Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gorki

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Gorki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Applying to midlaw, small, and rural firms in my secondary-market state. All the vibes I am getting are that non-OCI firms are not forecasting their summer needs until January-February... Still sending out resumes but it seems in my market I will be re-mailing during winter break... Assuming OCI fails for me, I have officially lost the privilege of slacking 2L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:35 am

Hahn and Hessen ding via snail mail.

padthai

Postby padthai » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Anyone who did a phone screener mind sharing how long your call was?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:52 pm

padthai wrote:Anyone who did a phone screener mind sharing how long your call was?

Mine have been ~15 mins

padthai

Postby padthai » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
padthai wrote:Anyone who did a phone screener mind sharing how long your call was?

Mine have been ~15 mins

Really? That sounds kind of short. If you don't mind me asking, did you get a CB from those firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:20 pm

padthai wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Mine have been ~15 mins

Really? That sounds kind of short. If you don't mind me asking, did you get a CB from those firms?

One just happened yesterday, the other was a week ago but she said the next stages wouldn't be for another couple weeks (and it wasn't a scheduled screener, it was just a first call and (s)he just asked about my interest in the firm and area) so idk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Is it too late for snail mail?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:27 pm

All my phone screeners have been about 15-20 minute range, much like any other OCI screener really, only over the phone.

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:All my phone screeners have been about 15-20 minute range, much like any other OCI screener really, only over the phone.

Did you write anything different in your cover letters when you knew you were only available for a phone screener? I usually end by saying I will be in the market on X dates but I can't do that for DC.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:52 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:
r6_philly wrote:All my phone screeners have been about 15-20 minute range, much like any other OCI screener really, only over the phone.

Did you write anything different in your cover letters when you knew you were only available for a phone screener? I usually end by saying I will be in the market on X dates but I can't do that for DC.

I did not indicate in-person availabilities, I think phone screener is pretty standard unless you happen to be around the area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:31 pm

I am going to my hometown for a day in a couple weeks so I mass-mailed some firms and got an interview with one of them. It is a mid-size firm and I'm meeting with one of the partners.

I don't know when the next time I'll be back in that town, so what happens if they like me? Do mid-size firms usually fly people out for callbacks?

If so, should I just treat this as a screener and hope that they like me enough to fly me out?

If not, what can I do to increase my chances of getting an offer?

Thanks!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 pm

So I have ties to Florida. I already did mass mail for big, mid, small law firms there. I received some screeners and CBs.

I also mass mailed big and mid law firms in NYC and DC. So far, zero bites through mass mail in those two cities.

At this point, I did 3 CBs back in July and have 2 coming up. Still have not heard back from the 3 CB firms, so I'm assuming ding.

So um, what should my next step be? My only ties are to Florida. I have no idea where to mass mail next or if I'm just supposed to sit and wait.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am going to my hometown for a day in a couple weeks so I mass-mailed some firms and got an interview with one of them. It is a mid-size firm and I'm meeting with one of the partners.

I don't know when the next time I'll be back in that town, so what happens if they like me? Do mid-size firms usually fly people out for callbacks?

If so, should I just treat this as a screener and hope that they like me enough to fly me out?

If not, what can I do to increase my chances of getting an offer?

Thanks!

i have a call-back with a mid-sized firm (40ish people) that is out of state. they are paying for everything (transportation, hotel, food, etc) so yes, at least some will pay for call backs.

i would treat this as a screener if you are only meeting one person

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Jessuf wrote:So I have ties to Florida. I already did mass mail for big, mid, small law firms there. I received some screeners and CBs.

I also mass mailed big and mid law firms in NYC and DC. So far, zero bites through mass mail in those two cities.

At this point, I did 3 CBs back in July and have 2 coming up. Still have not heard back from the 3 CB firms, so I'm assuming ding.

So um, what should my next step be? My only ties are to Florida. I have no idea where to mass mail next or if I'm just supposed to sit and wait.

i started mailing markets i would like to live in and markets my school has connections to but i feel you this. there has to be a time when it you can't mass mail no more.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:21 pm

dreakol wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So I have ties to Florida. I already did mass mail for big, mid, small law firms there. I received some screeners and CBs.

i started mailing markets i would like to live in and markets my school has connections to but i feel you this. there has to be a time when it you can't mass mail no more.

