Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby ilovesf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:17 am

Getting some more No's from NYC, I guess now that they've filled up their classes through OCI. :(

cojsterling

Postby cojsterling » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:25 am

Recently got screeners through massmail in D.C. and a smaller firm in Baltimore. I should add that I sent these out in late July/Early August. Also getting a steady stream of dings throughout the East Coast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell has typically done a post-job fair dinner thing with a few select interviewees. I think they just like to really get to know the candidates. Also, any "screeners" I've gotten via mass mail have included at least two people. CB afterwards was normal.

Do you mean those callbacks were generally normal as in you met with 4 attys for ~2 hours? Or do you mean that it was normal for you to get callbacks after those screener-ish interviews?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm

What is with phone call rejections? Those seem especially cruel. I missed a call from a mass mail screener firm while I was in class. I listened to the voicemail during the break, and the recruiter was all, "So-and-so enjoyed meeting you yada yada. I was calling to follow up about the interview on Tuesday. Please call me back at xjsfiu. Thank you, and I look forward to speaking with you." I'm excited, thinking she wants to schedule a CB. I rushed home where I can have quiet and access to my calendar. I quickly check my e-mail before calling the recruiter back, and in my inbox is a rejection e-mail from her, sent an hour after her voicemail. WTF! Couldn't she have just sent the e-mail in the first place?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Just got an offer that I'm 99% sure I will be accepting from a firm I got through mass mailing. Success can happen.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Jessuf wrote:What is with phone call rejections? Those seem especially cruel. I missed a call from a mass mail screener firm while I was in class. I listened to the voicemail during the break, and the recruiter was all, "So-and-so enjoyed meeting you yada yada. I was calling to follow up about the interview on Tuesday. Please call me back at xjsfiu. Thank you, and I look forward to speaking with you." I'm excited, thinking she wants to schedule a CB. I rushed home where I can have quiet and access to my calendar. I quickly check my e-mail before calling the recruiter back, and in my inbox is a rejection e-mail from her, sent an hour after her voicemail. WTF! Couldn't she have just sent the e-mail in the first place?!

That's mean :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Anyone who had a Bracewell screener (not through OCI) ... how long did it take to hear back?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:22 pm

moar rejections. this has not worked out well for me. i'll continue now with smaller and smaller firms.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Can anyone who is getting positive responses from NYC firms PM me the firm names? Would really appreciate any leads!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:moar rejections. this has not worked out well for me. i'll continue now with smaller and smaller firms.

i'm sorry :oops: i'm rooting for you...don't let the TLS bullshit get you down. you're awesome and things are going to work out just fine

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:12 pm

bump

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:14 pm

Anyone here apply to the equal justice works fair? Any interview requests yet?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Sent out ~525 mass mails in the past 24 hours. So far, tons of rejections, "our SA class is already full," or "we don't even have a summer program." Hit up NYC, DC, Baltimore, Arlington/Alexandria, and any other parts of VA/MD.

TOMORROW, I will hit up Boston and Chicago, I guess.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Jessuf wrote:Sent out ~525 mass mails in the past 24 hours. So far, tons of rejections, "our SA class is already full," or "we don't even have a summer program." Hit up NYC, DC, Baltimore, Arlington/Alexandria, and any other parts of VA/MD.

Holy shit. Good job. This is motivating me to send out more now. Thanks.

Postby 071816 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 am

Jessuf wrote:Sent out ~525 mass mails in the past 24 hours. So far, tons of rejections, "our SA class is already full," or "we don't even have a summer program." Hit up NYC, DC, Baltimore, Arlington/Alexandria, and any other parts of VA/MD.

How much blow did you do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:19 am

tedalbany wrote:Anyone here apply to the equal justice works fair? Any interview requests yet?

I applied there, no interview requests yet.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:56 am

are you hitting up markets you've never been to?
Last edited by dreakol on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 am

dreakol wrote:

are you hitting up marets you've never been to?

Same boat. I think every law firm over 50 people that was non-IP east of the Mississippi River received an email from me.

If this doesn't work. I give up on life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:50 am

Mass mailed every firm > 5 attys in my home state that I could find. 1 interview, decent amount of "check back later", many rejections. Interview was a really long 1 on 1 with partner in the firm's office... Rejected. Have another interview today I got through a job posting. Legal work but for a business, not a firm...

My school is nowhere as great as most of yours, so I am quickly realizing how fucked I am going to be... I recommend every prospective law student read this thread!!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:33 am

dreakol wrote:

are you hitting up markets you've never been to?

No. At least - NOT YET.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm hitting up DMV, NYC, Boston, Chicago, CA. However, I have zero ties to Chicago - have only gone on a few trips, no family, only distant friends. But I will stretch the truth and make it sound like I am Chicago's biggest fan at this point.

And yes, so much blow. I am home sick and figure mass mailing 24/7 while watching shitty tv isn't so bad.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Just sent out 10 apps, within 10 minutes already 3 responses saying they don't have a program. Ugh.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 pm

ilovesf wrote:Just sent out 10 apps, within 10 minutes already 3 responses saying they don't have a program. Ugh.

:cry:

Napped this afternoon after doing moar mass mailing. I had a dream that my cell phone was ringing like crazy and my phone was vibrating every two seconds. In my dream, I got up from my nap, annoyed by the cell phone noises, and checked my phone. I was all warm and fuzzy inside when I saw I had 6 voicemails with offers and tons of e-mails with mass mail firms offering interviews.

Woke up from my nap and felt a bit sad it was just a dream. Glanced at my phone and saw 3 voicemails from NYC area codes. SQUEEEEEE! Wait, no, they were telemarketers. Saw 15 e-mails from recruiters. YAY! Oh nope. All rejections about full summer classes or non-existent summer classes. As I was pouting, my phone rang with an NYC area code. All excited, I ran into my bathroom and shut the door to keep the dogs out. I enthusiastically answered only get to get another telemarketer trying to tell me I won a free vacation. :evil:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Jessuf wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Just sent out 10 apps, within 10 minutes already 3 responses saying they don't have a program. Ugh.

:cry:

Napped this afternoon after doing moar mass mailing. I had a dream that my cell phone was ringing like crazy and my phone was vibrating every two seconds. In my dream, I got up from my nap, annoyed by the cell phone noises, and checked my phone. I was all warm and fuzzy inside when I saw I had 6 voicemails with offers and tons of e-mails with mass mail firms offering interviews.

Woke up from my nap and felt a bit sad it was just a dream. Glanced at my phone and saw 3 voicemails from NYC area codes. SQUEEEEEE! Wait, no, they were telemarketers. Saw 15 e-mails from recruiters. YAY! Oh nope. All rejections about full summer classes or non-existent summer classes. As I was pouting, my phone rang with an NYC area code. All excited, I ran into my bathroom and shut the door to keep the dogs out. I enthusiastically answered only get to get another telemarketer trying to tell me I won a free vacation. :evil:

That sucks. :( You sent out SO many apps though, I'm sure something will work out. The amount you've sent out really motivated me to start sending more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Guys, focus on the bigger firms now... the very small firms do not know until later their needs. Good luck to all of you... I am on the same position. The thing that also sucks about this process is that it is so draining that I think it will ruin my GPA and clerkship chances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 pm

What an emotional roller coaster. Depressed one moment, hopeful the next, depressed again....
Argh, hope it works out for us all. Praying hard

Return to “Legal Employment”