Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shock259

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby shock259 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Applying to firms in my home market this weekend. Will hopefully get some screeners/callbacks before leaving for NY.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you apply? How long did it take them to get back to you?

Applied late June, responses have been trickling in since then. Every firm is different.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:59 pm

I've had some success with interviews through mass mailing in my home market. However, it seems NYC and DC haven't really started yet.

So far, I've mass mailed 8 firms in my home market. 2 firms said they aren't having a summer class, 3 interviews, and 3 haven't responded yet. I did my mass mailing 2 weeks ago.

I mass mailed 120 DC offices, and so far, 1 rejection and some "bid for us at OCI or stop by our hospitality suite if you don't get an interview through the lottery."

Not sure if I will mass mail NYC offices given that I don't plan on being in NYC. I think I will just rely on OCI for NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:55 pm

T-30 top 25%/secondary journal, 39 sent in secondary markets w/ ties, 4 interviews (1 callback completed so far), 1 rejection so far...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Jessuf wrote:I've had some success with interviews through mass mailing in my home market. However, it seems NYC and DC haven't really started yet.

So far, I've mass mailed 8 firms in my home market. 2 firms said they aren't having a summer class, 3 interviews, and 3 haven't responded yet. I did my mass mailing 2 weeks ago.

I mass mailed 120 DC offices, and so far, 1 rejection and some "bid for us at OCI or stop by our hospitality suite if you don't get an interview through the lottery."

Not sure if I will mass mail NYC offices given that I don't plan on being in NYC. I think I will just rely on OCI for NYC.

I got a ding from Patton Boggs DC within 48 hours of applying. Completed a callback and received an invite to callback in September from my midwest home market.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:17 am

Straight up dinged by Sidley DC in the last couple days. First besides Proskauer Rose DC (according to NALP, they're not hiring anyone). That's ok, I was definitely sub-standard for their hiring GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 am

i'm leaving my market at the end of july, and am just now sending out some mass mail apps to the market. should i send some kind of email or soemthing to let them know that if they want to interview me while i'm here it has to be like NOW? is that rude?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:i'm leaving my market at the end of july, and am just now sending out some mass mail apps to the market. should i send some kind of email or soemthing to let them know that if they want to interview me while i'm here it has to be like NOW? is that rude?

just put in your initial email with the cover letter that you'll be in town until XX and would love to meet with them at their convenience before you leave

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i'm leaving my market at the end of july, and am just now sending out some mass mail apps to the market. should i send some kind of email or soemthing to let them know that if they want to interview me while i'm here it has to be like NOW? is that rude?

just put in your initial email with the cover letter that you'll be in town until XX and would love to meet with them at their convenience before you leave

okay thanks. what if it's through a like online application system (not an email)? i dont want it to get lost in the shuffle, but it might be too pushy to send something separate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

okay thanks. what if it's through a like online application system (not an email)? i dont want it to get lost in the shuffle, but it might be too pushy to send something separate.

put it in the last paragraph of your cover letter too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

put it in the last paragraph of your cover letter too

that's where it already is. that's the only place i mention i'm leaving so soon (there is no email that i'm sending bc of the online application system). is that okay? i'm guessing it's fine.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 am

I talked to my career services person at CLS yesterday. She said that I should not include my class rank/GPA from my previous school on my resume. She said that employers will know I did very well because I transferred to CLS. She also stressed that they like all CLS resumes to look very similar (and they don't like to put grades on apparently).

This seems kind of silly to me. But then again, I guess the class rank/GPA is on my transcript. Thoughts, TLS?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:38 am

shock259 wrote:I talked to my career services person at CLS yesterday. She said that I should not include my class rank/GPA from my previous school on my resume. She said that employers will know I did very well because I transferred to CLS. She also stressed that they like all CLS resumes to look very similar (and they don't like to put grades on apparently).

This seems kind of silly to me. But then again, I guess the class rank/GPA is on my transcript. Thoughts, TLS?

Yeah they are sticklers for not putting GPA/rank on there. They don't even tell you what your GPA is (or have an official calculation), but only if you're honors or not.

