Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
letsdoit

Bronze

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Post by letsdoit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a lunch cb(?) (got it from mailing, it's with several hiring attorneys) ... but the recruiting contact didn't give me a time, and I asked but didn't receive an answer. Should I just assume it's at noon and show up then?
you should call and ask.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm

piccolittle wrote:So I had a screener yesterday morning with a firm I really like, and I thought it went really well. I didn't send a thank-you email because I kind of assumed I would be hearing back from the recruiter that day or this morning, and I was kind of remembering TLS advice that thank-yous are not needed/wanted for screeners. However, now it's been like 30 hours, and I haven't heard anything. Is it too late to send a thank you to my interviewer? :/ What about to the recruiter, asking about next steps (is it too early for that or too late)?
I wouldn't send TYs for OCI screeners, but do when the screener is done through mass-mailing or individual networking. And no, I think anytime within 48 hours should be alright-definitely follow up with the recruiter asking about next steps at the very least so you can see if they have a timeframe for you. But make that secondary to the "thank you" etc.

jess

Post by jess » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 pm

OFFER!!!!!!! OH MY GOD.

padthai

Bronze

Post by padthai » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OFFER!!!!!!! OH MY GOD.
So soon? No way! Congratulations!!!

What market, stats? PM me please

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 pm

please pm me market, stats, etc...congrats!!! thats gotta feel good walking into oci!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 pm

This is me. For the curious, it's a satellite office in SV and I'm around top 1/3 CCN. That info alone probably outs me as it's still so early in the season, but whatever. I'm so happy :mrgreen:

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is me. For the curious, it's a satellite office in SV and I'm around top 1/3 CCN. That info alone probably outs me as it's still so early in the season, but whatever. I'm so happy :mrgreen:
Relevant market for me! Can you PM me more info?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Damn. Since this is my market I'm sad that offers are already going out before OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:28 am

God these online resume applications are awful. Every time I load one it totally fucks it up and I have to fix it.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 am

ilovesf wrote:God these online resume applications are awful. Every time I load one it totally fucks it up and I have to fix it.
Try a PDF

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 am

rad lulz wrote:
ilovesf wrote:God these online resume applications are awful. Every time I load one it totally fucks it up and I have to fix it.
Try a PDF
That's what I'm doing :(

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:41 am

Spent entire night making spreadsheets. Compiling contact info, app requirements, etc. Blah. Almost done, though. Hopefully I can send out ~150 emails tomorrow. Hopefully.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:42 am

shock259 wrote:Spent entire night making spreadsheets. Compiling contact info, app requirements, etc. Blah. Almost done, though. Hopefully I can send out ~150 emails tomorrow. Hopefully.
way to go dude. I'm on app #4. AW YEAH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 am

If I'm not in the country this summer, so wont be back to the home market until after OCI, is it still worth it to send out mass mails?

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I'm not in the country this summer, so wont be back to the home market until after OCI, is it still worth it to send out mass mails?
yes. many firms will set up telephone/skype screeners if they like you. or so i've heard.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:26 am

adammac17 wrote:Anybody heard any good news re interviews from Chicago yet? Ive sent off ~75 apps to firms in the past two + weeks and other than a handful of "we will get in touch if we decide to bring you in", no good news yet.
no good news on my front. dinged from latham w/o interview, a couple firms saying they aren't hiring yet and to check back in with them later this fall or next spring, and silence.

where did you find the 75 firms? outside of oci, the resume collects, nalp, and that resume thing, i've been having a hard time finding firms of 50+ people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:28 am

Sent out about 30 emails to firms in NYC last night, starting to get a stream of "We don't review applications until September but we'll keep your credentials to review then" emails back. Maybe TLS really is a little early on things...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:30 am

dreakol wrote:
adammac17 wrote:Anybody heard any good news re interviews from Chicago yet? Ive sent off ~75 apps to firms in the past two + weeks and other than a handful of "we will get in touch if we decide to bring you in", no good news yet.
no good news on my front. dinged from latham w/o interview, a couple firms saying they aren't hiring yet and to check back in with them later this fall or next spring, and silence.

where did you find the 75 firms? outside of oci, the resume collects, nalp, and that resume thing, i've been having a hard time finding firms of 50+ people.
http://www.resumelaunchpad.com

Just search for Chicago and a slew of firms come up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:38 am

10 more firms and I think I have mailed almost every firm in the DFW/Houston area with a smattering of Austin (haha, like that'll happen).

What do I do then?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am

letsdoit wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I'm not in the country this summer, so wont be back to the home market until after OCI, is it still worth it to send out mass mails?
yes. many firms will set up telephone/skype screeners if they like you. or so i've heard.
Thanks! Do you think I should be mass mailing firms that are coming to OCI as well? Seems pointless since I wont be able to meet them until after OCI anyways (and in theory, I should get a good number of them through the lottery).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 am

crossarmant wrote:Sent out about 30 emails to firms in NYC last night, starting to get a stream of "We don't review applications until September but we'll keep your credentials to review then" emails back. Maybe TLS really is a little early on things...
I've sent out about 50 NYC applications and haven't gotten a single email like that back yet. I have one straight up rejection from Freshfields and one interview with a V40, but silence from everyone else

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Sent out about 30 emails to firms in NYC last night, starting to get a stream of "We don't review applications until September but we'll keep your credentials to review then" emails back. Maybe TLS really is a little early on things...
I've sent out about 50 NYC applications and haven't gotten a single email like that back yet. I have one straight up rejection from Freshfields and one interview with a V40, but silence from everyone else
+1. Applied to 50 NYC firms and haven't gotten anything like that. Just 1 rejection and 1 interview.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1. Applied to 50 NYC firms and haven't gotten anything like that. Just 1 rejection and 1 interview.
TBF, I'm not selecting specific firms. I'm going through them alphabetically off of NALP and Resume Launchpad, so I may be hitting different firms.

A12345

Bronze

Post by A12345 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:10 more firms and I think I have mailed almost every firm in the DFW/Houston area with a smattering of Austin (haha, like that'll happen).

What do I do then?

What have you been using to find firms? I've been using texaslawyer's top 100 list. I figure it is useful because it goes by strictly number of attorneys in Texas, which I figure is useful for finding larger summer classes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”