SA's: Are you working right now or chilling

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Are you working on a SA assignment right now, or chilling?

Working on a SA assignment
14%
Chilling
60%
A and B
26%

Total votes: 43

Anonymous User

SA's: Are you working right now or chilling

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Anonymous User

Re: SA's: Are you working right now or chilling

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:00 pm

I don't know if this is just my firm or not, but I've barely had anything substantial to do. The firm is generally busy and thriving, but it seems like the SAs don't get anything beyond 1-3 hour assignments staggered throughout the week. We've been there now for two weeks, and one SA hasn't even gotten a single assignment yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if this is just my firm or not, but I've barely had anything substantial to do. The firm is generally busy and thriving, but it seems like the SAs don't get anything beyond 1-3 hour assignments staggered throughout the week. We've been there now for two weeks, and one SA hasn't even gotten a single assignment yet.

Similar situation here. Can't fathom what anyone from my firm would be working on on a Saturday evening.

Edit: But the bolded is pretty weird. I'd be feeling a little strange about that if I were that SA.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if this is just my firm or not, but I've barely had anything substantial to do. The firm is generally busy and thriving, but it seems like the SAs don't get anything beyond 1-3 hour assignments staggered throughout the week. We've been there now for two weeks, and one SA hasn't even gotten a single assignment yet.

At my firm it's more of a complete mix. Some people have almost nothing/have had almost nothing for a long time. Some got major deals closing and worked late even in the first week. Others (like myself) have had a fair amount of work, but nothing that couldn't be handled between the hours of 9-6.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

At my firm it's more of a complete mix. Some people have almost nothing/have had almost nothing for a long time. Some got major deals closing and worked late even in the first week. Others (like myself) have had a fair amount of work, but nothing that couldn't be handled between the hours of 9-6.

I'm a 1L splitting my summer between a small lit firm and a V100. So far, working at the small lit firm has been amazing and I'm really enjoying the substantive work - first week I'm writing a motion for one of the partners. I'm worried, though, that the work for the v100 is going to suck/be somewhat less substantive. Assuming that it varies firm to firm, can you describe some of the work assignments you've been given?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a 1L splitting my summer between a small lit firm and a V100. So far, working at the small lit firm has been amazing and I'm really enjoying the substantive work - first week I'm writing a motion for one of the partners. I'm worried, though, that the work for the v100 is going to suck/be somewhat less substantive. Assuming that it varies firm to firm, can you describe some of the work assignments you've been given?

I'm doing lit, and I've been given mostly general research assignments. Some of the research assignments however have turned into full research memos which will be going to the lead partner on the case and I'm told that it is likely that portions of them will go directly into a brief for the upcoming hearing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:19 am

V100 lit. I have done 10+assignments in 3 weeks. Mostly research to support motions and briefs. Some client development where substantive work needed to be done but not billable to any client yet. No doc review because firm has a policy not to give doc review to SAs.

We don't really assign too many assignments, I went and met people and asked for more than half of them. It's work out great because I got to work for many attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Attend state T3/only school in market.

Work at respected general lit firm in fifth-class market in beautiful fulfilling location where I hope to raise family and eventually die.

Write dispositive briefs all day.

May never make $160K/year.

Don't give a single fuck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 pm

At a V25 and its been mostly all work so far with a few fun social events mixed in. Helped assemble a real estate closing binder, researched a point for an amicus brief in an area of law that I find very interesting, participated slightly in a conference call with a client, revised a contract based on client comments and input, etc. Worked 2 late nights since an associate needed help meeting a deadline, and another assignment had a surprise conference call that necessitated quite a bit of late-night preparation (which I had to help with since I was asked to help with the call). I was surprised at the amount of work, given that people made summers sound like a 10 week chillax-fest. This clearly isn't 2005 anymore, but I'm certainly not arguing with actual experience and responsibility.

Return to “Legal Employment”