Largest Summer Associate Classes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Largest Summer Associate Classes

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Maybe this is a question for my CSO but can anyone shed some light on the NYC firms with the largest summer associate classes that would be feasible for me? I have a 3.44 from MVP. I don't mind NYC but it isn't my first choice so I want the bids I use on NYC firms to have the best chance of panning out. I know I could NALP every firm but I figure some of you have already done this.

I'm not sure between transactional and litigation but my resume and summer job are stronger for transactional.

5ky

Re: Largest Summer Associate Classes

Postby 5ky » Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Percentile rank is more helpful than raw GPA. You should be able to get something like this from your CSO. If not, know that the largest summer classes are from firms probably outside your range -- most of the largest classes are at the more selective firms. Large ones to perhaps consider for yourself might include Willkie Farr, Sidley, Milbank, Cahill, Jones Day, Schulte Roth, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm

OP here. Thanks for the answer -- that seems like the right range. I don't know my % but median is a 3.2 apparently (I'm at M and don't have a problem if people are stalking that hard)

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu May 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this is a question for my CSO but can anyone shed some light on the NYC firms with the largest summer associate classes that would be feasible for me? I have a 3.44 from MVP. I don't mind NYC but it isn't my first choice so I want the bids I use on NYC firms to have the best chance of panning out. I know I could NALP every firm but I figure some of you have already done this.

I'm not sure between transactional and litigation but my resume and summer job are stronger for transactional.

So you're probably like top 20-25% of your class. That can get you lots of options -- it basically gets you in the door almost everywhere but doesn't blow anyone out of the water. It can get you V5 in NYC at a place like Skadden or Davis Polk with the right interviewing skills. I think it only keeps you from elite boutiques or places like SullCrom/Cravath that are super grade picky.

EDIT: If a 3.44 is closer to 30-35% of the class, then the analysis probably changes a bit and you should see the previous post.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:15 am

desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this is a question for my CSO but can anyone shed some light on the NYC firms with the largest summer associate classes that would be feasible for me? I have a 3.44 from MVP. I don't mind NYC but it isn't my first choice so I want the bids I use on NYC firms to have the best chance of panning out. I know I could NALP every firm but I figure some of you have already done this.

So you're probably like top 20-25% of your class. That can get you lots of options -- it basically gets you in the door almost everywhere but doesn't blow anyone out of the water. It can get you V5 in NYC at a place like Skadden or Davis Polk with the right interviewing skills. I think it only keeps you from elite boutiques or places like SullCrom/Cravath that are super grade picky.

EDIT: If a 3.44 is closer to 30-35% of the class, then the analysis probably changes a bit and you should see the previous post.

Yeah, I was working off the assumption OP wasn't at UVA, whose curve is a little steeper, i.e. a 3.44 at UVA would rank you higher than at M or P. Since a 3.44 is a bit outside top 25% at UVA, I think V10/V5 is probably an uphill battle.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:02 pm

In addition to the ones mentioned, I'd guess you're probably also competitive at Kirkland and Ropes NYC with those numbers, along with White & Case and Shearman. Those should all be in the 30+ class size.

Return to “Legal Employment”