Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby crossarmant » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm

V15 interview for a secondary office! Huzzah!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People snail mail ding you when you mass mail? Literal wtf.



Have had a very surprising number of these.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People snail mail ding you when you mass mail? Literal wtf.


Got it from a number of judges 1L. Nothing yet this year.

And nice use of anon, brah

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 pm

10 more mass mailings sent out today...so far no bites...

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby shock259 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 pm

EIP is almost over. As soon as I get done with that, it's back to the mass mail grind. In my 100 or so emails, I've gotten 2 screeners, a couple of rejections, and about 95% silence.

List:
1) Non-EIP NYC firms
2) Non-EIP DC firms

Fun never ends.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:People snail mail ding you when you mass mail? Literal wtf.



Have had a very surprising number of these.

I even got some very classy rejections from firms that I never applied to. Like good stock, hand signed by a partner, etc.

Best I can tell they got my resume through OCS resume books that they send directly to employers. By and large these came from white shoe NY firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 am

I did get one offer for an interview from a smaller market via snail mail. Essentially it said "when you are in-town, call us to schedule an appointment."

But, if you get something from a Biglaw firm in the mail, you're, what's the word for it, hmmmm, FUCKED.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 pm

shock259 wrote:EIP is almost over. As soon as I get done with that, it's back to the mass mail grind. In my 100 or so emails, I've gotten 2 screeners, a couple of rejections, and about 95% silence.

List:
1) Non-EIP NYC firms
2) Non-EIP DC firms

Fun never ends.

100 emails? Holy crap...mind if I ask what school/grades?

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shock259 wrote:EIP is almost over. As soon as I get done with that, it's back to the mass mail grind. In my 100 or so emails, I've gotten 2 screeners, a couple of rejections, and about 95% silence.

List:
1) Non-EIP NYC firms
2) Non-EIP DC firms

Fun never ends.

100 emails? Holy crap...mind if I ask what school/grades?


EIP sounds like it could be HLS or CLS. (source: friends who are smarter than me talking about interviews). I know CLS' EIP ends this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rough day - 4 dings

Skadden (snail mail), Manatt (email), Fox Rothschild (email), McAndrews (snail mail)


If you don't mind my asking, when was your Fox screener?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Email ding from Riker today (screener on Friday). No word from Fox Rothschild (screener Thursday). Should I assume Fox is a ding at this point?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11772
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:21 pm

ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


Word. Let's start a firm. You me and a dozen other TLSers. As long as y'all have cool sounding names.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 pm

After nearly 200 mass mailings, I managed to secure 2 screeners from secondary markets. I am pretty stoked that I got something out of completing all of the mind-numbing applications.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11772
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:35 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


Word. Let's start a firm. You me and a dozen other TLSers. As long as y'all have cool sounding names.

My last name is unique and badass.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:39 pm

ilovesf wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


Word. Let's start a firm. You me and a dozen other TLSers. As long as y'all have cool sounding names.

My last name is unique and badass.


Cool. You can head up the CA office, I'll do NYC.

User avatar
lawschoofoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby lawschoofoo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:43 pm

ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


I hope to all gods, old and new, that I am not still sending this shit out after OCI

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11772
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:47 pm

lawschoofoo wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


I hope to all gods, old and new, that I am not still sending this shit out after OCI

Problem is even if you have a lot of CBs you likely won't hear about offers for a while.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13300
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby JenDarby » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 pm

ilovesf wrote:
lawschoofoo wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


I hope to all gods, old and new, that I am not still sending this shit out after OCI

Problem is even if you have a lot of CBs you likely won't hear about offers for a while.

Exactly. You're better off hedging your bets now than waiting on the hope/assumption you will get an offer.

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:17 pm

lawschoofoo wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


I hope to all gods, old and new, that I am not still sending this shit out after OCI


The old gods have no power in the law school

User avatar
reformed calvinist
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby reformed calvinist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 pm

To echo an earlier question, I know firms are all different, but do callbacks usually come slower than dings from screeners? Part of me wants to think I still have a shot at the firm I haven't heard from since my Thursday screener. Maybe they send out dings as they cull the pool, then send out CB offers? Or every firm is different. Bad sign though? What's the longest anyone's waited between a screener and callback offer? It's not like I had a jillion screeners, so I'm biting my nails...

User avatar
lawschoofoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby lawschoofoo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
lawschoofoo wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


I hope to all gods, old and new, that I am not still sending this shit out after OCI


The old gods have no power in the law school


I knew it.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby target » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:12 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Post-OCI sending out more mass-mails. I'm so tired of this. :|


Word. Let's start a firm. You me and a dozen other TLSers. As long as y'all have cool sounding names.

My last name is unique and badass.


Cool. You can head up the CA office, I'll do NYC.


Do you guys need a branch in SoCal?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:15 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:To echo an earlier question, I know firms are all different, but do callbacks usually come slower than dings from screeners? Part of me wants to think I still have a shot at the firm I haven't heard from since my Thursday screener. Maybe they send out dings as they cull the pool, then send out CB offers? Or every firm is different. Bad sign though? What's the longest anyone's waited between a screener and callback offer? It's not like I had a jillion screeners, so I'm biting my nails...

Um, find out if other people who interviewed for that firm had CBs. If so and it's been 1-2 days since they have had one, it's 100% a ding, at least if it's NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 pm

word is that someone got a Cravath offer today at my T25...don't know if they are accepting (it was through mass mail)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.