character and fitness

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

character and fitness

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 am

so here's my situation. i had some dorm neighbors in college who i did not get along with. they called the campus police on me 3 or 4 times that year when i had friends over in my room or played my music too loudly. usually, the campus police just told me to keep it down but didn't issue a citation or anything. one time, one of my friends was given a citation because he had a beer and was underage. however, i was 21 and was not given any citation.

for a C&F question asking if i had ever been disciplined, warned or placed on probation etc., by a university, do you guys think this needs to be disclosed?

Anonymous User

Re: character and fitness

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 1:17 pm

any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 1:17 pm

yes

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so here's my situation. i had some dorm neighbors in college who i did not get along with. they called the campus police on me 3 or 4 times that year when i had friends over in my room or played my music too loudly. usually, the campus police just told me to keep it down but didn't issue a citation or anything. one time, one of my friends was given a citation because he had a beer and was underage. however, i was 21 and was not given any citation.

for a C&F question asking if i had ever been disciplined, warned or placed on probation etc., by a university, do you guys think this needs to be disclosed?

So the question asks if YOU have ever been disciplined. You weren't given any citation, but your friend was.

I don't see any reason to disclose...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Having the campus police tell you to pipe down is just that--the campus police telling you to pipe down. You were not disciplined.
Discipline is formal admonishment for some type of wrong doing that violates the law, school policy, honor code or some other regulation.

If you were given a citation by the police for being loud then yes, you should disclose that. And then let it go. You will not be denied admission to the bar because of a loud college party.

The C&F does not ask you to disclose what happens to your friends and family. That has nothing to do with you. You cannot be in trouble for possessing alcohol when you are 21. But, if you were given a citation for supplying an underage person with alcohol you have to disclose that.

Besides, what exactly would you be disclosing? That once when you were at a party and you were of legal drinking age you had a drink.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 1:30 pm

ty ty.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm

That is kind of silly. I doubt that having campus PD tell you to "turn the music down" counts as a formal warning by the university regarding misconduct.

I would contact the university and ask them if they believe they have ever formally warned you.

Return to “Legal Employment”