Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer 2013 Non-OCI Job Hunt (Mass Mail, Job Fairs, etc)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 am

I am doing corporate patent in-house, and my boss sent out recommendations unsolicited, and it's already turned into one interview next week. I haven't even started my mass mail

edit: 3L
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can any 3Ls or someone who knows 3Ls speak to if they are sending anything out, and hearing anything back, yet? I have heard mass mail later as a 3L but also hear of people doing it now so am confused. Is it detrimental to go too early? Thanks.
3Ls should probably start their own thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm open to working in a foreign office. I've heard that these offices are expanding, but only 3 firms with overseas offices are coming to OCI at my T14. Do I apply directly to these offices like any other mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a firm in my secondary market, and received an e-mail from the recruiting coordinator saying that the hiring partners would like to meet me next time I'm in the area. It sounds very laidback and casual, so I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm just (pleasantly) surprised given that my grades aren't exactly top-notch. I'm not currently at that location, but I think its worth it to fly there to meet the attorneys, even if its just for a screener. Does it sound like an interview to you guys though?
This sounds like a screener. This is exactly what happened to me, and both firms I met with decided to invite me to callbacks afterwords. I'd say its worth it.
Thanks for your response. Wow, that's awesome! Big congrats to you!! =) Any tips on how to turn a screener into a callback? I'm not the best interviewer but I'm working on it, and trying to have solid answers prepared for some tough questions. Thanks!
Thanks! Honestly, just relax and be likable and friendly. The beauty of thee screeners is sometimes they can go longer than 20 minutes since you're not one of 20-50 students the firm is interviewing at once. Show genuine and specific interest in the firm and its main practice areas. You'll be fine-good luck!
Thank you so much!! =)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:5 dings/ 200+ emails I sent out. GW Top 1/3.

I expect to be working at McDonalds next summer b/c I didn't decide to major in Biology undergrad....
Bio wouldn't have been that helpful. Sure you'd be pat-bar eligible, but no one wants a bio major without an advanced degree

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:5 dings/ 200+ emails I sent out. GW Top 1/3.

I expect to be working at McDonalds next summer b/c I didn't decide to major in Biology undergrad....
Bio wouldn't have been that helpful. Sure you'd be pat-bar eligible, but no one wants a bio major without an advanced degree
Yup, I find that out in the hard way. Should have taken a few of those engineering classes to make it biochem engineering or chem engineering.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

target wrote: Yup, I find that out in the hard way. Should have taken a few of those engineering classes to make it biochem engineering or chem engineering.
Out of those ChemE is most useful I think. Even still, pound for pound an EE/CS will get more offers

newyorkqueens

New

Post by newyorkqueens » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Got my first reply today from a big law firm in my home market. (I go to school out of state with no alumni connections).

The e-mail said they would like to bring me into the office for an interview on such and such date. Is this just a screener?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:42 pm

newyorkqueens wrote:Got my first reply today from a big law firm in my home market. (I go to school out of state with no alumni connections).

The e-mail said they would like to bring me into the office for an interview on such and such date. Is this just a screener?
It sounds like it. A) A callback usually has a schedule they give you ahead of time of all the attorneys youll be meeting with B) You usually have to do some sort of screener first (either in person or via phone/skype). Good luck!

newyorkqueens

New

Post by newyorkqueens » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
newyorkqueens wrote:Got my first reply today from a big law firm in my home market. (I go to school out of state with no alumni connections).

It sounds like it. A) A callback usually has a schedule they give you ahead of time of all the attorneys youll be meeting with B) You usually have to do some sort of screener first (either in person or via phone/skype). Good luck!
Just got an email with 4 different attorneys I'll be interviewing with that same day. I think that's a good sign!

BTW - 60 emails sent 1 reply in 2 weeks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:48 pm

newyorkqueens wrote:
stats?

newyorkqueens

New

Post by newyorkqueens » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
newyorkqueens wrote:
stats?
Median at top 25

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:44 pm

tag

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Actually, for future reference, I've found that mass mail interviews tend to be callback-style, especially if they're having to make an effort to bring you in. Just my experience.

teabreeze

New

Post by teabreeze » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 am

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Actually, for future reference, I've found that mass mail interviews tend to be callback-style, especially if they're having to make an effort to bring you in. Just my experience.
So I know interviews with 3+ people is most probably a callback, but this is usually with associates. What about interviews with 2 partners?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Your strategy will no change whether it is a screener CB. CBs are just like 4 screeners in a row.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:39 pm

so, can someone give me the 101 to mass mail? I know what market I want to target and was wondering what the most efficient way to target firms that are not attending OCI. Martindale? NAALP? etc. Also, based on what I've read it seems the consensus is to email them, right?
Thanks

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Just began mass mailing last night. I would like to be done before Aug. 1st. I have about 60 firms on my list, I am just wondering if this is over kill. I am attending one job fair, plus doing oci. I guess better to be safe then sorry. I guess in this economy you can never be too safe. T2, Top 20% (if my school ranked) + LR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Anyone here going to use JD Match? Seems like it's legitimate, but the site is pretty awfully designed.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:43 pm

So I wrote a couple of CLs and will be emailing them today. Should I make it all one PDF or send several files? I think someone earlier said to just make it one PDF but I want to double check.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:58 pm

ilovesf wrote:So I wrote a couple of CLs and will be emailing them today. Should I make it all one PDF or send several files? I think someone earlier said to just make it one PDF but I want to double check.
I've been making CL, resume, transcript one PDF.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:12 pm

I planning on making the transcript and resume one PDF, then putting the cover letter into the body of the email.

lucield

New

Post by lucield » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 pm

does it make any difference whether we send them out today v tomorrow? this still being a weekend day and all.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:30 pm

wuduhel wrote:
ilovesf wrote:So I wrote a couple of CLs and will be emailing them today. Should I make it all one PDF or send several files? I think someone earlier said to just make it one PDF but I want to double check.
I've been making CL, resume, transcript one PDF.
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that was the right way to do it.

On another note, I can't figure out if someone is male or female by the name. A google search just showed up that in one nationality it is a male name, and in another it is a female name, so that was not helpful. There are no google pictures or anything of this person. What would you guys do about the salutation in this case?
edit: nvm, solved it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”