Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys, focus on the bigger firms now... the very small firms do not know until later their needs. Good luck to all of you... I am on the same position. The thing that also sucks about this process is that it is so draining that I think it will ruin my GPA and clerkship chances.

What do you mean by "bigger" and "very small"?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Guys, focus on the bigger firms now... the very small firms do not know until later their needs. Good luck to all of you... I am on the same position. The thing that also sucks about this process is that it is so draining that I think it will ruin my GPA and clerkship chances.

All big firms I applied to already dinged me or told me their classes are full. I don't think there are any "big" firms left in the Bay Area I haven't applied to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:51 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

All big firms I applied to already dinged me or told me their classes are full. I don't think there are any "big" firms left in the Bay Area I haven't applied to.

I am in the same position as all of you... so cannot speak with authority... but firms so small that have no summer program probably do not know their needs until later in the process. Now is the time to hit the big firm that gets under-subscribed because they were too elective, over-reached in giving offers or something along those lines. Problem is that no one knows which firm is that, the firm itself does not know it probably until October when all of the sudden they do not get the acceptances they hoped.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Big law seems to be a lot more silent than mid law for me. I've already been dinged by 99% of the big law firms in my area, I mass mailed every V100 NYC firm that didn't reject me already through OCI but silence so far, and I also mass mailed big law offices in some other cities. I think I just don't have the stats for big law because I'm a TTT transfer. I will keep going, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
tedalbany wrote:Anyone here apply to the equal justice works fair? Any interview requests yet?

I applied there, no interview requests yet.

I'm the above poster. As an update, was rejected by Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:39 pm

FINALLY got an interview at the PI fair. So excite. 11 rejections though. W/E, all I need is one.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Got a writing sample request :D excited to just get something, finally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 am

ilovesf wrote:Got a writing sample request :D excited to just get something, finally.

For the PI fair or?

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Got a writing sample request :D excited to just get something, finally.

For the PI fair or?

Oops. Didn't mean to use Anon.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:44 am

equalityLaw10 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For the PI fair or?

Oops. Didn't mean to use Anon.

Nope, bay area big law.

Light

Postby Light » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:46 am

Congrats you guys! I haven't heard anything from the PI fair except for a decline from AU.

Also managed to get an offer at a small firm.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 am

Up to 2 interviews for the PI fair!

And 20 something rejections

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:06 am

Light wrote:Congrats you guys! I haven't heard anything from the PI fair except for a decline from AU.

Are many people doing this (EJW fair)? I don't want to do PI, but so far 4 interview requests and 9 rejections (1 that I'd actually wanted :/).

Mass-mailing: mailed about 40 NYC so far, only 1 screener/CB hybrid out of it. Moving to Chicago and DC firms now, but might be too late. Also, going to start following up on NYC firms now.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Light wrote:Congrats you guys! I haven't heard anything from the PI fair except for a decline from AU.

Are many people doing this (EJW fair)? I don't want to do PI, but so far 4 interview requests and 9 rejections (1 that I'd actually wanted :/).

Mass-mailing: mailed about 40 NYC so far, only 1 screener/CB hybrid out of it. Moving to Chicago and DC firms now, but might be too late. Also, going to start following up on NYC firms now.

Damn nice ratio ... stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:22 am

tedalbany wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Damn nice ratio ... stats?

My stats are ok (top 1/3rd at MVP) but maybe my interviewing sucks :/ (LOLCI results blew.)

Light

Postby Light » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:51 am

Thanks, Ted!

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure how many people are doing it. I'm at Chicago and I'm the only one I know who is (assuming I get some interviews). Congrats on your NYC interview! I'm about to start mass-mailing them tomorrow though it's probably getting late.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am

What are the odds of getting a post-grad job from a PI summer job? (I know it varies wildly by org/state(for DA) ... Idk if anyone has anecdotes about specific orgs though).

I already have my leave of absence form filled out and ready to go, but now I'm up to 7 interviews so far (for the PI fair) which is making me reconsider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

EJW fair: 15 requested interviews: 12 rejections, 3 interview selection.

Does anyone know whether they actually hire from these career fairs? The interviews are rather short and it is going to cost me a LOT of money (to me) to fly to DC for the weekend.

I'm going beacuse a couple of these jobs are "dream jobs" for me, but I'm just worried that I'm going to blow a lot of cash just to go through a bunch of screeners and they won't hire anyone anyway.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:22 pm

tedalbany wrote:What are the odds of getting a post-grad job from a PI summer job? (I know it varies wildly by org/state(for DA) ... Idk if anyone has anecdotes about specific orgs though).

I already have my leave of absence form filled out and ready to go, but now I'm up to 7 interviews so far (for the PI fair) which is making me reconsider.

For public defender agencies, if you do a good job interning you won't get a firm offer (like a SA would) but you'll definitely be at the top of the resume pile. The Colorado PD, for the most part, hires former interns.

For DAs I think it is a little different since many require bar passage before you can even apply.

As far as nonprofits/legal aid organizations go, I would imagine that it could go either way since funding may be inconsistent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Yay, first interview invite!

Only took me 450 fucking mass mails. Shit is brutal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yay, first interview invite!

Was this biglaw?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Was this biglaw?

solid use of anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 pm

anyone know anything about red frog events in chicago? Have an interview for their summer internship program. The place seems pretty awesome to work from the website, but a lot of the glassdoor intern reviews are pretty terrible. Though a lot of the issues seem like they don't apply to legal interns...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:54 am

received an offer from a firm in my midwestern secondary that i got from massmailing. this happened about 1.5 weeks ago. its possible! good luck to all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Was this biglaw?

NLJ 250, secondary market. Not sure about salary, they don't report to NALP.

Return to “Legal Employment”