Because it's a lottery system, you can mention your old school rank/GPA in interviews and there isn't any negative effect to leaving it off your resume.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 am

Cool - that sounds good for EIP. Do you think I should leave it off for mass mailing to secondary markets too?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:52 am

shock259 wrote:Cool - that sounds good for EIP. Do you think I should leave it off for mass mailing to secondary markets too?

Hmmmmm... good question. If your rank was somewhere like top 1-5%, maybe, but I kind of feel like transferring says enough about your performance. Yeah, I would go ahead and put it on for mass mailing. Every little helps, right? I've learned very quickly not to listen to much of what OCS says (except in cases like the EIP resume thing, where they can see what you did and will force you to change it).

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Is silence from small-medium firms a good thing? Does this mean that they are least considering my applications, talking to other partners about having interns, etc? Or are they just opening up the email or letter and tossing it into the trash?

akili

Postby akili » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Finally got a reply. Just a "wait and see" one, but it was awesome to hear something back. Great to feel like I'm not throwing my stuff into an abyss.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:13 pm

If you had kind of an informal interview/chat with a really young associate on a callback, is it better to have your thank you note be more formal or less? I don't want to confirm any ideas that I'm unprofessional, but I also don't want to seem stiff and awkward. Thoughts?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 pm

piccolittle wrote:If you had kind of an informal interview/chat with a really young associate on a callback, is it better to have your thank you note be more formal or less? I don't want to confirm any ideas that I'm unprofessional, but I also don't want to seem stiff and awkward. Thoughts?

Mine were in between. I'd do the formal stuff at the beginning but always add a more personalized note about something non-work they discussed with me, like a vacation they were about to go on or a house they were buying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Going 4/5 on responses to my callback thank yous. Can't figure out if it's a good sign or bad sign but I'm super nervous... Now I just have to wait a couple weeks for my ding letter :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:35 pm

I applied to a firm in my secondary market, and received an e-mail from the recruiting coordinator saying that the hiring partners would like to meet me next time I'm in the area. It sounds very laidback and casual, so I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm just (pleasantly) surprised given that my grades aren't exactly top-notch. I'm not currently at that location, but I think its worth it to fly there to meet the attorneys, even if its just for a screener. Does it sound like an interview to you guys though?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a firm in my secondary market, and received an e-mail from the recruiting coordinator saying that the hiring partners would like to meet me next time I'm in the area. It sounds very laidback and casual, so I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm just (pleasantly) surprised given that my grades aren't exactly top-notch. I'm not currently at that location, but I think its worth it to fly there to meet the attorneys, even if its just for a screener. Does it sound like an interview to you guys though?

This sounds like a screener. This is exactly what happened to me, and both firms I met with decided to invite me to callbacks afterwords. I'd say its worth it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a firm in my secondary market, and received an e-mail from the recruiting coordinator saying that the hiring partners would like to meet me next time I'm in the area. It sounds very laidback and casual, so I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm just (pleasantly) surprised given that my grades aren't exactly top-notch. I'm not currently at that location, but I think its worth it to fly there to meet the attorneys, even if its just for a screener. Does it sound like an interview to you guys though?

This sounds like a screener. This is exactly what happened to me, and both firms I met with decided to invite me to callbacks afterwords. I'd say its worth it.

Thanks for your response. Wow, that's awesome! Big congrats to you!! =) Any tips on how to turn a screener into a callback? I'm not the best interviewer but I'm working on it, and trying to have solid answers prepared for some tough questions. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for your response. Wow, that's awesome! Big congrats to you!! =) Any tips on how to turn a screener into a callback? I'm not the best interviewer but I'm working on it, and trying to have solid answers prepared for some tough questions. Thanks!

Thanks! Honestly, just relax and be likable and friendly. The beauty of thee screeners is sometimes they can go longer than 20 minutes since you're not one of 20-50 students the firm is interviewing at once. Show genuine and specific interest in the firm and its main practice areas. You'll be fine-good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 am

Can any 3Ls or someone who knows 3Ls speak to if they are sending anything out, and hearing anything back, yet? I have heard mass mail later as a 3L but also hear of people doing it now so am confused. Is it detrimental to go too early? Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”