3L Mailing Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Mailing Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Is it appropriate as a rising 3L to re-apply to places you were rejected from as a 2L, if you experienced a pretty sizable increase in class rank and have other resume items that would be desirable?

If so, when is the appropriate time to mass mail? The same time I did as a 2L?

Finally, in places where I got a screener but nothing further, should I email the partner who called me for an interview, or the same person I initially applied to?

Edit - sorry, didn't mean to post anon. Mods, if it is bothersome, feel free to switch it.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Mailing Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:41 am

Also a 3L: I was planning on re-applying to the firms I had screeners with, but I probably won't re-apply to the firms I had callbacks with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:36 pm

Bump. Someone must be familiar with this, even in passing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:33 pm

yes. first, common sense would say it doesn't hurt to apply.

for more concrete evidence, i got a 3L offer from a firm that rejected me after a 2L callback. i wouldn't be surprised if they still kept a record of my 2l interview and checked my file to see why i wasn't made an offer then (my interview during 2l recruiting wasn't particularly bad, and my grades were pretty good, so im assuming i was probably just a candidate on the margin - after all, much of oci is just a numbers game, so i don't think there was any concrete reason to reject me, just that there were more better applicants at the time)

i emailed the person the website told me to email, or whatever hr contact my school had on file. i send apps in around the end of my 2L summer, maybe a couple weeks before 3l oci was starting up. have no idea if this was late or not, but didn't want to send out apps before i had an offer in hand

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Did you mention that you interviewed with the firm last year in the cover letter/email or no? One of the firms I really like is coming to OCI again this year and I struck out after the callback last year but would really like another shot as a 3L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:04 pm

no i did not mention it. did not really want to draw attention to the fact i was rejected. didn't mention it in any of my interviews either so as not to bias them in any manner. i just treated it like every other firm i applied to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Firms most definitely know if you were not invited for a callback after a screening interview or if you were not offered after a callback, especially if it just happened for this past recruiting cycle.
If you got past the screen into the callback chances are it wasn't your grades. Could've been your interview or it could've just come down to a numbers choice. In that case the change in your grades probably won't help you all that much since you likely had the grades to get the screen to begin with and the callback. They will probably just look at the reviews from your interview and either determine you weren't fit then due to a personality clash or that you were a good candidate and they just didn't have the room--in which case that could work favorably for you, and your class rank increase could also help. It may also help if you had other employment to speak of from this summer.

You likely aren't going to get anything for this current summer--unless--on the very unlikely chance you happen to apply to a firm that may have an opening in the summer class at the end of the summer due to splitters. If you apply now you're probably just going to get rejected because they aren't looking to hire. Start mass mailing as soon as OCI season opens up in late August. Attend OCI. Really do your research. Find out what kind of work the firm is knows for, and if it's something you are interested in make a point to mention it. Don't just go into the mass-mailings blind and desperate. Make a strong cover letter specific to each firm that shows you sought that firm for a specific reason and it's not just because you struck out last year.

Since your first shot at OCI you've likely had some classes in law school that have steered you in a certain direction. If you didn't have any clue what kind of law you were interested in the first time start really thinking about which direction you're headed in and make it a point to tell them that you've learned something in one of your classes that has made you more aware of the kind of lawyer you want to be. Sound focused.

Return to “Legal Employment”