Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mges1321
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby mges1321 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Is resume launchpad not working for others? It only gives me "Server Error" webpage

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:08 am

For any Law Consortium LA Job Fair Goers, Sullivan & Cromwell LA has made callback calls.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby arism87 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:07 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
chimp wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Are you guys sending a follow-up email if you haven't gotten a response since you sent your initial email over two weeks ago? I'm debating doing this, but I'm not sure if it is too pushy and would hurt my prospects.

I would not do this.

Thanks. Not doing that is my gut, but I just wanted to make sure before I sent off any emails against that instinct. Any other opinions?


I did this. I mailed 6 places and followed up on 5 of them about 2 weeks later "to express my continued interest" (one beat me to it)- two gave me callbacks almost immediately after my followup, FWIW.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby dreakol » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 pm

when it comes down to booking the flight yourself for a callback, do you guys go for the cheapest option or the most convenient? my school is in a college town that has its own, expensive airport. cool to book from there or go to the nearest major city (couple hours away) where it is cheaper?

firm only mentioned paying me back for hotel and flight cost but not transportation to and from the airport

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 pm

arism87 wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
chimp wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Are you guys sending a follow-up email if you haven't gotten a response since you sent your initial email over two weeks ago? I'm debating doing this, but I'm not sure if it is too pushy and would hurt my prospects.

I would not do this.

Thanks. Not doing that is my gut, but I just wanted to make sure before I sent off any emails against that instinct. Any other opinions?


I did this. I mailed 6 places and followed up on 5 of them about 2 weeks later "to express my continued interest" (one beat me to it)- two gave me callbacks almost immediately after my followup, FWIW.


Mind sharing what market this was?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Another email ding :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Email dings from Lindahl Beck (LA) & Steptoe Johnson (LA) today. Neither are offering a 2013 summer associate program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Email ding from DLA Piper.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:31 pm

JenDarby wrote:This got a bit buried, but I think it would be nice to try and collectively post dings here for convenience:

OCI E-mail/Snail Mail Rejections by Firm

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Anything wrong with emailing after 5? On Fridays? On Weekends? Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anything wrong with emailing after 5? On Fridays? On Weekends? Thanks.

A friend of mine emailed an associate last night at midnight. He actually responded back immediately and said he'd be out of the office for a few days so he offered she call him right then to chat.

After 5 is fine.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby 071816 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anything wrong with emailing after 5? On Fridays? On Weekends? Thanks.

A friend of mine emailed an associate last night at midnight. He actually responded back immediately and said he'd be out of the office for a few days so he offered she call him right then to chat.

After 5 is fine.

A little phone sex?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby arism87 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
arism87 wrote:
I did this. I mailed 6 places and followed up on 5 of them about 2 weeks later "to express my continued interest" (one beat me to it)- two gave me callbacks almost immediately after my followup, FWIW.


Mind sharing what market this was?


PM me please

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Today was a good day, just got 2 screener requests from my mailings sent out in July. Both in non-NY non-hometown markets where I have no ties.

teabreeze
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby teabreeze » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 am

arism87 wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
chimp wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Are you guys sending a follow-up email if you haven't gotten a response since you sent your initial email over two weeks ago? I'm debating doing this, but I'm not sure if it is too pushy and would hurt my prospects.

I would not do this.

Thanks. Not doing that is my gut, but I just wanted to make sure before I sent off any emails against that instinct. Any other opinions?


I did this. I mailed 6 places and followed up on 5 of them about 2 weeks later "to express my continued interest" (one beat me to it)- two gave me callbacks almost immediately after my followup, FWIW.


Do you guys think following up twice over a month is too much?

Also, please pm me the market, too!

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Gorki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:55 pm

What is the credited way to mail to a smaller firm that has no contact information exclusively for employment? I feel that sending to their info@ email 'To Whom it May Concern' will go nowhere.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Gorki wrote:What is the credited way to mail to a smaller firm that has no contact information exclusively for employment? I feel that sending to their info@ email 'To Whom it May Concern' will go nowhere.


A school alum.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Got an interview in my home market from mass mail. It's two partners and two associates. I'm assuming this is straight to callback. Or am I wrong?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview in my home market from mass mail. It's two partners and two associates. I'm assuming this is straight to callback. Or am I wrong?

Yeah sounds like a callback.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby 071816 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Seems like firms that aren't on NALP Directory typically don't have a summer associate program. Do you guys think that this is generally true?

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby tedalbany » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 pm

chimp wrote:Seems like firms that aren't on NALP Directory typically don't have a summer associate program. Do you guys think that this is generally true?


No. I've seen quite a few that have info about summer programs who aren't on NALP, or firms that come to our OCI and aren't on NALP. If there's no NALP + no summer info on the website then yeah you can probably assume there is no formal summer program (but still try anyway).

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Gorki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:28 pm

chimp wrote:Seems like firms that aren't on NALP Directory typically don't have a summer associate program. Do you guys think that this is generally true?


Most of these firms just do not have the cash or logistics to plan out whether they will need a clerk in 9 months. It is a good idea to send a cover letter, resume, and transcript. Let them know you are not aware of any opening but are really interested in the firm because of XYZ. Several firms have told me to check back after first semester of 2L if I am still looking for work, and while I hope I have a summer job by then, its nice to know there are a few firms that could pull through.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:33 pm

Email ding from Glaser Weil Fink Jacobs Howard Avchen & Shapiro LLP (LA). They aren't offering a 2013 summer program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:31 pm

I just got a call from an OCI firm that will be interviewing in October that asked if I wanted to come down in early September and visit the office for the interview. They are within my grade range and located in my hometown. Definitely good news, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got a call from an OCI firm that will be interviewing in October that asked if I wanted to come down in early September and visit the office for the interview. They are within my grade range and located in my hometown. Definitely good news, right?


Is that a rhetorical question? Nice gloat.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.