Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
barestin

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby barestin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:49 pm

In cover letters to firms that did not pre-select me for interviews at my school's OCI, do I need to mention that I was not pre-selected for an OCI? Or should I not mention OCI at all? Nothing has changed since OCI bidding, but cover letters weren't required for the bids at the firms in question.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:In cover letters to firms that did not pre-select me for interviews at my school's OCI, do I need to mention that I was not pre-selected for an OCI? Or should I not mention OCI at all? Nothing has changed since OCI bidding, but cover letters weren't required for the bids at the firms in question.

Don't mention.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 pm

This may be a trade secret kind of thing, but is there a list somewhere of firms with NYC offices that have a summer associate program?

My NALP search is only picking up about 100 firms in NYC. I think it is only pulling firms based in NYC. But I want all of the firms with a branch office in NYC and an SA program.

I guess I'll have to go down the vault list? Just seems like somebody must have done this before. Don't want to reinvent the wheel (if I don't have to...).

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:11 pm

shock259 wrote:This may be a trade secret kind of thing, but is there a list somewhere of firms with NYC offices that have a summer associate program?

My NALP search is only picking up about 100 firms in NYC. I think it is only pulling firms based in NYC. But I want all of the firms with a branch office in NYC and an SA program.

I guess I'll have to go down the vault list? Just seems like somebody must have done this before. Don't want to reinvent the wheel (if I don't have to...).

resume launchpad

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Someone distract me! I'm feeling super nervous about my interview last week and keep checking my phone. Each hour makes me more convinced I'm waiting for a sad letter instead of a happy phone call.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm

letsdoit wrote:
shock259 wrote:This may be a trade secret kind of thing, but is there a list somewhere of firms with NYC offices that have a summer associate program?

resume launchpad

excellent site but be careful, some of the firms they have listed do not exist anymore

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 pm

dreakol wrote:
letsdoit wrote:

resume launchpad

excellent site but be careful, some of the firms they have listed do not exist anymore

is it worth it? I checked it out and at least for gmail it shows that the email was sent using a service (on the from line it says from XXX@gmail.com via piqjrpejrj@host.com

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 pm

I thought it was really useful for finding more firms in my target market. I found about 20 I would've missed. I wouldn't risk it for actually sending out stuff though and I'm checking every firm's website before I mail them.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 pm

You can use it solely for research and not for actually sending emails.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Are there any good mass mailing sites/programs that include e-mail addresses of recruiters and not just mailing addresses? It seems like resumelaunchpad won't let me view the complete e-mail addresses, and NALP doesn't include them in the mail merge feature.

teabreeze

Postby teabreeze » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 am

Was just browsing through old mass mail threads and a lot of people's interview requests seem to come from medium-sized firms in their home market.

What exactly is a medium-sized firm in terms of the # of attorneys? What about for a small-sized firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:17 pm

snail mail ding from Holland & Knight DC about a week after e-mailing materials.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:24 pm

I submitted my application to a certain V10 firm, and the recruiter wrote me back and asked me to give my application materials to someone from the firm when they come to my school's OCI.

I assume that's just a nice way of saying no.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 pm

piccolittle wrote:Someone distract me! I'm feeling super nervous about my interview last week and keep checking my phone. Each hour makes me more convinced I'm waiting for a sad letter instead of a happy phone call.

Had my first interview yesterday. This will be me for the foreseeable future.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm

First bite. Got a phone screener (only sent out like 15 emails yesterday). Excited and scared shitless.

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

teabreeze

Postby teabreeze » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:59 pm

shock259 wrote:First bite. Got a phone screener (only sent out like 15 emails yesterday). Excited and scared shitless.

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

congrats!!! stats? mind letting us know the market?

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:02 pm

shock259 wrote:First bite. Got a phone screener (only sent out like 15 emails yesterday). Excited and scared shitless.

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

congrats! also interested in the market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:08 pm

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Are phone screeners common?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Are phone screeners common?

Yes, if you're not in the market (from what I've seen). Everything goes well, that's when they'll invest in flying you out for a callback.

And shock, CONGRATS! Things will be rolling in from now on :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:38 pm

What are you guys doing with firms that multiple offices? For instance a firm has an office in Denver and Chicago. I have ties to both and would like to be in either city. I am in Chicago right now and will be in Denver in mid-August.

Do I simply say "I am writing for an SA in Chicago and Denver. I am in Chicago currently and will be in Denver on XYZ date. I would welcome the opportunity to interview with you in either city. I am pursuing employment in both cities after graduation... etc."?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are you guys doing with firms that multiple offices? For instance a firm has an office in Denver and Chicago. I have ties to both and would like to be in either city. I am in Chicago right now and will be in Denver in mid-August.

Do I simply say "I am writing for an SA in Chicago and Denver. I am in Chicago currently and will be in Denver on XYZ date. I would welcome the opportunity to interview with you in either city. I am pursuing employment in both cities after graduation... etc."?

I just picked one. Chi and Denver are really different. You might look wishy washy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Yea that's what I was afraid of. It really sucks though because I am not at all tied to any location. Denver or Chicago would be great for me.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Argh. Heart stopped when I saw a missed call + voice mail from the area code where I had my interview. Was another firm confirming my interview tomorrow. Never felt so many conflicted feelings about one phone notification....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Got a screener with a large V40 firm today.

Return to “Legal Employment”