post-clerkship employment question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

post-clerkship employment question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 pm

Could really use some advice from the clerkship geniuses!

Relevant info:
graduated top 10% from a school towards bottom of top 100
clerking for district judge beginning in Sept in a competitive market, but nowhere near where I went to law school (for 1 yr)
no firm experience in law school (just DA jobs, but I lost interest in the work)
no LR

Do I have any shot at big law in the city I'm clerking in? Any shot at it in another market across the country if my fiance and I decide to move after the clerkship (where she might be working)?

If I do have a shot, when is the best time to start applying? If I don't, what kind of firm gigs can I expect to be competitive at?

Anonymous User

Re: post-clerkship employment question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:14 am

This depends on just how competitive the district within which you're clerking really is. If we're talking SDNY/DDC/EDNY or something along those lines, then firms will be reaching out to you. And even if it's a smaller city, my guess is major firms in that city will want to recruit you regardless.

Out curiosity, how did you land a district court clerkship coming from a lower-tier school w/ no LR? Your grades are obviously strong, but my impression is that candidates from such schools typically need to be from the very top of their class to have a shot at competitive clerkships. Family or professor connection?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:This depends on just how competitive the district within which you're clerking really is. If we're talking SDNY/DDC/EDNY or something along those lines, then firms will be reaching out to you. And even if it's a smaller city, my guess is major firms in that city will want to recruit you regardless.

Out curiosity, how did you land a district court clerkship coming from a lower-tier school w/ no LR? Your grades are obviously strong, but my impression is that candidates from such schools typically need to be from the very top of their class to have a shot at competitive clerkships. Family or professor connection?

OP here. Thanks for the reply. The judge is an alum of my law school, so I'm sure that's why I got an interview. But I got lucky to have my app flagged by a clerk, because I just applied on OSCAR (no prof/family hookup). I got the job after a strong interview.

For what it's worth, I prepared like crazy for two magistrate interviews that I'd had the week prior; I gave pretty solid, substantively sound answers, but I didn't "click" with either judge and probably bored them both to death (two dings -- again, lucky for me!). Decided to just wing the district judge interview, and, although I'm sure I was the least-qualified candidate on paper, we really connected. So based upon my limited experience, I don't think it can be over-emphasized that judges, after an interview cycle, are likely to pick the candidate who they 1) think can be trusted and 2) can see themselves having an enjoyable rapport with, in what is an extremely close-knit work environment.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:35 am

Oh btw, it's not in any of those districts, but based on what I've read, it's probably about as competitive as S.D. Cal or D. Mass.

Return to “Legal Employment”