PhD without dissertation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PhD without dissertation

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 pm

Dissertations look like a bitch. I just want the PhD title. Any out there that get to skip the 200 page book they call a dissertation?

MarkRenton

Re: PhD without dissertation

Postby MarkRenton » Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 pm

That's why Ph.D.'s are hard and everyone doesn't already have one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 31, 2012 12:46 am

Difficulty of dissertation relative to other efforts toward PhD = highly dependent on field. Dissertation is an afterthought for many. Would offer a better reply but this thread seems silly.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu May 31, 2012 1:18 am

Are you serious? The dissertation seems like the best part!

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 am

There are some online degrees that don't require any effort at all

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu May 31, 2012 1:46 am

LOL. I have a PhD. The dissertation was the easy part.

If they're going to fail you, they do so before you write the PhD - there are exams for that. Once you get past the exams, so long as you're persistent and just keep writing you'll eventually get the degree. It doesn't have to be all that good, unless you want a job in the discipline you wrote it in (and then you'd better be able to get a couple of good articles out of it, perhaps a book).

At any rate, the trend these days in many disciplines is to write a dissertation as a series of thematically connected articles - or something approaching that. If you can write one article, you can write five on the same theme.

It's probably different in the sciences, though.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu May 31, 2012 10:49 am

^you must be talking about the US - the oral is difficult but the dissertation is easy
In the UK, it normally takes even shorter to complete it. even a science phd can be done in 3 years. however, there is no guarantee that the outside examiners will not fail you and give you a masters instead.
i think it seems 'difficult' to some people because they like following rules and do not want to produce something 'relatively' original.

so, if you want it done quickly, do it in the UK
if you want the relative certainty, do it in the US.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 am

cantaboot wrote:^you must be talking about the US - the oral is difficult but the dissertation is easy
In the UK, it normally takes even shorter to complete it. even a science phd can be done in 3 years. however, there is no guarantee that the outside examiners will not fail you and give you a masters instead.
i think it seems 'difficult' to some people because they like following rules and do not want to produce something 'relatively' original.

so, if you want it done quickly, do it in the UK
if you want the relative certainty, do it in the US.

The system in the UK is sufficiently different from the US that it can be jarring.

PhD programs vary wildly from country to country and school to school, not to mention by subject matter.
don't look at the generalities. If you know what PhD you're going for, research the schools and the individual requirements & The importance of oral v dissertation v research project, etc which can be completely different

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu May 31, 2012 11:15 am

yeah. thanks.
just personal anecdotes my pals had no problem getting science phds within 4 years. and i'm talking about top british research universities.
as said, go to those websites and find for yourself.

btw, I have included sydney on my must-travel list.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 pm

cantaboot wrote:yeah. thanks.
just personal anecdotes my pals had no problem getting science phds within 4 years. and i'm talking about top british research universities.
as said, go to those websites and find for yourself.

btw, I have included sydney on my must-travel list.

I was ginna send you a PM, but I can't (?)
Ate you from England?

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu May 31, 2012 12:52 pm

i'll talk to you later

Return to “Legal Employment”