Corporate Practice Areas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Law Sauce

Corporate Practice Areas

Postby Law Sauce » Thu May 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Can anyone give a basic explanation of the basic corporate/transactional practice areas (what the work is about) as well as what work juniors do in them is like? How does the work differ from other corporate practice areas? What does a typical day/schedule look like in these areas? What types of personalities best fit the various practice areas?

Some of the ones I would like some information are:
Private Equity
Capital Markets
M&A
Real Estate
Banking Regulation
Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Tax
Employment Compensation
Commercial Contracts
Any other major practice areas that I failed to mention.

Thanks in advance.

Ozymandias

Re: Corporate Practice Areas

Postby Ozymandias » Thu May 31, 2012 11:22 pm

This is a nice overview of some of them: http://www.chambers-associate.com/Artic ... aSummaries

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu May 31, 2012 11:55 pm

talk on the phone, get signatures, read stuff until your eyes bleed, work all weekend, get yelled at, etc.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 am

relevant to my interests..

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 am

Law Sauce wrote:Can anyone give a basic explanation of the basic corporate/transactional practice areas (what the work is about) as well as what work juniors do in them is like? How does the work differ from other corporate practice areas? What does a typical day/schedule look like in these areas? What types of personalities best fit the various practice areas?

Private Equity
Capital Markets
M&A
Real Estate
Banking Regulation
Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Tax
Employment Compensation
Commercial Contracts

Thanks in advance.

Basically corporate is way more bro heavy. The work seems to be more about being personable, and doesn't require you to be whip-smart like high end lit might.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Emma. wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Can anyone give a basic explanation of the basic corporate/transactional practice areas (what the work is about) as well as what work juniors do in them is like? How does the work differ from other corporate practice areas? What does a typical day/schedule look like in these areas? What types of personalities best fit the various practice areas?

Private Equity
Capital Markets
M&A
Real Estate
Banking Regulation
Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Tax
Employment Compensation
Commercial Contracts

Thanks in advance.

Basically corporate is way more bro heavy. The work seems to be more about being personable, and doesn't require you to be whip-smart like high end lit might.

Are you saying that the type of person and the work is basically pretty similar across all of these practice areas?

Return to “Legal Employment”