Who Else is Still Looking For a Summer Job At This Point?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Who Else is Still Looking For a Summer Job At This Point?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Curious about how many people are still in my position.

Anonymous User

Re: Who Else is Still Looking For a Summer Job At This Point?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 pm

I was until about two hours ago. I took forever to start really working on stuff, but once I did, it only took me like four days to land something. You might be surprised about the job hunt for the summer at this time of year. Lots of places are really desperate for students to work because the vast majority of students have summer jobs lined up by now, so it can actually become difficult for some employers to find summer student workers on short notice. That's a big reason behind how I got my summer job.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:02 pm

I was on the phone with a recruiter at a top governmental organization last week looking for a fall internship and they mentioned they were still having trouble finding people for this summer. Apparently people only look at the Arizona Guide and Simplicity positions and never hound the individual HR people. Also, at my paid spring internship they mentioned they had only gotten 10 applications for the paid summer position, of which only 1 had agreed to an interview and would get it baring drooling. Again, unpublished and only if you knew to call every HR contact at the agency because it's distributed hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm median at a good school. I applied for paying-only jobs all semester and got nothing. 2 interview, that's it. I had been talking to some person at career services all year and they were no help at all. After classes ended I was told that "You may have to volunteer at the law library and work at Starbucks or nights stocking shelves. You won't find a paying job at this point."

Then I had an idea. I called career services but set up an appointment with a new person that I had never met before, and I told them I had an offer to work at a firm but it fell through at the last minute because the firm lost a major client and that the work I would have been doing no longer existed. I told them the job had paid 1650/wk and was competitive b/c they were only hiring 1 1L S.A. I figured that if the career services person thought I had already landed a job, perhaps they would be more generous doling out leads for paying work. I was right.

He sent me about 20 jobs to apply for, some were on the career services website, some were not. Within 3 weeks I had interviewed in three different states and had 4 offers, one being 34.50/hr.

This is what worked for me.

I assume it's like the episode of Seinfeld where George's fiance dies. Once women knew George had what it took to pop the question and make the commitment, they were all over him.

Good luck.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm median at a good school. I applied for paying-only jobs all semester and got nothing. 2 interview, that's it. I had been talking to some person at career services all year and they were no help at all. After classes ended I was told that "You may have to volunteer at the law library and work at Starbucks or nights stocking shelves. You won't find a paying job at this point."

Then I had an idea. I called career services but set up an appointment with a new person that I had never met before, and I told them I had an offer to work at a firm but it fell through at the last minute because the firm lost a major client and that the work I would have been doing no longer existed. I told them the job had paid 1650/wk and was competitive b/c they were only hiring 1 1L S.A. I figured that if the career services person thought I had already landed a job, perhaps they would be more generous doling out leads for paying work. I was right.

He sent me about 20 jobs to apply for, some were on the career services website, some were not. Within 3 weeks I had interviewed in three different states and had 4 offers, one being 34.50/hr.

I assume it's like the episode of Seinfeld where George's fiance dies. Once women knew George had what it took to pop the question and make the commitment, they were all over him.

Good luck.

Pm me the school or post? Don't want you to have to out youself, but I'm curious what sort of career services acts like that

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:12 pm

chem wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm median at a good school. I applied for paying-only jobs all semester and got nothing. 2 interview, that's it. I had been talking to some person at career services all year and they were no help at all. After classes ended I was told that "You may have to volunteer at the law library and work at Starbucks or nights stocking shelves. You won't find a paying job at this point."

Good luck.

Pm me the school or post? Don't want you to have to out youself, but I'm curious what sort of career services acts like that

Yes, what range of school is this? I have never heard of something like this from any CS office.

Postby 02122015 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chem wrote:

Good luck.

Yes, what range of school is this? I have never heard of something like this from any CS office.

This could easily have simply been the product of:
- Speaking to a new person in the first place, a person who might be more enthusiastic or proactive in helping people find jobs than the others were, and/or
- It being a different time of year when the job hunting climate is a bit different.

While your fake "I had an SA offer withdrawn" story might have played a part, it have also played no role at all.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:44 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I was on the phone with a recruiter at a top governmental organization last week looking for a fall internship and they mentioned they were still having trouble finding people for this summer. Apparently people only look at the Arizona Guide and Simplicity positions and never hound the individual HR people. Also, at my paid spring internship they mentioned they had only gotten 10 applications for the paid summer position, of which only 1 had agreed to an interview and would get it baring drooling. Again, unpublished and only if you knew to call every HR contact at the agency because it's distributed hiring.

Inasmuch as it would take them about 15 minutes to email the career services offices at the 15 most relevant schools to them, I have little sympathy for them.
Still, this is really good advice, since they apparently are stupid enough to not publicize their jobs.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Good luck.

so you're recommending flat out lying...

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:34 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:

Good luck.

so you're recommending flat out lying...

Yeah... not good, and likely not the cause for the subsequent success either.

Return to “Legal Employment”