What happens to the associates and staff at Dewey?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
notaznguy

What happens to the associates and staff at Dewey?

Postby notaznguy » Tue May 29, 2012 5:14 pm

I've been reading about the Dewey case and I believe the partners pretty much jumped ship, but were able to just move on with other firms. But what happens to their associates? How hard is it for new associates to even find new jobs with firms, especially if the firm you worked for just went down? How do employers now view former associates of Dewey?

Anonymous User

Re: What happens to the associates and staff at Dewey?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 5:25 pm

They pretty much hit the ground running for the NLJ 250. It'll look something like this.

Napt

Postby Napt » Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Associates will be fighting for $50k shitlaw jobs in MFH and the rest will be stuck in SullCrom's basement doing doc review for $20/hr.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Napt wrote:Associates will be fighting for $50k shitlaw jobs in MFH and the rest will be stuck in SullCrom's basement doing doc review for $20/hr.

The associates that didn't already jump ship, yes. But a very large percentage already got out.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 29, 2012 8:27 pm

notaznguy wrote:I've been reading about the Dewey case and I believe the partners pretty much jumped ship, but were able to just move on with other firms. But what happens to their associates? How hard is it for new associates to even find new jobs with firms, especially if the firm you worked for just went down? How do employers now view former associates of Dewey?

If the associates were liked and skilled, they may follow the defecting partners to their new homes, or go to firms doing similar work. But, as noted above, those who could do this did it already. For the inexperienced and/or unpopular associates, it's dark days.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:31 pm

Renzo wrote:
notaznguy wrote:I've been reading about the Dewey case and I believe the partners pretty much jumped ship, but were able to just move on with other firms. But what happens to their associates? How hard is it for new associates to even find new jobs with firms, especially if the firm you worked for just went down? How do employers now view former associates of Dewey?

If the associates were liked and skilled, they may follow the defecting partners to their new homes, or go to firms doing similar work. But, as noted above, those who could do this did it already. For the inexperienced and/or unpopular associates, it's dark days.

It also depends on where they were in their careers. A second year doc review manager is probably less desirable then the fifth year who maybe had some client experience or at least knew the details of that particular area of law. I've heard that the first few years in biglaw tend to rot useful legal skills compared to working for a DA/PD or clerking and that it is only when you are getting near jumping ship that you start to re-learn how to be a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 pm

See this is why you should do things like clerk, or work at an AUSA office, or do other things before you turn 35.

Firms don't care about you or where you're at in your career or where you'll be 5 years from now. There is but one individual who cares - you. So go clerk in a district court if you have the opportunity, go clerk on an appellate court, go try to get that AUSA job. Whatever money you leave on the table is absolutely worth it in terms of the skills you'll add to your toolkit as a litigator.

Don't just follow the blind into big law in droves only to get Dewey'd or Latham'd and THEN scramble to find meaningful opportunity.

And if you're not competitive for clerkship/AUSA, then do whatever's needed to add skills as a lawyer - don't just show up to work trying to pick up paychecks and be content or secure in whatever job position you have.

I don't think Dewey was a foreseeable outcome. This could happen to any of your firms.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:01 am

What is this, is the Legal Employment forum being invaded by 0Ls again?

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed May 30, 2012 12:35 pm

RVP11 wrote:What is this, is the Legal Employment forum being invaded by 0Ls again?

In other news, this anonymous user guy posts a lot.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed May 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:See this is why you should do things like clerk, or work at an AUSA office, or do other things before you turn 35.

Firms don't care about you or where you're at in your career or where you'll be 5 years from now. There is but one individual who cares - you. So go clerk in a district court if you have the opportunity, go clerk on an appellate court, go try to get that AUSA job. Whatever money you leave on the table is absolutely worth it in terms of the skills you'll add to your toolkit as a litigator.

Don't just follow the blind into big law in droves only to get Dewey'd or Latham'd and THEN scramble to find meaningful opportunity.

And if you're not competitive for clerkship/AUSA, then do whatever's needed to add skills as a lawyer - don't just show up to work trying to pick up paychecks and be content or secure in whatever job position you have.

I don't think Dewey was a foreseeable outcome. This could happen to any of your firms.

I hope you fall in a hole and never get out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 1:01 pm

As an AUSA, I completely agree. One thing I find utterly astounding is the lack of vision law students have beyond their first job. 90 percent of you entering biglaw will find yourselves utterly screwed by the industry. The amount of dithering about summer associate life is funny. Y'all need a sticky thread about exit options, what you need to do to have freaking exit options, and what the hell to do when inevitably biglaw screws you (and yes, it will. You are not that special. Sorry).

Return to “Legal Employment”