Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BEAST_mode

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby BEAST_mode » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
dreakol wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Any other T1 people with decent grades here? Need to know who my allies are...

define decent, brother? top 20 percent here with LR

getting no love from da firms

If you're getting nothing I don't stand a chance lol (top 1/3)

I didn't realize everyone was mass-mailing so soon. I was planning on starting next week when competitions were over

Top 15% w/secondary in the lower T1. Have about 100 apps out, hoping to put out another 100 or so by next week. Godspeed, brothers.

target

Postby target » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:02 am

I am curious as to how many firms you guys plan to mass mail. I spent this whole weekend sending out emails/letters, and kinda burnt out. This seems like a more taxing, hopeless effort than studying for finals last years.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:11 am

target wrote:I am curious as to how many firms you guys plan to mass mail. I spent this whole weekend sending out emails/letters, and kinda burnt out. This seems like a more taxing, hopeless effort than studying for finals last years.

After the next few weeks, I think I'll have done about 100-150 total.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:14 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
target wrote:I am curious as to how many firms you guys plan to mass mail. I spent this whole weekend sending out emails/letters, and kinda burnt out. This seems like a more taxing, hopeless effort than studying for finals last years.

After the next few weeks, I think I'll have done about 100-150 total.

How are you guys even finding that many firms that you want to mail? Are they across markets?

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:21 am

mailed 80 so far, just finished cover letters for another batch of about 90 firms I'll be sending out this week for a total of 170. Going to be looking for many more.

Across markets (just been running through the NLJ 350 for firms with SA programs in cities I like). Phase II is going to be checking regional chambers-partners rankings for practice areas I want in various regions of interest. After all is said and done I'll hopefully be up to at least 250-500

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:39 am

tedalbany wrote:

mailed 80 so far, just finished cover letters for another batch of about 90 firms I'll be sending out this week for a total of 170. Going to be looking for many more.

Across markets (just been running through the NLJ 350 for firms with SA programs in cities I like). Phase II is going to be checking regional chambers-partners rankings for practice areas I want in various regions of interest. After all is said and done I'll hopefully be up to at least 250-500

Damn! 250-500 is a lot of firms, dude! I've also been using the NLJ 350, and also Resume Launchpad and NALP, to find firms in my market (not across markets for me).

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:18 am

362. 220 are in my two primary markets and the remainder are in areas surrounding those markets or a third market I would be willing to live in. I need to get on NLJ350 for firms my first pass of NALP missed.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:04 am

I think I'll be in the 225-250 ballpark between 2 major markets and my home secondary. As to the hopelessness, I hear you loud and clear.

edit: grammar

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:43 am

It may be in here elsewhere, but if you were not selected at OCI in a 100% pre-select, should you mass-mail them again?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:It may be in here elsewhere, but if you were not selected at OCI in a 100% pre-select, should you mass-mail them again?

If your school allows it then yes.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It may be in here elsewhere, but if you were not selected at OCI in a 100% pre-select, should you mass-mail them again?

why would it matter if your school allows it?

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 am

tedalbany wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Theoretically, your school could lock you out of future Symplicity-based job things. Although if you struck out anyway during 2L OCI, this seems like more of a symbolic punishment. Could be some sort of integrity violation. Who knows. If it doesn't say you can't in your school's OCI packet, it's probably fine.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 am

reformed calvinist wrote:
tedalbany wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Theoretically, your school could lock you out of future Symplicity-based job things. Although if you struck out anyway during 2L OCI, this seems like more of a symbolic punishment. Could be some sort of integrity violation. Who knows. If it doesn't say you can't in your school's OCI packet, it's probably fine.

What other symplicity things would matter? My school says not to contact anyone coming to any form of OCI in any capacity, but whatever. It just seems highly unlikely a firm would get my cover letter, see I go to an OCI school, contact the school stating this is outrageous, then the school bans me from symplicity further hurting their own employment numbers and attempting to screw a tuition paying student, which would hardly matter anyway since I'd be banned from 3 LOLOLOLOCI and a couple of shitty job postings I could just apply to directly anyway...

tl;dr: fuck CSO

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:47 am

My Career Services tells 2L's there is a "NALP no-contact rule" that prevents them from contacting participating firms. I got in trouble for "violating" it, so I went and looked and they are flat-out lying. There is no such NALP rule. When I emailed them to ask where in the NALP guidelines I could find that rule, it took about 2.5 weeks to get a reply, and it was "Well, uh, that's really more like just an agreement with us and the firms...."

