Relying on Rutgers Regional Power?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Relying on Rutgers Regional Power?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I currently go to a T30 in the midwest, and just made it into the top 1/3 of the class, but I want to practice in NYC/NJ/Philly. I have strong ties there, and that's where I want to make my career. Rutgers-Newark's OCI has way more of the firms I want to bid on (there are almost none here), but I'm worried that going from a T1 to a T2 would be a bad move for job prospects. If anything, it would actually be cheaper to attend Rutgers than what it currently costs me at my school (half scholly).

Should I make the switch?

2012JayDee

Re: Relying on Rutgers Regional Power?

Postby 2012JayDee » Wed May 30, 2012 6:06 pm

You will find it difficult to get an offer from NJ firms if you do not come from the area. They are very self-conscious about people using their firm as stepping stones to larger firms in NY/Chi/DC.
That being said they love people that have strong ties to the area and are likely to stick around--so you could/should play that card.

However, what's the likelihood that you will even get a job offer from a NY/NJ/Philly based office if you're in the midwest? I'm guessing it's pretty low.

If you want to work on in the NY/J/P market you would probably do better going to a school in that area.
**newsflash** employers on the east coast have no clue what your random midwestern law school is ranked.

From a pride standpoint if you think attending a school in the midwest is better because of its rank I can assure you that you will more than likely regret that decision at the end of your 3 years when you have zero contacts in your region of choice and no job prospects to speak of.
If you attend Northwestern, Michigan or University of Chicago then I would say you'll probably do okay on reputation alone- but in NY/NJ/Ph the reputation of the area law schools is VERY STRONG!!! Most of the hiring partners come from the areas law schools (save the Harvard, Yale types)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185865

Anonymous User

Re: Relying on Rutgers Regional Power?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 am

2012JayDee wrote:You will find it difficult to get an offer from NJ firms if you do not come from the area. They are very self-conscious about people using their firm as stepping stones to larger firms in NY/Chi/DC.
That being said they love people that have strong ties to the area and are likely to stick around--so you could/should play that card.

However, what's the likelihood that you will even get a job offer from a NY/NJ/Philly based office if you're in the midwest? I'm guessing it's pretty low.

If you want to work on in the NY/J/P market you would probably do better going to a school in that area.
**newsflash** employers on the east coast have no clue what your random midwestern law school is ranked.

From a pride standpoint if you think attending a school in the midwest is better because of its rank I can assure you that you will more than likely regret that decision at the end of your 3 years when you have zero contacts in your region of choice and no job prospects to speak of.
If you attend Northwestern, Michigan or University of Chicago then I would say you'll probably do okay on reputation alone- but in NY/NJ/Ph the reputation of the area law schools is VERY STRONG!!! Most of the hiring partners come from the areas law schools (save the Harvard, Yale types)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185865

Thanks. Yeah, I don't go to UChi, NW or M. I go to a T30, and I'm from NJ and want to have a career there. I don't even want Biglaw (but I don't want the 10 man shitlaw firm either). I'd like to work for a strong NJ firm where I can make decent money and work in NJ. None of these types of firms come to my school.

But the question is: won't these firms at OCI be judging me based on my grades and my current school's rep? Wouldn't I fare as well just by sending in resumes? What else can Rutgers do for me besides its OCI?

Return to “Legal Employment”