Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Silver

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I bombed an interview. I was asked what my most recent supervisor would have said my greatest flaw was. I told her that I had never received any sort of criticism from my previous supervisor and was unsure. The attorney then asked what I would have said my greatest flaw in that job was. I talked about how rigid my schedule was and how I couldn't help cover other shifts because of class, which made me feel guilty when people were ill or had emergencies. The attorney laughed and said that wasn't a flaw because it was out of my control. Attorney then asked what my greatest character flaw in general is. All of the weaknesses I had come up with in advance in response to a possible "what's your greatest weakness" question weren't exactly character flaws. I feel like I have pretty good character. I then randomly said I really like to make everyone happy, which is difficult at times when you know that you can't give someone the answer they want. Attorney then scribbled notes furiously on my resume.

Derp. :?
"What is your biggest weakness" is the biggest TTT question ever. Though some people will ask it, so you should have a response to it.
OP here. I do have a weakness I came up with but not what one would consider a character flaw. What is a good example of an acceptable character flaw to mention?
I actually kind of feel like the "I am too awesome" kind of answers do come off as lazy and a bit generic (just my opinion, don't shoot me!). I've been turning it into a 'what I learned this summer' kind of thing... My answer actually goes something like 'I've been having to learn to evolve from the law student perspective of simply finding a legal answer and sticking to it, to using that answer to add value to the business and figure out what level of risk might be acceptable to them' (because I'm working in-house this summer). This isn't threatening to firms because they do business by finding the legal answer and avoiding all risk (so your 'weakness' is exactly the kind of risk averseness they are looking for), but you show that you are working hard to get to know your role within the place you're spending the summer and trying to evolve your skills to be an asset. That's just me, though.

Thoughts? Any other answers that you guys like? I have the most trouble with 'tell me something about you that's not on your resume' question. At my most recent interview, my waffling resulted in the bizarre note 'likes haggis' being written on my resume for that one...

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:33 pm

I really have no idea what I would even say to that type of question. "I have ... interests ... outside of my resume?!"

/been prepping for interviews for too long

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I'd also probably talk about liking weird food or something. I don't know. I feel so boring.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 pm

ilovesf wrote:I'd also probably talk about liking weird food or something. I don't know. I feel so boring.
I kind of think it's hideously unfair for them to expect us to distill the important things plus interests into a one page life summary, only for them to say, "screw this thing you just gave me that tells me everything I need to know about you, who are you?".... I'm that person on that paper you're holding, sir.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 pm

OCI/interviews are permeating even my dreams...the last three nights I've had dreams about callbacks. At work, I constantly check TLS and my phone. I think my greatest fear is not getting an offer in the market I want most...I can't wait for this process to be over!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm

letsdoit wrote:OCI/interviews are permeating even my dreams...the last three nights I've had dreams about callbacks. At work, I constantly check TLS and my phone. I think my greatest fear is not getting an offer in the market I want most...I can't wait for this process to be over!
I'm getting obsessive with mass mailing ... I've gotten out 80 apps so far and I'm dying to hit 1k. I keep compiling firm data and crap during work and I feel guilty about it but I can't help it. I don't want to strike out.

teabreeze

New

Post by teabreeze » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
letsdoit wrote:OCI/interviews are permeating even my dreams...the last three nights I've had dreams about callbacks. At work, I constantly check TLS and my phone. I think my greatest fear is not getting an offer in the market I want most...I can't wait for this process to be over!
I'm getting obsessive with mass mailing ... I've gotten out 80 apps so far and I'm dying to hit 1k. I keep compiling firm data and crap during work and I feel guilty about it but I can't help it. I don't want to strike out.
That is a lot of emails. Have you heard positive news from any?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:55 pm

teabreeze wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That is a lot of emails. Have you heard positive news from any?
50 of them went out yesterday so understandably no word yet. Lot's of "we'll get in touch in August/Sept", one ding, and one interview in my secondary

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I finished at around 90, and am satisfied..it's the waiting that's killing me. 3 cb invites from in my home market only adds to the pressure!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I bombed an interview. I was asked what my most recent supervisor would have said my greatest flaw was. I told her that I had never received any sort of criticism from my previous supervisor and was unsure. The attorney then asked what I would have said my greatest flaw in that job was. I talked about how rigid my schedule was and how I couldn't help cover other shifts because of class, which made me feel guilty when people were ill or had emergencies. The attorney laughed and said that wasn't a flaw because it was out of my control. Attorney then asked what my greatest character flaw in general is. All of the weaknesses I had come up with in advance in response to a possible "what's your greatest weakness" question weren't exactly character flaws. I feel like I have pretty good character. I then randomly said I really like to make everyone happy, which is difficult at times when you know that you can't give someone the answer they want. Attorney then scribbled notes furiously on my resume.

