Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:37 pm

I have a life sciences background (no patent bar) and am interested in IP lit and other pharma industry focused practices. I've been mass mailing every large firm in my 2 main markets that have such a practice but this list isn't anywhere near the 200 firms you guys have reached. Would you recommend I tweak my resume/cover letter and apply to other firms without a strong IP/pharma practice? Right now my resume pretty much screams IP. Thanks.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:40 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Gotti wrote:Tagging. I'm a little late but I'm hoping to send out a shit ton more of mass mails to NYC. Nervous.

I'm right there with you. Are you hitting CA too?

Eh, some of them. Only the NY firms with offices in Silicon Valley and SF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Gotti wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Gotti wrote:Tagging. I'm a little late but I'm hoping to send out a shit ton more of mass mails to NYC. Nervous.

What firms are there in NYC that don't come to FLS?

akili

Postby akili » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Good idea or bad idea to go back to firms I've applied to and contact alumni that went to my law school? (just asking them for general info, not asking for a job)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:48 pm

akili wrote:Good idea or bad idea to go back to firms I've applied to and contact alumni that went to my law school? (just asking them for general info, not asking for a job)

Good.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Gotti wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

What firms are there in NYC that don't come to FLS?

I don't know, but I'm mass mailing the firms that are coming that I didn't get a chance to bid on

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:57 pm

I just realized that there was a "J" added before the "Education" heading on the resume I sent out to the firms I mass mailed... Does this mean I should pretty much give up hope on all of these firms? This didn't happen with any of my OCI firms or Resume Collection firms, so I'm not exactly sure how this happened.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just realized that there was a "J" added before the "Education" heading on the resume I sent out to the firms I mass mailed... Does this mean I should pretty much give up hope on all of these firms? This didn't happen with any of my OCI firms or Resume Collection firms, so I'm not exactly sure how this happened.

Unfortunately - Yeah, probably a brutal mistake.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Stupid question: Do we indent in mass mails?

Like...

Dear XXX.

I'm YYY...

or:

Dear XXX.

I'm YYY

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stupid question: Do we indent in mass mails?

Like...

Dear XXX.

I'm YYY...

or:

Dear XXX.

I'm YYY

wat

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:35 pm

How do you guys address associates/partner alumni when you email them out of the blue? Hi Mr? Dear Mr?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just realized that there was a "J" added before the "Education" heading on the resume I sent out to the firms I mass mailed... Does this mean I should pretty much give up hope on all of these firms? This didn't happen with any of my OCI firms or Resume Collection firms, so I'm not exactly sure how this happened.

I realized I had a typo on my transcript I turned in for OCI. I am pretty sure that's why my CB conversion rate is really low. I'm 2/20. It sucks. It is totally my fault. It's really frustrating though that I had around 3 people proof read all of my material and none of us saw it. We just have to fix the mistakes, move on, and apply to more places.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm updating my references and adding my judge from this summer. When I list the phone number, should I list her chambers' number? It isn't listed on the court website, but I have it. It goes to her assistant. I could also list her Calendar Clerk & Courtroom Deputy, which is on the judge's website. I just don't want to give any information I shouldn't be giving. I doubt anyone will call anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm guessing just sending resume and transcript is ineffective/not acceptable for NYC mass mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an invite for screener outside of OCI from Kirkland & Ellis. Waited 2 days to respond to figure out when I'd be available due to other pending interviews. K&E said their schedule was full...didn't get screener...

which office?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm guessing just sending resume and transcript is ineffective/not acceptable for NYC mass mail?

It's time consuming, but check each firms website. Every NYC firm I've applied to has had explicit instructions on the site, whether it was using their own career services platform or emailing specific documents to a specific individual.

ShitLawOrBust

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm guessing just sending resume and transcript is ineffective/not acceptable for NYC mass mail?

You probably want to send a cover letter, too. However I copped 2 interviews recently from NYC firms that I didn't send cover letters to, so it all depends.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:48 pm

LeDique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Stupid question: Do we indent in mass mails?

Like...

Dear XXX.

I'm YYY...

or:

Dear XXX.

I'm YYY

wat

I get what he/she's saying...I didn't indent. I don't think it matters. Our CPC gave us a binder with sample cover letters and there are both versions.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 pm

ShitLawOrBust wrote:

You probably want to send a cover letter, too. However I copped 2 interviews recently from NYC firms that I didn't send cover letters to, so it all depends.

I would just write a generic cover letter to send out if you're not trying to specifically target the firms. Unless your grades are amazing and/or something on your resume really stands out as being unique, a resume + transcript can come of as lazy IMO. I have a generic cover letter in which I just replace the firm name. I also have a litigation cover letter for certain types of firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Has anyone gotten interview offers via snail mail? Or is it safe to assume that anything coming snail = fail?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:16 pm

ilovesf wrote:I'm updating my references and adding my judge from this summer. When I list the phone number, should I list her chambers' number? It isn't listed on the court website, but I have it. It goes to her assistant. I could also list her Calendar Clerk & Courtroom Deputy, which is on the judge's website. I just don't want to give any information I shouldn't be giving. I doubt anyone will call anyway.

When you asked the judge if he/she would be a reference, did you not ask what his/her preferred email and phone number to be contacted at? If not - Call or email him/her and ask.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:18 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I'm updating my references and adding my judge from this summer. When I list the phone number, should I list her chambers' number? It isn't listed on the court website, but I have it. It goes to her assistant. I could also list her Calendar Clerk & Courtroom Deputy, which is on the judge's website. I just don't want to give any information I shouldn't be giving. I doubt anyone will call anyway.

When you asked the judge if he/she would be a reference, did you not ask what his/her preferred email and phone number to be contacted at? If not - Call or email him/her and ask.

She said call because she isn't allowed to put anything in writing, but it didn't cross my mind to ask which number. I think I will just put the Chambers number because people would get transferred to that number anyway. (and it comes up on google)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Anyone actually get an offer from mass mailing from a market paying NYC firm?

Seems like there's a lot of success from secondary markets but I haven't been reading too much about NYC success.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Rough day - 4 dings

Skadden (snail mail), Manatt (email), Fox Rothschild (email), McAndrews (snail mail)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:34 pm

People snail mail ding you when you mass mail? Literal wtf.

Return to “Legal Employment”