Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm

7 EJW interviews.

From mass-mailing (mailed maybe ~70-75 places?): 3 screening interviews + 2 direct CBs (NYC and Chi biglaw). I guess not all hope is lost.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:7 EJW interviews.

From mass-mailing (mailed maybe ~70-75 places?): 3 screening interviews + 2 direct CBs (NYC and Chi biglaw). I guess not all hope is lost.

Stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 pm

JenDarby wrote:

Stats?

the top 1/3rd lower-T14 above
(and make that 3 CBs).

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Are there any websites for internship job postings (other than Symplicity)? I know there is one for PI, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Stats?

(and make that 3 CBs).

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Stats?

(and make that 3 CBs).

Congrats!

Hopefully I can convert something now. Apparently the 6 CBs from OCI were not enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Jessuf wrote:Are there any websites for internship job postings (other than Symplicity)? I know there is one for PI, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

PSLawNet.org http://www.pslawnet.org/

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Are there any websites for internship job postings (other than Symplicity)? I know there is one for PI, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

PSLawNet.org http://www.pslawnet.org/

oh yes, thanks!!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:38 am

firms, y u ignore me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 am

I know this isn't a particularly novel idea, but just this week I've had some luck reaching out to alumni located in my target primary market. My law school is located in a secondary market. I had interviews set up in the primary market (one through a contact, one through resumelaunchpad) and sent out networking emails to maybe a dozen alumni I found through Martindale to ask to meet while I was in town. Two responded. While I didn't write to apply for jobs, one actually seems likely to turn into an offer, and the other one possible to turn into an offer.

I think that type of networking works especially well when targeting a market outside your school's home.

Top 1/3, LR, mid/lower-T1.

Good luck to those still looking! Just b/c many classes are filled doesn't mean there aren't still jobs out there.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Secured part-time DA internship, and will spend the other half of the week working at the place I worked last summer.

DA internship came from emailing and talking to people I know.

Still 0 for god knows how many with law firms, so I think I'm just going to lock this down and bow out of the race.

idk

Postby idk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 am

Thank you for the useful info!

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:55 pm

What's the timeline from here on out for where to apply? Is it still too early for small firms? Should I be entirely focused on Gov't/PI type stuff? What about midlaw?

Fam convinced me not to drop out so I've got a lot of hustling to do, not sure where to start

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Stats?

(and make that 3 CBs).

Andddd 3 big law offers!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:46 pm

tedalbany wrote:What's the timeline from here on out for where to apply? Is it still too early for small firms? Should I be entirely focused on Gov't/PI type stuff? What about midlaw?

Fam convinced me not to drop out so I've got a lot of hustling to do, not sure where to start

I already applied to mid-law and small firms back in September. It seems a lot of them recruit super early (like Sept/Oct), at least in my region (DC/MD/VA). A vast majority told me they don't do summer programs/weren't hiring students for anything. Several even told me they were done with recruiting already when I mass mailed in mid-Sept. I think ones that have a formal summer program recruit in the early fall. The ones who just take on law clerks will post whenever they need someone but don't seem to be just summer-only.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from some mid- and small-sized firms post-interview. I also am concentrating on gov't. Gov't apps for more prestigious programs were already due, but there are some that are due in November and much less prestigious agencies (if that's even the right term) accept summer apps up until March or something. I currently have an outstanding gov't offer and was all set to accept it even though it wasnt anywhere near my #1 choice when I got some more calls from agencies I like more. I'm currently sort of undecided and still scheduling interviews.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Jessuf wrote:
tedalbany wrote:What's the timeline from here on out for where to apply? Is it still too early for small firms? Should I be entirely focused on Gov't/PI type stuff? What about midlaw?

I already applied to mid-law and small firms back in September. It seems a lot of them recruit super early (like Sept/Oct), at least in my region (DC/MD/VA). A vast majority told me they don't do summer programs/weren't hiring students for anything. Several even told me they were done with recruiting already when I mass mailed in mid-Sept. I think ones that have a formal summer program recruit in the early fall. The ones who just take on law clerks will post whenever they need someone but don't seem to be just summer-only.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from some mid- and small-sized firms post-interview. I also am concentrating on gov't. Gov't apps for more prestigious programs were already due, but there are some that are due in November and much less prestigious agencies (if that's even the right term) accept summer apps up until March or something. I currently have an outstanding gov't offer and was all set to accept it even though it wasnt anywhere near my #1 choice when I got some more calls from agencies I like more. I'm currently sort of undecided and still scheduling interviews.

Damn.. Thanks though! Good luck with your pending stuff.

Might be very risky but I'm leaning towards taking a decent sized course load this summer, maybe a part time internship, trying to graduate early and going the solo route after grad. At least I'll save a little in interest and tuition by graduating early (summer classes are cheaper I believe).

Might be a crazy/stupid idea, but one thing I started playing with today is trying to recruit a bunch of other new grads in various cities for this project. The idea is to start up a real firm after graduation, not a solo shop, with a 'partner' in each city. Each partner is pretty much a solo, working under the firm name with a virtual office in their city. I don't have too good of a grasp of the exact structure yet because I don't know anything about partnership law ... but that seems like a quicker way to build up a national reputation that would help out each city 'partner'. Kind of like franchising, but for law. Then once it takes off and makes money there can be investments towards real offices and support staff and crap. Crazy? Or possible?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Sooooo, who still doesn't have a job? I stopped applying as much recently because I was really down about it. I started kicking up the pace though and I just got an interview with my #1 non-profit in DC next week! It definitely is motivating me to keep applying places, even if I don't hear back from most of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Any advice on approaching boutiques that do not have hiring/contact info on NALP or on their website. Do I e-mail alumni, partner or what? Do I say I want to be a summer clerk?

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on approaching boutiques that do not have hiring/contact info on NALP or on their website. Do I e-mail alumni, partner or what? Do I say I want to be a summer clerk?

I emailed alumni directly with cl, resume, transcript. No job offers from it, but informational coffee/beers.

Postby 071816 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Just got rejected from my last pending callback. I haven't been applying anywhere recently. I feel completely fucked.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 pm

chimp wrote:Just got rejected from my last pending callback. I haven't been applying anywhere recently. I feel completely fucked.

i'm waiting on my final CB...if i don't get this i'm in the exact same boat.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Lasers wrote:
chimp wrote:Just got rejected from my last pending callback. I haven't been applying anywhere recently. I feel completely fucked.

I've been here for weeks and it sucks. I've had like 7 more non firm interviews and got rejected from all of them. AWESOME.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:

I've been here for weeks and it sucks. I've had like 7 more non firm interviews and got rejected from all of them. AWESOME.

geezus.

damn, our lives are depressing.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Lasers wrote:geezus.

Yeah. The hardest part is getting over feeling sorry for yourself. I'm done with that now and I've sent out around 20 apps in the last two days. I really hope something pans out soon. A lot of these places aren't interviewing until like January though. Ugh.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:38 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:geezus.

Yeah. The hardest part is getting over feeling sorry for yourself. I'm done with that now and I've sent out around 20 apps in the last two days. I really hope something pans out soon. A lot of these places aren't interviewing until like January though. Ugh.

sadly, i am expecting a ding for no good reason beyond the fact that it's all i've gotten so far.

Return to “Legal Employment”