Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Silver

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Post by piccolittle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:38 pm

target wrote:sorry for a silly question, but do you guys list journal under "Honor" or "Activities?" I currently have it under activities, but someone's recently told me to list it under honor. Now, I am not sure what is the proper way to display it.

Edit for grammar
Mine's under Activities...

I mean, it's an activity, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Got my first ding. Gunster. Pretty sure its because I accidently sent them akerman senterfitt's cover letter instead of my transcript. Oh well. Second CB of the week went well. Anyone heard anything from Carlton Fields? White & Case FL?

target

Silver

Post by target » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 pm

haha, you tell me. I've always thought it is an activity, but I guess it could be an honor too if grades involve.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Our career services advises us to list it as an honor, but all our journals (including non-law review, secondary ones) require you to participate in the write-on competition. If you put a good faith effort into the writing competition, you were virtually guaranteed a spot at one of the secondary journals, but technically you still went through a competitive process. I guess if you literally just signed up to join your journal, you might want to list it under activities instead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:13 pm

screener with F&J DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:24 pm

got a call from an unknown # in one of my target area codes at work today...but it was the red cross asking for blood haha. i signed up for an appt, so hopefully that will bring good vibes.

other than that, crickets from ~30 firms, one "we look at apps later in August."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 pm

All you guys who are mailing to secondary markets, what are your ties there and would you take an offer there over other markets? Asking because I've been having the most luck with a secondary market about which I'm kind of lukewarm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 pm

who do you guys contact when there's no "careers" section on a website or a designated HR/recruiting person?

a random partner??

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:who do you guys contact when there's no "careers" section on a website or a designated HR/recruiting person?

a random partner??
I try to find the hiring partner but if not, a random partner who either went to the same ug or ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:who do you guys contact when there's no "careers" section on a website or a designated HR/recruiting person?

a random partner??
Google search the firm name and "firm administrator" together and a lot of times LinkedIn will give you the name of the person. Then, figure out how the firm does emails (firstname.lastname@? firstinitial.lastname@) and you have the person. Otherwise, look for the managing partner of the firm. If none is specified, then go for a named partner. Failing that, look for same LS / undergrad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:10 am

Screener w/ Goodwin in NY last week...any idea when I should hear back? They come to our OCI but I got in early b/c I was in town and met a partner while "networking"

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Screener w/ Goodwin in NY last week...any idea when I should hear back? They come to our OCI but I got in early b/c I was in town and met a partner while "networking"
People from the PLIP were hearing that it will probably be sometime next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my first ding. Gunster. Pretty sure its because I accidently sent them akerman senterfitt's cover letter instead of my transcript. Oh well. Second CB of the week went well. Anyone heard anything from Carlton Fields? White & Case FL?

CCN here - dinged at Gunster. Not heard from White & Case, didn't apply to CF yet. Don't think CF is hiring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:35 pm

screener at brown rudnick in DC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:40 pm

These online application systems are an enormous waste of time. Blah.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Callback after screener at Sheppard Mullin SF

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got my first ding. Gunster. Pretty sure its because I accidently sent them akerman senterfitt's cover letter instead of my transcript. Oh well. Second CB of the week went well. Anyone heard anything from Carlton Fields? White & Case FL?

CCN here - dinged at Gunster. Not heard from White & Case, didn't apply to CF yet. Don't think CF is hiring.
Did you guys get your Gunster ding via e-mail? I am fully expecting mine to come anyday now. Haven't heard a peep from any of the other FL firms. =(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you guys get your Gunster ding via e-mail? I am fully expecting mine to come anyday now. Haven't heard a peep from any of the other FL firms. =(

Yeah I got mine via email - got a notice that they were reviewing my app like the day after I sent it and a rejection a couple days later. Havent heard a peep from any either except was granted a screener at one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:01 pm

what's it mean if I get a ding followed by a "we are reviewing your app"?

ETA: from the same firm, in the same office

lawschoofoo

New

Post by lawschoofoo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Alrighty then. I'm riding this fun boat. Hitting the Chicago Market pretty hard - NALP Directory and all. PM me for stats, and I will update with dings, callbacks.

Basic info - T100, top 2%, ED Board LR, Published (and cited), as well as significant IT professional experience

Also riding the clerkship boat, which is looking pretty good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 pm

So far 3 DC screeners from ~85 mass-mailings sent out over the past 3 weeks. Pretty happy with those results and hoping for more. I just re e-mailed the firms I applied to, letting them know I'll be in DC and available to interview for a few days in mid-August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So far 3 DC screeners from ~85 mass-mailings sent out over the past 3 weeks. Pretty happy with those results and hoping for more. I just re e-mailed the firms I applied to, letting them know I'll be in DC and available to interview for a few days in mid-August.
School range and stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So far 3 DC screeners from ~85 mass-mailings sent out over the past 3 weeks. Pretty happy with those results and hoping for more. I just re e-mailed the firms I applied to, letting them know I'll be in DC and available to interview for a few days in mid-August.
School range and stats?
Vandy/Texas, top 20%, lr.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Seems like many started having callbacks and this is fricken worrying me now (as I don't even have any initial screeners, ha).
Did anyone hear back from V50 law firms in nyc?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”