets is too many?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many markets is too many for the 3L job search and mass mailing, assuming one intends to hustle like mad?

NC - home state and state where school is. Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston Salem, Greensboro, other cities if better small firms are specifically hiring 3Ls (looking through Symplicity, word of mouth)
DC - Ties there; worth it at all for 3L job search if one has average stats from what is not a top school?
NYC - Ties.
Mid-Atlantic corridor in general - DE - No ties but really like Wilmington and the Chancery; Philly - Ties, not compelling ones; Family from DC up to NY so happy living in any midsize city between them
NJ - No ties, don't mind living there but seems too difficult without ties to be worth it?
Atlanta - No family ties, but like it a lot, and a useful legal connection there (someone who doesn't necessarily have a lot of pull but many contacts and friendships in the legal community)
Any resume collects posted specifically for my school that don't take much extra work to apply for, even if not in these markets
Boston - Went to school there, would not be my favorite place to live at this point but will go for a job

Are there any drawbacks to applying to so many markets assuming I can articulate a compelling reason to want to be in each one for cover letters/interviews?

Is it ok to white lie and make each market sound like top choice when asked where I'm applying and only mention applying to a couple related markets depending on who asks?

Thanks!

I'd apply literally everywhere, after first focusing on places you have ties.

The "focus on 1, maybe 2 market" advice is for OCI where you get a limited number of bids.

LawIdiot86

Re: How many markets is too many?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many markets is too many for the 3L job search and mass mailing, assuming one intends to hustle like mad?

NYC - Ties.

Thanks!

Philly, DE, and NJ are looking for compelling ties. Being from a surrounding state or really liking the area is not compelling.

Boston also wants compelling ties, but going there for school might help. That you didn't go there for law school will probably hurt.

Atlanta gets some spillover from NC if it's Duke, but I don't think UNC/Wake play particularly well there. Worth a shot.

NC would be a good play given your strong ties.

I would say to focus on NC and NY, then DC and Atlanta, then Boston and Baltimore. Maybe do NC and NY for a July/early-August mailing, DC and Atlanta for a mid-August/early-September mailing, and then Boston and Baltimore for a late September mailing. Only mention a couple of related markets when asked where else you are looking.

If you have the willpower though, applying literally everywhere you would ever live is the best advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”