Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dreakol

Silver

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Post by dreakol » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Gorki wrote:Snail mail ding from a local firm I solicited an interest in clerking at. Was rejected for the "fulltime Associate Attorney position." 0.o
i got an email ding from a smallish firm i applied to that told me how great of a student i was, what impressive credentials i had, etc etc

the best part was i only sent them an email asking if the firm was taking on summers. they never saw my resume/transcript/writing sample. i laughed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Email ding from SNR Denton's LA office.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:39 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
JenDarby wrote:This got a bit buried, but I think it would be nice to try and collectively post dings here for convenience:

OCI E-mail/Snail Mail Rejections by Firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Curious, what percentage of recruiters at least send a confirmation email when sending CLs and resumes? A little insulting to spend 30-40 minutes tailoring a CL only for the recruiters to not even send a quick confirmation that they received your email.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious, what percentage of recruiters at least send a confirmation email when sending CLs and resumes? A little insulting to spend 30-40 minutes tailoring a CL only for the recruiters to not even send a quick confirmation that they received your email.
It takes time, but around 50% have responded to me. Sometimes it can take a few weeks though, and be a snail mail ding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Mass mailer -> CB at office of a law firm (10-15 attorneys) in the same middle-class suburb that I am living in (I think that tie in my CL may have led to this, as nowhere on their site was there a stated opening for a student)...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:24 pm

In DC for 3 screeners (2 small NLJ 250 offices, 1 V100). OCI hasn't gone well, so I'm hoping this goes better.

rockthered86

New

Post by rockthered86 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Should I send a thank you note after a non-oci screener? I haven't sent them for any of my oci interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Snail Mail ding from Otterbourg :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Snail mail dings from Hahn & Hessen and Day Pitney today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Jessuf wrote:So I have ties to Florida. I already did mass mail for big, mid, small law firms there. I received some screeners and CBs.

I also mass mailed big and mid law firms in NYC and DC. So far, zero bites through mass mail in those two cities.

At this point, I did 3 CBs back in July and have 2 coming up. Still have not heard back from the 3 CB firms, so I'm assuming ding.

So um, what should my next step be? My only ties are to Florida. I have no idea where to mass mail next or if I'm just supposed to sit and wait.
Let me give you an unsolicited piece of advice: Florida is a total bloodbath everywhere. Lots of no-offered SAs in already small SA classes. The market went all-in on real estate and there isn't much else to fall back on. I summered in FL and got no-offered; I know other cool bros in FL with SAs who got no-offered for shitty reasons clearly meant to cover the fact that the firm was financially struggling.

Don't ask me which firm because my statement applies to essentially every firm in FL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In DC for 3 screeners (2 small NLJ 250 offices, 1 V100). OCI hasn't gone well, so I'm hoping this goes better.
Mind sharing which firms? I've had no luck with DC so far. I have gotten screeners at MoFo (NY) and Goodwin Procter (NY) though.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Got my first e-mail ding from a NY firm. I think now that they're getting close to being done with OCI, more will start rolling in. I'm not even upset, I appreciate the recognition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In DC for 3 screeners (2 small NLJ 250 offices, 1 V100). OCI hasn't gone well, so I'm hoping this goes better.
Mind sharing which firms? I've had no luck with DC so far. I have gotten screeners at MoFo (NY) and Goodwin Procter (NY) though.
would prefer not to share-pretty sure not many people had screeners at these places (from mass-mailing) due to the size of the offices. already dinged from one lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Hey guys. Quick question: Last week I mass-mailed a V20 because it doesn't recruit at my school and I got a callback interview scheduled, essentially skipping the screener. Anyone have any experience or idea whether a SA offer is more or less likely in these situations? I'm in a secondary market with the strongest ties to the area, like school, home, etc. Thanks in advance.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Jessuf wrote: Still have not heard back from the 3 CB firms, so I'm assuming ding.
No. Florida firms are notoriously slow. Most of my friends with Florida market CBs under their belts haven't heard back yet. And I know others who haven't even had their CBs yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 am

Just finished completely striking out from my couple of CBs that came from OCI. Is it too late to mass mail, if not, who is still worth targeting aka who hasn't already filled their summer class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Wondering if this is just me, but sometimes on firms online application systems, the preview of my documents show up in webdings/symbols. It does it whether it's pdf or doc, dox, etc. Does the firm have some system that they can see it even if mine are messed up?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

stewie27 wrote:Wondering if this is just me, but sometimes on firms online application systems, the preview of my documents show up in webdings/symbols. It does it whether it's pdf or doc, dox, etc. Does the firm have some system that they can see it even if mine are messed up?
Change the font/character sets used to make your resume. Some fonts generate really weird things when converted.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 pm

stewie27 wrote:Wondering if this is just me, but sometimes on firms online application systems, the preview of my documents show up in webdings/symbols. It does it whether it's pdf or doc, dox, etc. Does the firm have some system that they can see it even if mine are messed up?
They don't have such a system. I'm sure they just think "I can't read this" and click the reject button until they find one they can easily read.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished completely striking out from my couple of CBs that came from OCI. Is it too late to mass mail, if not, who is still worth targeting aka who hasn't already filled their summer class?
Bump. Along the same lines, can anyone speak to whether September, post-OCI mass mailing is ever successful? Did a couple of CBs, still waiting on responses. I've been mass mailing since late July/early Aug, but just wondering...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Finally have my first callback (came via mass mail and not OCI).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Emailed an app into Bracewell & Giuliani on Aug 12. Got a call for an interview at the firm yesterday. I am meeting with a partner and an associate for total of ~1 hour. Is this somewhere in between a screener and a callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Emailed an app into Bracewell & Giuliani on Aug 12. Got a call for an interview at the firm yesterday. I am meeting with a partner and an associate for total of ~1 hour. Is this somewhere in between a screener and a callback?
The one person I know who had multiple interviews of this nature from mass mailing ended up with multiple CBs from these. I would probably still classify these as screeners, but they're definitely a step up from 20 min back to back EIW slots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:10 am

Bracewell has typically done a post-job fair dinner thing with a few select interviewees. I think they just like to really get to know the candidates. Also, any "screeners" I've gotten via mass mail have included at least two people. CB afterwards was normal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”