I'm in DC, so I guess I can try MD or VA? I would hate living in those states, though, if not near DC. BUT I do need a job.

I guess I will try my luck with the bigger sized legal markets.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late for snail mail?

If you are talking v100 or NLJ 250, you need to mail immediately. Otherwise, It is never too late. Especially if you can accept that you might not be getting a biglaw SA. In fact a lot of mid/small firms I have spoke with are not sure at this point what their hiring needs are going to be for next summer... So if possible, pitch yourself as being able to work immediately so they can't just plop your mass mail in some inbox for future reference (if you have a ton of commitments this semester that you can't back out of, obv. do not say you can do this then half-ass it). I get the vibe that for non-NALP and smaller firms, saying you want a "2013 SA position" just annoys them as they likely do not have a formal SA program, and hire students only if needed.

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Gorki wrote:

If you are talking v100 or NLJ 250, you need to mail immediately. Otherwise, It is never too late. Especially if you can accept that you might not be getting a biglaw SA. In fact a lot of mid/small firms I have spoke with are not sure at this point what their hiring needs are going to be for next summer... So if possible, pitch yourself as being able to work immediately so they can't just plop your mass mail in some inbox for future reference (if you have a ton of commitments this semester that you can't back out of, obv. do not say you can do this then half-ass it). I get the vibe that for non-NALP and smaller firms, saying you want a "2013 SA position" just annoys them as they likely do not have a formal SA program, and hire students only if needed.

What would you call the position then in your cover letter? Internship? I'm interested in applying to small- and mid-sized firms in NY but my school is far away so I can't really say I'm available to work immediately. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:28 am

dreakol wrote:

I am a pretty firm believer that unless you have substantial ties to a secondary, it's a no go. I have found that to be true even in Chicago. The only tie-less cities seem to be NYC and DC. So, a caveat before you start going crazy on the mass mailing

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 am

bigredforlaw wrote:
Gorki wrote:

What would you call the position then in your cover letter? Internship? I'm interested in applying to small- and mid-sized firms in NY but my school is far away so I can't really say I'm available to work immediately. Thanks.

Clerk works. Intern works as well. "Working for your firm in some capacity" is a catch all I use sometimes.

Be clear about start dates. Let them know you are really interested in a future opportunity with the firm, but given you are hundreds or w/e miles away you won't be available until next summer.

Postby 071816 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 am

Gorki wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:
Gorki wrote:

Clerk works. Intern works as well. "Working for your firm in some capacity" is a catch all I use sometimes.

Be clear about start dates. Let them know you are really interested in a future opportunity with the firm, but given you are hundreds or w/e miles away you won't be available until next summer.

This sounds really awkward.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:17 am

If I'm following up with (mid-size Texas) firms that I mailed about a month ago, how should I phrase the email?

"I wanted to reiterate my interest in working for ___. Checking to see if you received all my materials and if you needed any additional information."

Also, should I wait until after UT's OCI to re-mail them?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

akili wrote:If I'm following up with (mid-size Texas) firms that I mailed about a month ago, how should I phrase the email?

"I wanted to reiterate my interest in working for ___. Checking to see if you received all my materials and if you needed any additional information."

I would wait until after OCI to re-mail them so that they can't say "see us at OCI." If they are coming to OCI, you could phrase it as "I'm sorry I was unable to meet with you at OCI, but I remain interested in you..."

akili

Postby akili » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:01 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
akili wrote:If I'm following up with (mid-size Texas) firms that I mailed about a month ago, how should I phrase the email?

I would wait until after OCI to re-mail them so that they can't say "see us at OCI." If they are coming to OCI, you could phrase it as "I'm sorry I was unable to meet with you at OCI, but I remain interested in you..."

Oh sorry, to clarify, I don't go to UT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Email ding from Cleary (NYC).

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Snail mail ding from a local firm I solicited an interest in clerking at. Was rejected for the "fulltime Associate Attorney position." 0.o

Return to “Legal Employment”