Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cade McNown

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:22 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I only want to work in one particular market (it's major and it also happens to be the only place I have any ties to). Given that my OCI is a lottery and all the major firms in that market will be there, should I wait until I know which places I'm interviewing with/have picked up any extra interviews at add/drop to mass-mail the firms I was unable to get interviews with? My only problem with that is I'm worried it may be too late in time (early August) at that point.

Are you going to be in that market any time soon? I would only mass mail if you are going to be in that market before OCI and OCI does not happen in that market - the worst that can happen is they tell you to apply at OCI, and the best is that you get an interview. Although, it wouldn't be too late to mass mail at that point, or chat up the recruitment people at the hospitality suites... since it's only the screening stage for most people.

Anyone disagree?

Can we revisit this? Mass mail only if I know I'll be there on certain dates??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 pm

are you guys emailing recruiters or using the online system?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I only want to work in one particular market (it's major and it also happens to be the only place I have any ties to). Given that my OCI is a lottery and all the major firms in that market will be there, should I wait until I know which places I'm interviewing with/have picked up any extra interviews at add/drop to mass-mail the firms I was unable to get interviews with? My only problem with that is I'm worried it may be too late in time (early August) at that point.

Are you going to be in that market any time soon? I would only mass mail if you are going to be in that market before OCI and OCI does not happen in that market - the worst that can happen is they tell you to apply at OCI, and the best is that you get an interview. Although, it wouldn't be too late to mass mail at that point, or chat up the recruitment people at the hospitality suites... since it's only the screening stage for most people.

Anyone disagree?

Can we revisit this? Mass mail only if I know I'll be there on certain dates??

What? Fuck no of course you mail, though yes, it's better if you can say you'll be there on certain dates.

DevilDaze

Postby DevilDaze » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Is it better to target mail a firm or submit your materials through a resume collect if you have ties to the area?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:What? Fuck no of course you mail, though yes, it's better if you can say you'll be there on certain dates.

Ok so what's the end game if you're not gonna be in town for a screener interview?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What? Fuck no of course you mail, though yes, it's better if you can say you'll be there on certain dates.

Ok so what's the end game if you're not gonna be in town for a screener interview?

kayak.com

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

kayak.com

lol, ok, ty fatduck.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 pm

ilovesf wrote:On another note, I can't figure out if someone is male or female by the name. A google search just showed up that in one nationality it is a male name, and in another it is a female name, so that was not helpful. There are no google pictures or anything of this person. What would you guys do about the salutation in this case?
edit: nvm, solved it

I ran into this problem. I ended up just putting "Dear Hiring Committee" or whatever instead of the usual "Dear Ms. Brown"

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 am

Can I PM someone my cover letter for some feedback? OCS told me it was fine but I don't trust them.

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 am

shock259 wrote:Can I PM someone my cover letter for some feedback? OCS told me it was fine but I don't trust them.

sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 am

Just got a response directing me to apply through their website. This was 1 of 20 apps I sent out last week by just using the hiring contact info on NALP. Should I check all the firms sites now and reapply if they have online applications?

Edit: Also, how screwed am I for failing to look up and follow directions?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:17 am

Cade McNown wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

kayak.com

lol, ok, ty fatduck.

Maybe wait for callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I have 2 interviews (day long) at my home market in a week. They are both with 4 attorneys (mix of partners & associates). I was wondering if this put me at a disadvantage since OCI for most schools is not for a few weeks after this.

No alumni are at either firm and I am not from a target school. I am around median (top 25 program).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have 2 interviews (day long) at my home market in a week. They are both with 4 attorneys (mix of partners & associates). I was wondering if this put me at a disadvantage since OCI for most schools is not for a few weeks after this.

No alumni are at either firm and I am not from a target school. I am around median (top 25 program).

Does it matter?

Just go in there and do a good job. This would be the case if you were at a "disadvantage" or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have 2 interviews (day long) at my home market in a week. They are both with 4 attorneys (mix of partners & associates). I was wondering if this put me at a disadvantage since OCI for most schools is not for a few weeks after this.

Does it matter?

Just go in there and do a good job. This would be the case if you were at a "disadvantage" or not.

From a practical standpoint, you are right. It doesn't matter. Just more of a curiosity / expectation setting type of question.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Has anyone heard back from any NYC firms yet? Seems like by this time last year, several people had already gone on screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Has anyone heard from any of the silicon valley tech heavyweights (Cooley, wsgr, fenwick, etc)? I hear these are typically slower to respond.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from any NYC firms yet? Seems like by this time last year, several people had already gone on screeners.

Email ding from a NY V25(ish). Applied a week ago. Above median, DCNG.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 pm

mass mailed a bunch of firms this weekend and the dings have already started rolling in

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:30 pm

dreakol wrote:mass mailed a bunch of firms this weekend and the dings have already started rolling in

which market(s)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from any of the silicon valley tech heavyweights (Cooley, wsgr, fenwick, etc)? I hear these are typically slower to respond.

I got a "apply at OCI" from WSGR. Nothing from the others except preselect at a job fair out here from Cooley.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 pm

letsdoit wrote:
dreakol wrote:mass mailed a bunch of firms this weekend and the dings have already started rolling in

which market(s)?

SF and LA

target

Postby target » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:52 pm

dreakol wrote:
letsdoit wrote:

which market(s)?

SF and LA Cali

FTFM :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Applied to Freshfields yesterday. Email ding today. Talk about a quick turn around time! lol. T2 Top 20% LR.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:15 pm

You'll get a bunch of dings, even if you're a competitive applicant generally. Welcome to the 2L jerb search.

Return to “Legal Employment”