This year, in the "How OCI Works" email from Career Services, sure enough, in large bold print, they had "The NALP no-contact rule is in effect!"

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:34 am

I'm way behind with all of the other things going on right now: transfer stuff + moving + trying to find an apt. Hoping I can settle in and get about ~100 NYC letters this week. Should be a lot of the bigger NYC firms.

After that, I think OCI will drain my soul for a while. Hopefully I can start prepping a DC list to go out shortly after OCI.

Really should have started compiling these lists back at the beginning of the summer. For me, that is definitely the most time-consuming part of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:05 pm

kalvano wrote:My Career Services tells 2L's there is a "NALP no-contact rule" that prevents them from contacting participating firms. I got in trouble for "violating" it, so I went and looked and they are flat-out lying. There is no such NALP rule. When I emailed them to ask where in the NALP guidelines I could find that rule, it took about 2.5 weeks to get a reply, and it was "Well, uh, that's really more like just an agreement with us and the firms...."

This year, in the "How OCI Works" email from Career Services, sure enough, in large bold print, they had "The NALP no-contact rule is in effect!"

One of the firms I mass mailed after finishing my OCI bids was actually listed on the resume drop. But then again, it's just a resume drop not OCI

target

Postby target » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 pm

wow, that is impressive as i am still on my second batch of around 100+

Anonymous User wrote:

yeah, i don't think following school's instruction is a good idea. shit, I am the one who is doing the job search and is in debt, not my school's CSO staff.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:53 pm

target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yeah, i don't think following school's instruction is a good idea. shit, I am the one who is doing the job search and is in debt, not my school's CSO staff.

If your CSO says "there's no point in denying someone who didn't preselect you," then that's dumb. If the CSO says "it is an honor code violation to contact an employer who didn't preselect you," then it's a good idea to follow the school's instructions.

My school allows (and encourages) students to do it, but some absolutely prohibit it.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 pm

RPK34 wrote:If your CSO says "there's no point in denying someone who didn't preselect you," then that's dumb. If the CSO says "it is an honor code violation to contact an employer who didn't preselect you," then it's a good idea to follow the school's instructions.

My school allows (and encourages) students to do it, but some absolutely prohibit it.

My school encourages it as well. Just shot them an email asking as much and they were like "Go forth and sow your wild oats."

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:03 pm

RPK34 wrote:
target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If your CSO says "there's no point in denying someone who didn't preselect you," then that's dumb. If the CSO says "it is an honor code violation to contact an employer who didn't preselect you," then it's a good idea to follow the school's instructions.

Again, why does it matter if it's against the honor code? It isn't a matter of academic honesty or any sort of professional honor, it's a matter of putting us at a disadvantage relative to those at other schools where it isn't a big deal.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Just checked my e-mail for the first time today, expecting something after the 150 resumes I sent out.

::cricket chirp::

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Jessuf wrote:Just checked my e-mail for the first time today, expecting something after the 150 resumes I sent out.

Yep, I feel incredibly guilty every time I check my phone and find a missed call/vm, only to be hugely disappointed when it turns out to be my mom.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

got a telephone screener at a DC firm that pays a little below market (think between 110-150) by contacting an alum. he said hes going to forward my materials to the recruitment committee. very excited!

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm in DC (my target market) this week due to a surprise engagement party/family thing. I sent out a few emails to non-OCI firms as soon as I booked my flight last Friday saying I'd be here the coming week. I realize that's super last minute and didn't hear anything as expected. Now that I'm here and free all day until this Thursday night...what should I do? Should I call the recruitment # and see if they have time to just talk to me about their summer program? I figured this way I could say I spoke to someone when I write my cover letters... Or should I focus on finding alumni and ask to meet with them? FYI I have decent DC connections and am top 33% at T-30.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:21 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Just checked my e-mail for the first time today, expecting something after the 150 resumes I sent out.

Yep, I feel incredibly guilty every time I check my phone and find a missed call/vm, only to be hugely disappointed when it turns out to be my mom.

I'm gonna tell your mom you said this.

Return to “Legal Employment”