Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mr_toad

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby mr_toad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

V-20 in major secondary market just e-mailed me requesting a writing sample. Hope this shows interest and not just a standard requirement for them to look at my application as a whole...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Gunster callback emails went out yesterday as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Simpson Thacher ding today. Finally at least got a ding from somebody.

Does Ding come in snail mail?
How long did it take for you to hear back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm

mr_toad wrote:V-20 in major secondary market just e-mailed me requesting a writing sample. Hope this shows interest and not just a standard requirement for them to look at my application as a whole...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Just got a "come to our suite at OCI and bring your resume/transcript" ding from a V50.

Anonymous User

I know Carlton Fields is hiring because I did a CB there a while ago. Never heard from them after that.

I mass mailed Gunster back in June while in Florida for my internship. Never heard from them either, but my friend got a screener and her ranking is a lot worse than mine.

Also, I got my Simpson Thacher ding via e-mail. Took about a week.

Anonymous User

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a "come to our suite at OCI and bring your resume/transcript" ding from a V50.

Wait, you would consider THAT a ding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know Carlton Fields is hiring because I did a CB there a while ago. Never heard from them after that.

I mass mailed Gunster back in June while in Florida for my internship. Never heard from them either, but my friend got a screener and her ranking is a lot worse than mine.

Also, I got my Simpson Thacher ding via e-mail. Took about a week.

Hmm. My roommate back home told me I got a mail from a law firm, and I am curious of the content..
Guess good news never comes in snail mail thoough?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm

So far, nothing positive coming from DC. Either dings, we'll be in touch, or stop by our hospitality suite. Maybe I will throw some salt over my shoulder.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr_toad wrote:V-20 in major secondary market just e-mailed me requesting a writing sample. Hope this shows interest and not just a standard requirement for them to look at my application as a whole...

3-4 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:03 pm

mr_toad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

3-4 days.

If it's just silence/ignore, how should this be construed.....
I mean if this means that they are just not interested, why would they even bother dinging?

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr_toad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

3-4 days.

If it's just silence/ignore, how should this be construed.....
I mean if this means that they are just not interested, why would they even bother dinging?

Not sure if this last post was meant for me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:14 pm

[\quote] If it's just silence/ignore, how should this be construed.....
I mean if this means that they are just not interested, why would they even bother dinging?[/quote]

Not sure if this last post was meant for me?[/quote]

Oh it was but I know it was... pretty much out of context.
I was just throwing a question that's been bothering me, regarding firm's responses.
I did not hear back from ANY! WTF.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Out of 100 mass mails to NY/DC V-firms about 15-20 to major secondary region, about 10 dings, 2-3 interviews, and the rest silence or you will hear from us/come by OCI lounges. Complete silence from probably 80-90% after average 2-3 weeks. So it goes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems like many started having callbacks and this is fricken worrying me now (as I don't even have any initial screeners, ha).
Did anyone hear back from V50 law firms in nyc?

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Sent out apps to about 100 firms. So far, 10 e-mail rejections, and crickets chirping from the rest. *sigh* Are you guys e-mailing firms to follow up regarding whether they received your apps?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Any consensus on whether its best to send a cover letter as an attachment or just stick it in the body? Of the email.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any consensus on whether its best to send a cover letter as an attachment or just stick it in the body? Of the email.

There's no consensus, but personally I attach it as a formal business letter and use the body of the email to give a quick 2-3 line summary of who I am and what I want and why.

Honestly, I think putting the cover letter in the body of the email looks really unprofessional (but that's just me).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any consensus on whether its best to send a cover letter as an attachment or just stick it in the body? Of the email.

There's no consensus, but personally I attach it as a formal business letter and use the body of the email to give a quick 2-3 line summary of who I am and what I want and why.

Honestly, I think putting the cover letter in the body of the email looks really unprofessional (but that's just me).

Agree.

Also, a lot of the time, the application just gets passed on to a hiring partner, and it's better to me if it's all one PDF file.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Any 3Ls know when most mass mail activity happened? Are firms pretty much done after OCI/OCI-CBs?

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

Agree.

Also, a lot of the time, the application just gets passed on to a hiring partner, and it's better to me if it's all one PDF file.

This is also what I've been doing. Looks better and easier to forward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

Agree.

Unprofessional? Ick. Hope I didn't turn off my non-interview EIW mass-mails. Those started off super-short but seemed to grow in length with each batch.

I agree with you on the one-PDF thing, but I asked my OCS about it and he frowned upon it. Do you just past everything into one word doc and then convert it? Thanks.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:28 pm

CL, resume, transcript attached as individual PDFs

Short introduction in the body of the email.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

Agree.

Unprofessional? Ick. Hope I didn't turn off my non-interview EIW mass-mails. Those started off super-short but seemed to grow in length with each batch.

I agree with you on the one-PDF thing, but I asked my OCS about it and he frowned upon it. Do you just past everything into one word doc and then convert it? Thanks.

I have Adobe, and it has a feature that allows you to take a bunch of Word files and make one PDF from them.
Last edited by kalvano on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm

What's the appropriate response if you get an e-mail asking you to call and schedule a CB? Do I just reply with "thanks, I'll call you Monday"?

Edit: Follow up. Reply to Recruiting Coordinator and CC'd attorney in same e-mail, or separately? I wrote the attorney a thank you note after the screener.

padthai

Postby padthai » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:00 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea of approx how many office interviews V50 firms give out in response to mass mails?

Return to “Legal Employment”