Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are all your stats that got HW interviews? T15% at T30 and I got nada, mailed like 3-4 weeks ago ...

top 20% at a t20.

Also silence from HW. Applied about 2 weeks ago. Below median at T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:09 pm

Mailed out 9 apps to all FL firms. CB's this week at Greenberg, Akerman, Bilzin, and a lunch interview w/ Fowler White Boggs (w/ a partner but I assume its a screener). Southern T-14, ~top 30%, ironclad ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Should I register a skype account? Is it really common for them to ask? I'm not sure if my built in mic to my laptop even works well, so is there a way to say I'd rather do a phone interview?

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tedalbany wrote:lol 1 day turnaround for an arnold & porter ding

Just got a ding too, my first outright.

though I applied to lolDC and just saw that office is around as preftigious as W&C ... so not even mad

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mailed out 9 apps to all FL firms. CB's this week at Greenberg, Akerman, Bilzin, and a lunch interview w/ Fowler White Boggs (w/ a partner but I assume its a screener). Southern T-14, ~top 30%, ironclad ties.

are these all tampa?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mailed out 9 apps to all FL firms. CB's this week at Greenberg, Akerman, Bilzin, and a lunch interview w/ Fowler White Boggs (w/ a partner but I assume its a screener). Southern T-14, ~top 30%, ironclad ties.

are these all tampa?

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:36 pm

For the two people with silence from HW, don't sweat it. The recruiter told me that she brought me in for an interview because I was leaving the bay area after my internship ended this week. She said most action occurs in August. I think they're just now starting with recruiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm

When using something I wrote for work (with permission) that is redacted, should I also redact the attorney's name (the attorney I wrote it for) from it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the two people with silence from HW, don't sweat it. The recruiter told me that she brought me in for an interview because I was leaving the bay area after my internship ended this week. She said most action occurs in August. I think they're just now starting with recruiting.

I put that I'm leaving this week :|

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Okay, this is totally ridiculous, but I need your help anyway. I have had a callback on the books for a while, but they only got in touch to schedule it today. It's supposed to be on Friday. I'm coming down with a cold, and at this point I can't tell how bad it's going to be by Friday. Should I let them know that I'm getting sick and ask if I can have my interview at the NY office (where my school is, and where they were going to pass on my resume anyway after my callback)? Or should I suck it up and deal, since I've had a lot of interaction with lawyers from this office and they've been planning to bring me in for weeks, even if it hadn't been scheduled yet.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 pm

piccolittle wrote:Okay, this is totally ridiculous, but I need your help anyway. I have had a callback on the books for a while, but they only got in touch to schedule it today. It's supposed to be on Friday. I'm coming down with a cold, and at this point I can't tell how bad it's going to be by Friday. Should I let them know that I'm getting sick and ask if I can have my interview at the NY office (where my school is, and where they were going to pass on my resume anyway after my callback)? Or should I suck it up and deal, since I've had a lot of interaction with lawyers from this office and they've been planning to bring me in for weeks, even if it hadn't been scheduled yet.

A cold doesn't really count as sick. Take some OTC meds and suck it up.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 pm

wuduhel wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Okay, this is totally ridiculous, but I need your help anyway. I have had a callback on the books for a while, but they only got in touch to schedule it today. It's supposed to be on Friday. I'm coming down with a cold, and at this point I can't tell how bad it's going to be by Friday. Should I let them know that I'm getting sick and ask if I can have my interview at the NY office (where my school is, and where they were going to pass on my resume anyway after my callback)? Or should I suck it up and deal, since I've had a lot of interaction with lawyers from this office and they've been planning to bring me in for weeks, even if it hadn't been scheduled yet.

Yeah, fair enough. I just didn't want to be that douche who came in, shook everybody's hands, and spread a cold. Hopefully meds will get rid of this thing quickly, or at least any symptoms.

Thanks! I know it was a pretty silly question, but this is TLS.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Whaaaat, and I was pretty proud of myself for sending things to 6 firms. Epic fail. :evil:

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm getting tired of mailing, might have to end this at 170 firms. I hit all the big ones in cities I want, everything else I come across now does Personal Injury or insurance. Time to move on to phase II: Networking.

Is it worth it to try mailing alumni at this point? Or is it too last minute? I guess I'll still try since it'll help out with me hitting angles during the job search, just not sure what to expect.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 am

arism87 wrote:Whaaaat, and I was pretty proud of myself for sending things to 6 firms. Epic fail. :evil:

I only mailed one and got one callback. You could get all six.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:12 am

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:Whaaaat, and I was pretty proud of myself for sending things to 6 firms. Epic fail. :evil:

I only mailed one and got one callback. You could get all six.

Though this is true, the window to mass mail isn't long, and it's better to prep on the front end than find out later you're fucked. I had only 1 CB from OCI which ended in rejection. But I had a whole messa CBs from job fairs and mass mails, and I did get at least one offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:57 am

networking is TCR. Already getting a lot of help from someone in my dream field/area, another partner has requested my resume and wants to meet...

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 am

Oh wow, the dings are streaming in within minutes!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 am

wuduhel wrote:Oh wow, the dings are streaming in within minutes!

Which firms?

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms?

Actually, only one ding so far from Holland Knight. The others were out of office auto-replies and a positive response from a London firm.

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

wuduhel wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms?

Actually, only one ding so far from Holland Knight. The others were out of office auto-replies and a positive response from a London firm.

which h&k office?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:29 am

piccolittle wrote:
wuduhel wrote:

Yeah, fair enough. I just didn't want to be that douche who came in, shook everybody's hands, and spread a cold. Hopefully meds will get rid of this thing quickly, or at least any symptoms.

Thanks! I know it was a pretty silly question, but this is TLS.

Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and use it right before you walk in the door. Avoid touching your face, and if you have to cough or sneeze, do so in the crook of your elbow.

Congrats on the CB! Hope you feel better soon. :)

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 am

letsdoit wrote:
wuduhel wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms?

which h&k office?

I was targeting a specific practice group, not office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 pm

just got a ding in the form of a forwarded email with no subject or body ...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just got a ding in the form of a forwarded email with no subject or body ...

How did you know it was a ding then?

Return to “Legal Employment”