Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:56 am

Just got a V40 NYC screener for next week - emailed materials last Friday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:59 am

Just to clarify: are most of you emailing the firm's recruiting contact rather than snail mail? I had been planning to smail mail everything, but was wondering if email is now the standard practice for this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:01 am

lawyergirl47 wrote:
tedalbany wrote: recruiting contact. I'd always double check the firm's site, it'll almost always tell you who to address


Thanks, tedalbany. This whole process is making me a little neurotic...


Damn there were some people saying the app should be emailed to recruiting contact but the cover letter inside should be addressed to the hiring partner. I did that for my first 30 apps which happened to be my targets. Hope I didn't screw myself over.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just to clarify: are most of you emailing the firm's recruiting contact rather than snail mail? I had been planning to smail mail everything, but was wondering if email is now the standard practice for this.



Way to protect your identity there.

This has been asked 100 times in the past two weeks. Why would you even think about using regular mail? It's tedious and expensive and will probably piss off recruiters.

Email. Everything. It's 2012.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:
tedalbany wrote: recruiting contact. I'd always double check the firm's site, it'll almost always tell you who to address


Thanks, tedalbany. This whole process is making me a little neurotic...


Damn there were some people saying the app should be emailed to recruiting contact but the cover letter inside should be addressed to the hiring partner. I did that for my first 30 apps which happened to be my targets. Hope I didn't screw myself over.



It really doesn't matter. As long as you don't address it to someone in another firm, you'll be fine.

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby tedalbany » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 am

Can someone PM me this NY V40 that's doing interviews? I probably already bid on them, but just want to double check

adammac17
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby adammac17 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 am

So I'm sending apps into every big/mid size firm in my target market but I realize I'm right on the bubble/slightly outside where my school places people into big law. Any thoughts on when I should start lowering my sights to smaller firms?

Im thinking I can wait until after I find out if OCI/this round of mass mailing works out before moving down to like the Chicago 4 or more list right? Best to put all my effort into big firms initially?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:26 am

adammac17 wrote:So I'm sending apps into every big/mid size firm in my target market but I realize I'm right on the bubble/slightly outside where my school places people into big law. Any thoughts on when I should start lowering my sights to smaller firms?

Im thinking I can wait until after I find out if OCI/this round of mass mailing works out before moving down to like the Chicago 4 or more list right? Best to put all my effort into big firms initially?



This is the time for big firms and largish / medium firms to do most of their recruiting. So yes, focus on them, then move on to smaller firms. Most smaller firms won't start until later in the fall or spring.

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby tedalbany » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:42 am

Kalvano: Are there any firms in TX I could even bother with? No real ties (friends live there, family used to live there, might still be someone there), good grades at a major T30... Austin seems like a great place to work (though I've picked up that Austin is pretty much impossible to crack), and I have friends in San Antonio (though that seems even more insular).

Is it even worth mailing some of the larger firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:50 am

I got an interview offer from a firm asking for my availability. I sent them my schedule 3 days ago and haven't heard back. How long until a followup?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11723
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 am

tedalbany wrote:Kalvano: Are there any firms in TX I could even bother with? No real ties (friends live there, family used to live there, might still be someone there), good grades at a major T30... Austin seems like a great place to work (though I've picked up that Austin is pretty much impossible to crack), and I have friends in San Antonio (though that seems even more insular).

Is it even worth mailing some of the larger firms?


Sure. Always worth a shot. It doesn't cost you anything except a bit of time, and the potential rewards are great.

And while ties matter, I think they are overblown somewhat on here.

4444
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby 4444 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:10 pm

So my school has a New York edition of the OCI, being held in New York on one day - and about 40+ firms are on the list. At most, you can only have 10 interviews on this day.

In the chance that more than 10 firms want to interview someone, what's the plan? Mass mail them all now, and try to set up an interview outside of the OCI event? Or e-mail them after, saying because of the schedule and not being able to meet, can we meet at a different time?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview offer from a firm asking for my availability. I sent them my schedule 3 days ago and haven't heard back. How long until a followup?


I'd PM you but your anonymous. The exact same thing has happened to me. V40 firm with a big class size?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 pm

A12345 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:10 more firms and I think I have mailed almost every firm in the DFW/Houston area with a smattering of Austin (haha, like that'll happen).

What do I do then?



What have you been using to find firms? I've been using texaslawyer's top 100 list. I figure it is useful because it goes by strictly number of attorneys in Texas, which I figure is useful for finding larger summer classes.


I've been using resume launchpad primarily (just to research). It's out of date for some firms, but I found some great ones I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I'll have to check out that texas lawyer list though!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:18 pm

4444 wrote:So my school has a New York edition of the OCI, being held in New York on one day - and about 40+ firms are on the list. At most, you can only have 10 interviews on this day.

In the chance that more than 10 firms want to interview someone, what's the plan? Mass mail them all now, and try to set up an interview outside of the OCI event? Or e-mail them after, saying because of the schedule and not being able to meet, can we meet at a different time?


