Fordham Fall From Grace

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fordham Fall From Grace

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 am

Hey all, I only have two grades from Fordham for spring semester so far but I'm already bracing myself for the doomsday scenario, which amounts to me being median bombed this semester. Last semester I was within the top 5-10%, but my legal writing grade creeped in at a B- (3 credits; never took the class overly seriously given its lack of relative weight and utter arbitrariness in grading) and my leg reg grade just flew through at a mediocore B +. I'm hoping for the best, but my suspicion is that the next two classes will, in one permutation or another, amount to 10 credits of B+. How will a stellar autumn and a mediocore fall register at Fordham's OCI? No special circumstances; more or less straight through school, software experience but no tech degree; hoping for LR but dubious.

Anonymous User

Re: Fordham Fall From Grace

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 1:53 pm

When you consider that a B+ (3.3) is roughly top 33% of the class... is it really that big of a deal?
I think you should be more concerned about your B- in legal writing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm not concerned about any individual grade -- I'm concerned about the net effect on my job prospects, along with what OCI employers may see as a "downward trend" or a negative indication from my B- in legal writing.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Assuming you're at a B+ (3.3), you probably dont have much of a shot at biglaw. sorry.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not concerned about any individual grade -- I'm concerned about the net effect on my job prospects, along with what OCI employers may see as a "downward trend" or a negative indication from my B- in legal writing.

Anonymous User wrote:When you consider that a B+ (3.3) is roughly top 33% of the class... is it really that big of a deal?
I think you should be more concerned about your B- in legal writing.

I'm with the anon responder. Legal writing gets a disproportionate emphasis by people making a hiring decision because they see it as a proxy for legal writing ability. While it's debatable if it is a good proxy, it is at least based on your writing and research skills, as opposed to exams, which are based on even more arbitrary abilities. Having a good story about using your 1L summer job as a place where you improved your writing ability would be a good thing to develop. I don't know Fordham's curve, but given they sent 20% to BigLaw in the last set of numbers, being just outside top third without main journal or a reg number would be very difficult.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Wed May 30, 2012 5:51 pm

You're still around top 15-25%. Chill out.

Also, Bronx Bum is a well established troll.

ETA: Even if your other two grades are B+s, you'll still be within or around top 25% (depending on what exactly your first semester grades were). If that happens then OCI will not be a breeze by any means, however you should get a decent # of interviews, so if you interview well enough and impress enough people you can get something.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 pm

tedalbany wrote:You're still around top 15-25%. Chill out.

ETA: Even if your other two grades are B+s, you'll still be within or around top 25% (depending on what exactly your first semester grades were). If that happens then OCI will not be a breeze by any means, however you should get a decent # of interviews, so if you interview well enough and impress enough people you can get something.

What did I say in my post that was trolling at all? If he's top33 percent he doesn't have much of a shot. Is that wrong at all? Lol at tls. You can't even tell the truth.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Wed May 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
tedalbany wrote:You're still around top 15-25%. Chill out.

What did I say in my post that was trolling at all? If he's top33 percent he doesn't have much of a shot. Is that wrong at all? Lol at tls. You can't even tell the truth.

But he isn't top 33%. Top 5-10% first semester + B+s second semester is about top 25% on the Fordham curve. Nothing wrong with being a realist as opposed to an optimist, but you're a pessimist.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu May 31, 2012 7:00 am

Well then I guess we're both assuming what his standing is. FWIW as a Fordham student, I know that your LRW grade comes in second semester. So the B- would be applied this semester and didn't play a role in his first semester 5-10%. It's not as simple as "5-10% with B+s this semester". He has a B-, which are actually pretty rare at Fordham I think ( I never had one and I'm far from a model student).

And there's nothing wrong with telling someone to brace for the worst. I had stright B+s at Fordham the first semester and I immediately started looking for alternatives to OCI. Even with a slight raise of the GPA second semester (yup, I happen to be in that 25-33% range that OP speaks of), I didn't get anything from OCI but I ended up landing a smaller firm gig outside of OCI.

OP should obviously go through OCI but should have his sights set on something outside of OCI as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 8:21 am

My grades at Fordham a few years ago. 1st semester ~3.55. 2nd ~3.25. Didn't have a problem getting biglaw at oci. No work experience or anything like that. Secondary journal. Good luck (I also never had a b- at Fordham, though I guess legal writing is the easiest class to get one)

Return to “Legal Employment”