Derp. :?
"What is your biggest weakness" is the biggest TTT question ever. Though some people will ask it, so you should have a response to it.
OP here. I do have a weakness I came up with but not what one would consider a character flaw. What is a good example of an acceptable character flaw to mention?
I actually kind of feel like the "I am too awesome" kind of answers do come off as lazy and a bit generic (just my opinion, don't shoot me!). I've been turning it into a 'what I learned this summer' kind of thing... My answer actually goes something like 'I've been having to learn to evolve from the law student perspective of simply finding a legal answer and sticking to it, to using that answer to add value to the business and figure out what level of risk might be acceptable to them' (because I'm working in-house this summer). This isn't threatening to firms because they do business by finding the legal answer and avoiding all risk (so your 'weakness' is exactly the kind of risk averseness they are looking for), but you show that you are working hard to get to know your role within the place you're spending the summer and trying to evolve your skills to be an asset. That's just me, though.

Thoughts? Any other answers that you guys like? I have the most trouble with 'tell me something about you that's not on your resume' question. At my most recent interview, my waffling resulted in the bizarre note 'likes haggis' being written on my resume for that one...
My weakness is that I've had trouble focusing in on one specific career goal because I'm interested in a lot of areas. Then I say that's one reason I like law, because it changes often and keeps challenging me in new ways. I don't know if that is super lame, but it's actually true.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:26 pm

piccolittle wrote: My answer actually goes something like 'I've been having to learn to evolve from the law student perspective of simply finding a legal answer and sticking to it, to using that answer to add value to the business and figure out what level of risk might be acceptable to them' (because I'm working in-house this summer). This isn't threatening to firms because they do business by finding the legal answer and avoiding all risk (so your 'weakness' is exactly the kind of risk averseness they are looking for), but you show that you are working hard to get to know your role within the place you're spending the summer and trying to evolve your skills to be an asset. That's just me, though.
TITCR. As someone interested in litigation working in-house, my first reaction to everything was ZOMFG THIS EXPOSES US TO RISK! NEVER INDEMNIFY! NEVER WARRANTY!

Suffice it to say this didn't fly...i definitely had to learn to find that sweet spot of just enough but not too much risk because every other company we K with has in-house counsel doing the same thing. My supervisor even told me this is often a problem with young attorneys...they want to eliminate risk, when it can just be reasonably minimized. I think this is a great answer.

wormhole

New

Post by wormhole » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:59 pm

How do you guys usually treat informational interviews? Like a conversation focused on learning more about the interviewer's work and advice in general (not practice area-specific)? Or treat it like a real interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

partyrock

New

Post by partyrock » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 am

how do you deal with getting an interview as an alternate? Do the interviewers know that you got an interview as an alternate? Is there anything that you have to say, or do, to tell them that you are REALLY interested?

it just seems like an especially awkward situation. but i guess thats OCI.

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:30 am

Is it okay to mass mail on the weekend (aka saturday and sunday)? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, just a little worried an email could get lost though if the recruiting coordinator has gotten a lot of emails.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am

chitown2626 wrote:Is it okay to mass mail on the weekend (aka saturday and sunday)? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, just a little worried an email could get lost though if the recruiting coordinator has gotten a lot of emails.
I emailed a few times on a weekend and those I didn't get a response to. I think they get pretty flooded. I tried never to email Friday-Sunday.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:43 am

chitown2626 wrote:Is it okay to mass mail on the weekend (aka saturday and sunday)? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, just a little worried an email could get lost though if the recruiting coordinator has gotten a lot of emails.
yeah, man. i did most of my mailing on the weekend and firms are getting back to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:33 pm

e-mail ding from Jenner & Block DC. meh.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

All the school competitions are over on Monday and I'll be completely focused on dat jerb hunt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:e-mail ding from Jenner & Block DC. meh.
Sorry, anon! Could you share stats? I just applied to J&B DC this morning, wondering if I should give it up as a lost cause....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:e-mail ding from Jenner & Block DC. meh.
Sorry, anon! Could you share stats? I just applied to J&B DC this morning, wondering if I should give it up as a lost cause....
top 20%, LR at vandy/texas

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Any other T1 people with decent grades here? Need to know who my allies are...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Any other T1 people with decent grades here? Need to know who my allies are...
Non t-14 unite

jess

Post by jess » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Any other T1 people with decent grades here? Need to know who my allies are...
Not sure how you define decent grades, but I am another Non-T14. Rejections have been trickling in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”