Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:02 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just got a ding in the form of a forwarded email with no subject or body ...

How did you know it was a ding then?

saw there was an attachment, the attached letter had a ding

I've gotten like 10 dings the past 2 days ... it's a little disheartening, but I must trudge on

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 pm

is it ok to send out networking/information interview requests to alumni at a firm you're bidding on? I know alumni are usually the interviewers so I don't know if that complicates things...

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:14 pm

All the anon people complaining about the rejections - what did you expect, exactly? I feel like we've been told from the start it's going to be a long and hard path. Just be persistent, you're already ahead of a lot of your peers.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:35 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:All the anon people complaining about the rejections - what did you expect, exactly? I feel like we've been told from the start it's going to be a long and hard path. Just be persistent, you're already ahead of a lot of your peers.

It just feels good to vent sometimes.

And also rejoice when we get good news.

I feel like that is 50% of this thread, the other 50% being questions.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Jessuf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:All the anon people complaining about the rejections - what did you expect, exactly? I feel like we've been told from the start it's going to be a long and hard path. Just be persistent, you're already ahead of a lot of your peers.

For sure venting is good, but it easily turns into bitching about things that aren't really a big deal

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Jessuf wrote:

I like all of it - happy to give support to people who are venting, and happy to have people to commiserate with when I'm feeling down. Happy to share my good news and celebrate with others when they have successes (big or small). Happy to get my questions answered and share the little bit of knowledge I might have gained from stalking TLS.

Also, I started this thread (and obviously bumped it a lot in the beginning), so I'm happy to see that it's being used :oops:

akili

Postby akili » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:41 pm

I like having a place to vent, plus it has the side-effect of telling you what firms are making decisions (even if they are bad ones).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:41 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

I like all of it - happy to give support to people who are venting, and happy to have people to commiserate with when I'm feeling down. Happy to share my good news and celebrate with others when they have successes (big or small). Happy to get my questions answered and share the little bit of knowledge I might have gained from stalking TLS.

Also, I started this thread (and obviously bumped it a lot in the beginning), so I'm happy to see that it's being used :oops:

Plus I think in a way it's fairly good for morale when the large ding batches get posted. Well maybe not, but at least it's better than only the people getting interviews posting. Then it starts to feel like "wtf everyone is getting 20 screeners and all I'm getting is dings" due to the misrepresentative sample. Still obviously misrepresentative, but it isn't as bad.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:43 pm

I fully expect to get dings from everyone

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Got an offer from Cravath. They begged me to become an equity partner, but I'm not sure.

In all seriousness, anyone who strikes out at OCI and becomes a jerbless 3L interested in hanging a shingle and hustling in the Northeast, PM me. Only half joking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:23 pm

Callback V50 in LA, via mass mail. Good sh*t happens sometimes.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callback V50 in LA, via mass mail. Good sh*t happens sometimes.

ties? stats? firm? you can pm me if you like

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callback V50 in LA, via mass mail. Good sh*t happens sometimes.

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it ok to send out networking/information interview requests to alumni at a firm you're bidding on? I know alumni are usually the interviewers so I don't know if that complicates things...

yes. i did this with an alum in my desired practice group at a v50 firm in dc and it worked out great. he indicated they may try to pre-select me and at the very least, he would pass along my interest to those doing OCIs at my school. he also said it was good to show strong interest by reaching out ahead of time.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 pm

ding!

hoping journal results come out asap so i can update mass mails with some sort of journal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Offer for a phone screener from Cozen O'Connor DC!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer for a phone screener from Cozen O'Connor DC!

Congrats! I'm jealous. I just got my second DC ding of the day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:36 pm

crickets so far. began mass mailing the Texas market last tuesday. Emailed stuff to probably 40 different firms, with most being the DFW/Houston area. Received rejections from Bracewell & Giuliani and Greenburg Traurig (Dallas and Houston offices). A few other responses saying they are reviewing/will be reviewing applications shortly. Top 5% at Texas Tech on Law Review.

teabreeze

Postby teabreeze » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Congratulations!
If you don't mind, can you PM me your stats and any other relevant details? Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Cover letter, Resume, Transcript, Writing sample, all as one PDF File? Or separate?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Completely random question, and off-topic, but is it unprofessional to bring a bottle of water or something into the interviewer to drink during interviews. I tend to get incredible dry mouth during interviews (between talking and nerves). It's just incredibly distracting

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cover letter, Resume, Transcript, Writing sample, all as one PDF File? Or separate?

Many recommend doing them together. I've done all separate. Out of 100 mails in the last 3 weeks, 2 interviews, 3 dings, 2 give us some time, and silence on the rest. FWIW.

Postby 071816 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:04 pm

tedalbany wrote:

ties? stats? firm? you can pm me if you like

me too if you don't mind.

lawyergirl47

Postby lawyergirl47 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer for a phone screener from Cozen O'Connor DC!

Congrats! PM me stats?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:11 pm

mr_toad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cover letter, Resume, Transcript, Writing sample, all as one PDF File? Or separate?

Many recommend doing them together. I've done all separate. Out of 100 mails in the last 3 weeks, 2 interviews, 3 dings, 2 give us some time, and silence on the rest. FWIW.

when i mass mailed last year, i put my (very short) cover letter in the body of the email and then attached my resume and my transcript as two separate PDFs. I got two or three callbacks out of maybe 20 or 30 mass mails. I don't think you need to send a writing sample unless asked, and I think short cover letter in body of email is fine. I can post what my cover letter email said if you want to see an example.

Return to “Legal Employment”