I would do the latter. Wait until you get selected and then mail everyone else (those who selected you and those who didn't as well). I think I'm at the same job fair, and we get out preselects Aug 1, which leads plenty of time to follow up. It appears most NYC firms aren't really moving much yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
4444 wrote:So my school has a New York edition of the OCI, being held in New York on one day - and about 40+ firms are on the list. At most, you can only have 10 interviews on this day.

In the chance that more than 10 firms want to interview someone, what's the plan? Mass mail them all now, and try to set up an interview outside of the OCI event? Or e-mail them after, saying because of the schedule and not being able to meet, can we meet at a different time?


I would do the latter. Wait until you get selected and then mail everyone else (those who selected you and those who didn't as well). I think I'm at the same job fair, and we get out preselects Aug 1, which leads plenty of time to follow up. It appears most NYC firms aren't really moving much yet


just got a callback from a midwest market (not chicago) firm that pays slightly above market. pumped!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview offer from a firm asking for my availability. I sent them my schedule 3 days ago and haven't heard back. How long until a followup?


I'd PM you but your anonymous. The exact same thing has happened to me. V40 firm with a big class size?


Not a V40. Right outside of NLJ250. I'm thinking waiting a few more days before following up...thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:01 pm

is it ok to mail firms that are coming to OCI but I'm not bidding on?

User avatar
lawyergirl47
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby lawyergirl47 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:10 pm

This is a stupid question, but for mass mailing NY, do I need to include any reason for wanting to be there? It is my understanding that the firms simply assume that we all want to end up in NY, but I just want to be sure...

thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:15 pm

I think I bombed an interview. I was asked what my most recent supervisor would have said my greatest flaw was. I told her that I had never received any sort of criticism from my previous supervisor and was unsure. The attorney then asked what I would have said my greatest flaw in that job was. I talked about how rigid my schedule was and how I couldn't help cover other shifts because of class, which made me feel guilty when people were ill or had emergencies. The attorney laughed and said that wasn't a flaw because it was out of my control. Attorney then asked what my greatest character flaw in general is. All of the weaknesses I had come up with in advance in response to a possible "what's your greatest weakness" question weren't exactly character flaws. I feel like I have pretty good character. I then randomly said I really like to make everyone happy, which is difficult at times when you know that you can't give someone the answer they want. Attorney then scribbled notes furiously on my resume.

Derp. :?

letsdoit
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby letsdoit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I bombed an interview. I was asked what my most recent supervisor would have said my greatest flaw was. I told her that I had never received any sort of criticism from my previous supervisor and was unsure. The attorney then asked what I would have said my greatest flaw in that job was. I talked about how rigid my schedule was and how I couldn't help cover other shifts because of class, which made me feel guilty when people were ill or had emergencies. The attorney laughed and said that wasn't a flaw because it was out of my control. Attorney then asked what my greatest character flaw in general is. All of the weaknesses I had come up with in advance in response to a possible "what's your greatest weakness" question weren't exactly character flaws. I feel like I have pretty good character. I then randomly said I really like to make everyone happy, which is difficult at times when you know that you can't give someone the answer they want. Attorney then scribbled notes furiously on my resume.

Derp. :?


This doesn't sound that bad...you probably did fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I bombed an interview. I was asked what my most recent supervisor would have said my greatest flaw was. I told her that I had never received any sort of criticism from my previous supervisor and was unsure. The attorney then asked what I would have said my greatest flaw in that job was. I talked about how rigid my schedule was and how I couldn't help cover other shifts because of class, which made me feel guilty when people were ill or had emergencies. The attorney laughed and said that wasn't a flaw because it was out of my control. Attorney then asked what my greatest character flaw in general is. All of the weaknesses I had come up with in advance in response to a possible "what's your greatest weakness" question weren't exactly character flaws. I feel like I have pretty good character. I then randomly said I really like to make everyone happy, which is difficult at times when you know that you can't give someone the answer they want. Attorney then scribbled notes furiously on my resume.

Derp. :?


"What is your biggest weakness" is the biggest TTT question ever. Though some people will ask it, so you should have a response to it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think I bombed an interview. I was asked what my most recent supervisor would have said my greatest flaw was. I told her that I had never received any sort of criticism from my previous supervisor and was unsure. The attorney then asked what I would have said my greatest flaw in that job was. I talked about how rigid my schedule was and how I couldn't help cover other shifts because of class, which made me feel guilty when people were ill or had emergencies. The attorney laughed and said that wasn't a flaw because it was out of my control. Attorney then asked what my greatest character flaw in general is. All of the weaknesses I had come up with in advance in response to a possible "what's your greatest weakness" question weren't exactly character flaws. I feel like I have pretty good character. I then randomly said I really like to make everyone happy, which is difficult at times when you know that you can't give someone the answer they want. Attorney then scribbled notes furiously on my resume.

Derp. :?


"What is your biggest weakness" is the biggest TTT question ever. Though some people will ask it, so you should have a response to it.


OP here. I do have a weakness I came up with but not what one would consider a character flaw. What is a good example of an acceptable character flaw to mention?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:22 pm

biggest weakness questions are fucking lazy, so I just give a lazy answer and say "i try too hard"

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:59 pm

"I care too much"
"I work too hard"

etc

Also, my screener went well I thought. Sadly no callback decisions until after OCI. Early September. Booo.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.