Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Just so you guys know, I sent out about 450 mailings last summer.

I was median at a then-T1, got about 10-12 screeners, 3 CB's, and I ended up with my summer job from it.

So keep at it. 99 out of 100 may say no, but it's only that 1 that matters.

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:19 pm

kalvano wrote:Just so you guys know, I sent out about 450 mailings last summer.

I was median at a then-T1, got about 10-12 screeners, 3 CB's, and I ended up with my summer job from it.

mind sharing what market(s) you focused on? Anything special that set you apart? Thanks for the encouragement!

target

Postby target » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:21 pm

This is encouraging.

ETA: do you know how fast/slow the TX market is in general?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:23 pm

letsdoit wrote:

mind sharing what market(s) you focused on? Anything special that set you apart? Thanks for the encouragement!

Texas (where I am from and going to school), New England (where my family is from), and the P/NW (where I, like a million other people, wouldn't mind ending up).

Ended up in Texas, but I'm going back and re-applying now as a 3L with much better grades. We'll see.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:24 pm

target wrote:

This is encouraging.

ETA: do you know how fast/slow the TX market is in general?

Now - August for Biglaw and the mid-size "big" firms, then on through the fall for small ones.

target

Postby target » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm

thanks kalvano. I am wrapping up things at my internship now, and will start spamming more firms this weekend.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Can you share your secrets on how you compiled your data for 450 firms and sent out your emails? Did your lists come from Resume Launchpad? Did you just look at each firm's website for any oddities? Did you mail merge the cover letters into PDFs?

Thanks

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:32 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Any other T1 people with decent grades here? Need to know who my allies are...

define decent, brother? top 20 percent here with LR

getting no love from da firms

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 pm

holy crap

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:40 pm

dreakol wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Any other T1 people with decent grades here? Need to know who my allies are...

define decent, brother? top 20 percent here with LR

getting no love from da firms

If you're getting nothing I don't stand a chance lol (top 1/3)

I didn't realize everyone was mass-mailing so soon. I was planning on starting next week when competitions were over

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:49 pm

shock259 wrote:Can you share your secrets on how you compiled your data for 450 firms and sent out your emails? Did your lists come from Resume Launchpad? Did you just look at each firm's website for any oddities? Did you mail merge the cover letters into PDFs?

Thanks

NALP / Resume Launchpad (for research) / Google, whatever I could find. Mainly NALP and RL, although those "Best Firms In...." lists for states can be handy, too.

As for keeping track, old school works best for me. I have a folder on my Dropbox labeled "Job Search", and I have subfolders for each state, and I just put a cover letter for each firm with the firm name in the document title. As I would apply, I would fill in the blanks on the cover letter and then merge it, my resume, transcript, and writing sample (if requested) into one PDF and mail that out. Then move the PDF file into another subfolder for places I already applied to. That way I could watch the pile get smaller. I'm sure there are less time-consuming ways to do it, but it worked for me. It was easy to keep track of which firm's cover letter I was working on, and not accidentally apply twice to the same firm. I would email each cover letter as I finished, too, so I didn't get mixed up.

And yes, I looked at each firm's website, especially the smaller firms, to see if there was anything that stood out that I could talk about. If the firm is obviously proud of their work in data security or something, see if you can play that up. My cover letter was pretty stock, but I would add things here and there.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 pm

Did you get any screeners in the non-TX markets?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:09 pm

tedalbany wrote:

Yes.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
tedalbany wrote:

Yes.

What's the best way to convey that "I don't really have ties but I honestly would love to work in ___ and won't jump ship after a couple years"? Right now I'm just stating some random things I like about the city (and particular to that city so they don't think it's a complete stock letter)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 pm

It's easier for me because I'm married, so I make sure to say "we" and "my wife and I" a lot. When two people are making the decision and involved, I think it seems more permanent.

I just hit it head-on. I have a few sentences about addressing my desire to relocate at the very beginning of my letter. I mention family and friends, things like that. I don't think firms want you to go into your whole life story, just make it clear that this is a thought-out decision and not a whim, and you intend to settle in the area. I also said for them to please contact me if they had further questions about my desire to be in the area, as I know it's difficult to convey in a few short sentences, but I'm happy to discuss it at length to help ease any concerns.

That seemed more than fine. I don't think it was lack of ties that held me back, it was bad grades.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Another Q for Kalvano (or anyone with relevant experience): Did you bother applying to any firms that didn't have SA/Law Student Hiring info on their webpage? I usually just delete those firms from my list since I figure they aren't really hiring/don't have an SA program. If you did, do you know if you heard back from them?

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm

kalvano wrote:It's easier for me because I'm married, so I make sure to say "we" and "my wife and I" a lot. When two people are making the decision and involved, I think it seems more permanent.

I just hit it head-on. I have a few sentences about addressing my desire to relocate at the very beginning of my letter. I mention family and friends, things like that. I don't think firms want you to go into your whole life story, just make it clear that this is a thought-out decision and not a whim, and you intend to settle in the area. I also said for them to please contact me if they had further questions about my desire to be in the area, as I know it's difficult to convey in a few short sentences, but I'm happy to discuss it at length to help ease any concerns.

That seemed more than fine. I don't think it was lack of ties that held me back, it was bad grades.

and TYFT ... very nicely worded.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:48 pm

I'm looking for a couple people to join a mail merge spreadsheet swap.

My idea is this:

We all enter data in a mail merge ready excel spreadsheet for a good handful of firms in a market or two (say 50-100 in NE region for one person, P/NW for another, Texas, etc) then combine the data into one spreadsheet and distribute it to everyone involved.

Just an thought, if anyone is interested reply here or PM me. We can even make it a google spreadsheet for easier collaboration.

Edit: Also, in case you're thinking "lol i dont wanna help the competition", it'll only be like 5 people involved tops, it won't pose any significant threat.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:41 pm

tedalbany wrote:Another Q for Kalvano (or anyone with relevant experience): Did you bother applying to any firms that didn't have SA/Law Student Hiring info on their webpage? I usually just delete those firms from my list since I figure they aren't really hiring/don't have an SA program. If you did, do you know if you heard back from them?

No. Do not ignore them. My summer firm did not list anything on their website. Email a named partner in the firm, preferably someone on the younger side, and ask if they have a summer program. The worst that happens is they ignore you / say no. But don't miss a chance for them to say yes.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 am

So if a firm just says to contact someone and just says to send your resume, do you guys also attach a cover letter or just write a short note in the body of the e-mail?

cojsterling

Postby cojsterling » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Question do you think saying I'll be in town till the 12th gives them enough time or should I just leave that off and say at your convenience?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:15 pm

cojsterling wrote:Question do you think saying I'll be in town till the 12th gives them enough time or should I just leave that off and say at your convenience?

No harm in saying it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Not to be a dick, but is it a firm job that will most likely lead to an offer?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not to be a dick, but is it a firm job that will most likely lead to an offer?

Yes. I'll find out after their fall management meeting, but signs are good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:10 pm

How specific should we be in the cover letter? Should we have a template and just tweak it a little bit? Any insight is appreciate, thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”