Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Sent out 30 more mass mails...nothing...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Any thoughts on leaving out the transcript if I am in the bottom half? GPA is already on the resume and by itself, looks more like median (schools curve differently). Also, I took a year off, and that's obvious from the transcript. I know that any firm interested will see it at some point, I am just wondering if the red flag from a missing transcript overwhelms any possible advantage from delaying that info.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on leaving out the transcript if I am in the bottom half? GPA is already on the resume and by itself, looks more like median (schools curve differently). Also, I took a year off, and that's obvious from the transcript. I know that any firm interested will see it at some point, I am just wondering if the red flag from a missing transcript overwhelms any possible advantage from delaying that info.

I generally only send resume with the first contact. If they ask for me, I will attach them. Hopefully in your case, they may like your resume enough to overlook the issues on your transcript if they get to asking for it.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on leaving out the transcript if I am in the bottom half? GPA is already on the resume and by itself, looks more like median (schools curve differently). Also, I took a year off, and that's obvious from the transcript. I know that any firm interested will see it at some point, I am just wondering if the red flag from a missing transcript overwhelms any possible advantage from delaying that info.

I generally only send resume with the first contact. If they ask for me, I will attach them. Hopefully in your case, they may like your resume enough to overlook the issues on your transcript if they get to asking for it.

Agreed. I only send a cover letter and resume, unless the firm's website states that they want a transcript and/or writing sample, too. Why send them additional stuff if they don't ask for it?

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Agreed. I only send a cover letter and resume, unless the firm's website states that they want a transcript and/or writing sample, too. Why send them additional stuff if they don't ask for it?

I think it's perfectly fine to send along the transcript in an initial contact, but by no means required. I have no real professional working experience (outside of 1L summer, I've only done blue collar stuff not on my resume), so I rely on grades to give some proxy of work ethic. In the end, though, I can't imagine a Biglaw firm extending a callback or an offer without at least having one's unofficial transcript in its possession.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm

DreamShake wrote:In the end, though, I can't imagine a Biglaw firm extending a callback or an offer without at least having one's unofficial transcript in its possession.

Perhaps not, but they may well have decided to extend you an offer pending verification of your transcript. In that case, like I said, perhaps some small issues with the transcript will not sink you because they already liked your resume. But if you send the transcript with the resume they may screen you out just based on the transcript without having your resume read. I suspect this heavily depends on what school you go to (resumes from top schools may get more serious looks without the transcript).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks largely to the advice on this forum, I managed to get a phone screener. Felt like it went pretty well. How quick is the turnaround time for Southern firms? Will I get an email if I don't get a callback?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Southern firms, in my experience, are much slower than NYC. It's really annoying.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:To echo an earlier question, I know firms are all different, but do callbacks usually come slower than dings from screeners? Part of me wants to think I still have a shot at the firm I haven't heard from since my Thursday screener. Maybe they send out dings as they cull the pool, then send out CB offers? Or every firm is different. Bad sign though? What's the longest anyone's waited between a screener and callback offer? It's not like I had a jillion screeners, so I'm biting my nails...

Um, find out if other people who interviewed for that firm had CBs. If so and it's been 1-2 days since they have had one, it's 100% a ding, at least if it's NYC.

Don't know any of the people who were listed on the door.

ETA: Interviewing for multiple offices, one of which is in NYC, others are in NJ. I suppose it could be taking longer because my info is being passed around between offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Two invites to interview with Philly firms in the last few days- one said it had to be after Sept 3rd so it seems it's still early for them

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Two invites to interview with Philly firms in the last few days- one said it had to be after Sept 3rd so it seems it's still early for them

That time frame sounds like after OCI interviews/cbs. I got CBs from job fairs (our OCI starts tomorrow) and the available dates for me to choose are all before labor day. So maybe they generally have a system to consider mass mail candidates after OCI candidates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:08 am

Was invited to spend a couple of weeks with a firm somewhere.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 am

Was invited to shove it up my ass by the 10 dings I've received so far

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am

Do you guys add a firm specific paragraph or blurb in your cover letters? As in, "In a interested in firm X because of ...."

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys add a firm specific paragraph or blurb in your cover letters? As in, "In a interested in firm X because of ...."

Yes. Just make it a mail merge field.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 pm

LeDique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys add a firm specific paragraph or blurb in your cover letters? As in, "In a interested in firm X because of ...."

Thanks. This is gonna be a LOT of work. How long is it? Sentence or paragraph? Sorry, I'm just trying to get a sense of what everyone is doing, and the optimum amount of effort to put into this (i.e., I don't want to waste time on unnecessary stuff).

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LeDique wrote:

Thanks. This is gonna be a LOT of work. How long is it? Sentence or paragraph? Sorry, I'm just trying to get a sense of what everyone is doing, and the optimum amount of effort to put into this (i.e., I don't want to waste time on unnecessary stuff).

I just alter the final sentence of my first paragraph if it's not a firm my WE exactly lines up with. If its a firm where my experience is perfect for then I will tailor my second paragraph to be a bit more specific to the field, whereas I keep it slightly more general for firms that don't SPECIALIZE in the field I worked in.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:16 pm

I don't have a tailor made sentence unless I already know why. I just change everywhere in my CL where it says the firm name and change the address header. And I have a different sentence for NYC and SF at the end of my first paragraph. I figure they won't really read the CL anyway and go straight to resume/transcript.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Email ding from Farella Braun & Martel today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Got an email ding from Haynes & Boone yesterday.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Are you guys sending a follow-up email if you haven't gotten a response since you sent your initial email over two weeks ago? I'm debating doing this, but I'm not sure if it is too pushy and would hurt my prospects.

Postby 071816 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Are you guys sending a follow-up email if you haven't gotten a response since you sent your initial email over two weeks ago? I'm debating doing this, but I'm not sure if it is too pushy and would hurt my prospects.

I would not do this.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 pm

chimp wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Are you guys sending a follow-up email if you haven't gotten a response since you sent your initial email over two weeks ago? I'm debating doing this, but I'm not sure if it is too pushy and would hurt my prospects.

I would not do this.

Thanks. Not doing that is my gut, but I just wanted to make sure before I sent off any emails against that instinct. Any other opinions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Email ding from McGuireWoods

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

This got a bit buried, but I think it would be nice to try and collectively post dings here for convenience:

OCI E-mail/Snail Mail Rejections by Firm

Return to “Legal Employment”